Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

WDI responds to the Al Lutz "small world" makeover story - LA Times, 3/19/08

Brady MacDonald of the LA Times got a comment from WDI in regards to the Small World news Al Lutz broke last month.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1530

An “idiotic plan” to add Mickey Mouse and other Disney characters as well as an American tribute scene to Disneyland’s It’s a Small World represents a “gross desecration” that would “bastardize” the stylized artwork and “marginalize” the original theme of the boat ride, wrote the family of the classic attraction’s creator in an open letter to Disney executives.

Disney officials said some additions — known as “plussing” in Imagineering parlance — will be made to Small World but that no decision had been made on specific creative changes to the 14-minute ride despite the speculation.

“No one approaches our classic attractions with more reverence than Disney Imagineers who take great care when refreshing beloved attractions,” said Marilyn Waters, a Disney Imagineering spokeswoman. “As with all our classics, any enhancements made to It’s a Small World will be in the original spirit of celebrating the children of the world.”

The Mouse still insists the Small World overhaul has absolutely nothing to do with the ever-increasing waistlines of Americans.
    Much more at the link...

And here is the link to the Blair Family letter sent to Disney

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2008/03/blair-family-speaks.html
    Last edited by Dustysage; 03-19-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Link added to Al Lutz's Small World Story
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: WDI responds to the Al Lutz "small world" makeover story - LA Times, 3/19/08

I should also mention that Dateline's Disneyland Andy Castro also got a mention in the article.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 03-19-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: link added to Dateline Disneyland
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Re: WDI responds to the Al Lutz "small world" makeover story - LA Times, 3/19/08

Those imagineers showed so much reverence to WDW's Tiki Room, Journey into Imagination, and Spaceship Earth (deep sarcasm). Heck, they even managed to make WDW's POTC far worse than it already was by removing the iconic talking skull and crossbones.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I think that if they do it right, Small World could be a much more entertaining attraction than it is now. It is a good ride, and a classic ride, but if it was plussed in the right way (think of the new Jungle Cruise enhancements at DL rather than the the craptacular Tiki Room Under New Management at WDW) - it could be a great ride. It sounds like all they are planning to do is integrate a few Disney characters into the existing show scenes. That doesn't really bother me. Much like they did by adding Jack Sparrow into Pirates. I enjoy Pirates, Mansion, and Jungle Cruise much more since they have all received the "Plussing" treatment.

But one thing is for sure. They'll give the proposed changes a much closer look and make sure that the changes are worth it before approving them. Otherwise, they will be skewered when the new "More buoyant for fatter Americans" version of the ride opens next year.

And I'm sure the MiceChatters will be all too happy to provide the press with whatever quotes they need to complete their stories.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Shablagoo!

This kind of attention is good. It will keep Disney on their toes.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    This kind of attention is good. It will keep Disney on their toes.
    Exactly. If they want to mess with a classic attraction, they'd better be darn well sure that they are doing the right thing.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I think that if they do it right, Small World could be a much more entertaining attraction than it is now. It is a good ride, and a classic ride, but if it was plussed in the right way (think of the new Jungle Cruise enhancements at DL rather than the the craptacular Tiki Room Under New Management at WDW) - it could be a great ride. It sounds like all they are planning to do is integrate a few Disney characters into the existing show scenes. That doesn't really bother me. Much like they did by adding Jack Sparrow into Pirates. I enjoy Pirates, Mansion, and Jungle Cruise much more since they have all received the "Plussing" treatment.

But one thing is for sure. They'll give the proposed changes a much closer look and make sure that the changes are worth it before approving them. Otherwise, they will be skewered when the new "More buoyant for fatter Americans" version of the ride opens next year.

And I'm sure the MiceChatters will be all too happy to provide the press with whatever quotes they need to complete their stories.

-Dusty
    Exactly my thoughts. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't mind a few Disney characters in the attraction. Especially since the concept art that's been floating around (including the pin set) shows the characters in the Mary Blair style.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Mickey is not my Brother

I dont mind the addition of Disney Characters on the ride, heck its been so long since I have been on IASW that I hardly remember any of it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't mind a few Disney characters in the attraction. Especially since the concept art that's been floating around (including the pin set) shows the characters in the Mary Blair style.
    Wow! I felt like I was the only one who thought that. There is so much
    room in that entire building, and enhancements are done well, as DS said,
    it could be a big plus. Now, there are so many memorable scenes in
    Small World, I wouldn't want to see anything disappear, just added to what
    it already there.

• Banned User

If they add the American scene and do not remove the jungle one, then I am ok depending on how it is done.

Putting Disney characters in seems too calculated for my taste.

So much for all the people who argued the press wouldn't be interested in this story. lol.

- Anatole

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

great statement it neither confirms or denies anything whatsoever was he a politician once?

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

-Dusty
    Very well said, Sir Sage. I very much agree with this comment along with YoYo and Aladdin on this thread. I have been pleased with the plussing that has been implemented on the other classic attractions and welcome new additions that would enhance the "its a small world" experience.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• potterday.org

I was one of those people who would have been happy to see IASM razed due to my complete apathy towards the ride in general. Then someone on MiceChat pointed out that the attraction isn't just a ride. Whether you like it or not, it's art.

It is living, original art created by Mary Blair, and it is even studied.

Now, I'm no big fan of Mary Blair. But I recognize how iconic her work was, what an enormous influence it had on Walt and the projects he oversaw, and how much it channels a particular 1960's aesthetic zeitgeist. So I've had no choice at this point but to see the attraction in a different light.

So for these reasons I'm going to have to ally myself with the camp of recalcitrance to "plussing" Small World.
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Minion

For me this is not just about small world. If this type of thing continues then Disneyland would have to be rededicated. Broken and on the fringe, Disneyland would serve as a cross promotional tool leaving people with nothing more than a cheap thrill. And I'm not down with that.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Yes, because the Imagineers completely raided the integrity of classics like Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion when they plussed them. That Eddie Murphy AA sure is amazing. Let's not forget the scenes straight out of The Lion King that Disney added to Jungle Cruise...oh...wait.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast