• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

Best And Worst Disney Adaptations

Ok all Disney movies are for the most part based on something what do you all think are the best and worst adaptations. For me:

Best: Sleeping Beauty( can't think of too much they changed from the original fairy tale.)

Worst : Peter Pan(It's an insult to JM Barrie's classic story. The 2003 version leaves the cartoon in the dust.)

How bout you guys.
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

•   
    • Minion

Re: Best And Worst Disney Adaptations

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyForever
    Ok all Disney movies are for the most part based on something what do you all think are the best and worst adaptations. For me:

Best: Sleeping Beauty( can't think of too much they changed from the original fairy tale.)

Worst : Peter Pan(It's an insult to JM Barrie's classic story. The 2003 version leaves the cartoon in the dust.)

How bout you guys.
    In a way I REALLY disagree with you on Peter Pan... It wasn't untill the animated version appeared that you saw a version of Peter that really "worked"... The story works, though altered; the music tight... And the film is likely the studio's Best Work... What makes it such a great film... Peter was played by a young boy, and can fly freely...

The worst adaptation I would say is how the Dark Cauldron butchered Loyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles .. (I can can just hear the Sisters of Morovia turn me into a toad on this... But I think even they know that the movie was cut, and with it plot holes you can run a diesel truck through... I hope beyond hope that one day Disney will see fit to produce a DVD where the movie is restored... Though I fear it will not help, the damage was already done, as it left out a key character, that I think would have made the plot line make sense.)
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Your premise is shaky - - Do "best adaptation" and "greatest fidelity to source" equate? Not really.

Except for Act I, Sleeping Beauty is quite different from the Perrault and Grimm versions, wherein the Princess sleeps for 100 years and is awakened by a stranger.

Disney's adaptation of Peter Pan was greatly influenced by the successful live-action silent film from Paramount, which Disney bought in its entirety to adapt for its own film. And it is, in spirit, quite in line with the Barrie themes, contrary to publicity for the more recent remake (which is in itself liberally borrowing from the Disney cartoon version and visualization).

Research.

• insufferable know-it-all

There are far more differences to sleeping beauty. I remember reading a version where there were some 13 fairies, with little judgement on one being necessarily evil, and they were served dinner off golden plates, but they only had 12 golden plates, so they decided rather than give one fairy lesser plates, they just wouldn't invite her at all, so she got insulted and that's why she cast the spell.

Snow White's a pretty good adaptation if you ignore the fact that they too out the comb and the corset (I mean, how dumb IS this girl?)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

Also, Snow White borrows the ending of Sleeping Beauty: the kiss - - in the Grimm version of Snow White, the dwarfs drop the casket and the bit of apple falls from her mouth, waking her up.

• Circle of Ancients

Sleeping Beauty is certainly not true to any version of the story out there. It is rather original and only borrows elements from each tale. Although the film does the credit Perrault version, it has more similarities to the Grimm version.

This is why Sleeping Beauty is the best Disney adaptation of any story. It borrows from all the versions of the tale, uses and updates the classic ballet music, and adds its own originality to the overall story. It is strange, however, since Walt was not always the key figure behind this film, since he was so busy with Disneyland. He, of course, made all of the big and important decisions, including getting Eyvind Earle to do all of the backgrounds. But much of the major character design and deveopment was left up to the artists themselves, like Marc Davis. It has a truly superb cast of voices, espcecially Eleanor Audley as Maleficent.

• Rainicorn.

Treasure Planet was just awful.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• insufferable know-it-all

But would have been a darn decent film if only it'd been SUNG

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    But would have been a darn decent film if only it'd been SUNG
    I like the fact that both Atlantis and TP didn't have any songs it made them different.

And yeah I guess SB is very different, that was the only one i had never read the actual story. i just couldn't think of one i new Disney adapted well.
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

• On Autopilot

Hmm... for best, I'd have to say a split between Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan. (The Dragon from SB and The crocodile just work for me!)

And uh... if we're going to sing, lets make it worth our while, since there were many a good opportunity in Atlantis and Treasure Planet, but.. gawd, no Home on the Range please

And I liked it, but man oh man did they chop up the mythology in Hercules