Can I get in trouble?

Hi all. Shooterjim here, a new member . I'm not sure if I'm in the right place or not but I have a question. I'm going to be retireing next August and starting up a small woodcrafting business out of my garage. I make small banks using old post office lock boxes and would like to offer them to Disney fans incorporating Disney pins and such into thier construction. Can anyone tell me if I would be violating any proprietery or copyright laws in doing so? If nobody has an answer, can anyone point me in the right direction to find out. I would appreciate any help in this. The banks I create can be viewed at:
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...d=247679828103
    I would also like to offer other creations using Disney items. Thanks in advance for any info received......Jim Devin-Vacaville,CA.

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Can I get in trouble?

I'm not a lawyer. However... it seems to me that if your purchase the pins, Disney is getting their cut of the deal - how could it be any different than a dressmaker using a Disney print fabric to make a dress for a client?

If the clients are the ones choosing and purchasing the pins, then there's no issue at all because you're just making an object that could contain ANYONE's pins.

But again, IANA lawyer

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I'm not a lawyer. However... it seems to me that if your purchase the pins, Disney is getting their cut of the deal - how could it be any different than a dressmaker using a Disney print fabric to make a dress for a client?

If the clients are the ones choosing and purchasing the pins, then there's no issue at all because you're just making an object that could contain ANYONE's pins.

But again, IANA lawyer
    Thanks for the reply Morrigoon. I feel the same way but would like to cover all the bases just in case. The last thing I would need is a lawsuit at the start of a new business. I will incorporate Disney memoribilia in stuff I create for myself and family but will hold off until I get a concrete answer one way or the other from someone at Disney. I could always offer to include something a customer/client sends me with a reduction in the final price of shipping thier item to me. But with the world full of frauds, people may not trust me, and rightfully so, and think it's a scam to get thier items. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks again for the reply...............SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shooterjim
    Thanks for the reply Morrigoon. I feel the same way but would like to cover all the bases just in case. The last thing I would need is a lawsuit at the start of a new business. I will incorporate Disney memoribilia in stuff I create for myself and family but will hold off until I get a concrete answer one way or the other from someone at Disney. I could always offer to include something a customer/client sends me with a reduction in the final price of shipping thier item to me. But with the world full of frauds, people may not trust me, and rightfully so, and think it's a scam to get thier items. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks again for the reply...............SJ
    "Live every day like it's your last. After all, we are ALL living on borrowed time".

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Beautiful work, by the way! And welcome to MiceChat!

Be sure to start a thread in the Community Outpost, where you're welcome to pitch your wares to fellow MiceChatters.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Ditto to what DP said. Welcome and beautiful work. I can already tell, I'd be interested, so count me as a potential customer.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon

But again, IANA lawyer
    I agree with Morrigoon... As long as you are not altering the pin significantly to change the image, or creating a new image inplace of the pin, I think you will be alright... Disney already made their commission on the pin... They expect pins to be collectable, tradeable, and therefor resellable... And I would imagin that would include even fraiming them as for display and protection and reselling the fraimed work...
    Check out my other blog:

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Welcome and beautiful work!!!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Wow! Thanks to all who replied and thanks for the kind words about my work. I've only been doing this for about 2 years and am trying to "hone my skills" enough to make a go of the business. I like to create and be it cars or woodcrafting, the major part of the enjoyment I get is from the actual building. If I get good enough and if enough people request my stuff, I will probably make some demonstration pieces to display. However, if the woodcrafting becomes a "job" I will probably quit doing it. Again, thanks to all for the replies and compliments...............SJ