Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Talking to Children's Place About Buying Back Disney Store Locations

Another thing I would love to see is Disney change the name back. "Disney Store" just sounds so generic compared to "The Disney Store".

• If we can dream it.......

I agree with the thought that Disney should bring back the Disney Gallery concept with fewer clothes and toys. It seems as if when The Disney Store decided to drop the adult themed merchandise the quality and attraction to the store dropped (I know that's when I stopped shopping or even going in there). I'm also not opposed to a mini World of Disney concept, bring some of the magic of the parks to all parts of the country. We can only hope!

• Too far from Disney World

One of our local stores closed suddenly about a month ago in Southern Ohio. We showed up at the mall and it was just gone. The one near my work is still open and I'm in there about once a week and the manager told me they aren't in danger of closing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one will remain the one for South Ohio!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Collectible-quality items that are a few notches above Wal-Mart grade mass merchandise, but not out of the price range of average consumers.
    ^ You've said it all right there. It's a difficult balance to achieve.

Nice, but not too nice. Way cool stuff you want to have, but not so spendy it becomes extravagant.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Disney Store product lines don't mirror the Disney merchandise of other stores now. It's stores are each already a unique boutique environs.
    I have to disagree with this. There are many times where that is true (recently: The 101 Dalmations line, the easter line, adults etc) but at the same time the HSM & Hannah lines are so close to say Walmart or Target, I can't easily pick out Disney Store stuff from the other retailers (and usually I'm quite good at that). In terms of toys or souvies they're very similar to other stores sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    I'd love to see them bring back the Disney Gallery store concept. Collectible-quality items that are a few notches above Wal-Mart grade mass merchandise, but not out of the price range of average consumers.
    I also agree with this idea!

As for myself, I'm not sure how i feel about the whole ordeal
    I think the Stores were just starting to become cohesive and functional again. I think the product has been great recently and people are excited to come to the Disney Store again.
    Most people don't even know we're not owned by Disney (they're shocked when I explain it to them).
    I think if I Disney can find a good mix of the TCP ideals and their own new ideas there won't be a problem.

Heck, if this means I get my 3 free park hopper passes and my discount back at Disneyland, I'm 100% for it :P

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Thank goodness! I worked the one by me (Hilltop Mall, near Pinole) during the holiday season the year before last. I just hope they keep our location open. Ours actually still has everything from the OLD design of the stores, including the sign. ^^

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    I have to disagree with this. There are many times where that is true (recently: The 101 Dalmations line, the easter line, adults etc) but at the same time the HSM & Hannah lines are so close to say Walmart or Target, I can't easily pick out Disney Store stuff from the other retailers (and usually I'm quite good at that). In terms of toys or souvies they're very similar to other stores sometimes.
    But the toys at Wal*Mart don't have the Disney Store logo.

As for myself, I'm not sure how i feel about the whole ordeal
    I think the Stores were just starting to become cohesive and functional again. I think the product has been great recently and people are excited to come to the Disney Store again.
    Most people don't even know we're not owned by Disney (they're shocked when I explain it to them).
    I think if I Disney can find a good mix of the TCP ideals and their own new ideas there won't be a problem.
    The problem seems to be that there is still something rotten at the core of the Disney Store business plan. After all this time, they should still not be the financial burden that they are.

What I think will be most telling is when we get some information as to who is behind this at Disney. If it is Iger or Lasseter, I could see it just being about control and there being a plan to try and get them back to something special. If it is Rassulo and Parks and Resorts takes ownership, I would imagine we could start seeing more, smaller World of Disney stores. I could even see Parks and Resorts having a long term plan to dissolve local Disney Stores as the regional entertainment centers come online. The man I really want to find out is the big force behind this is Steve Jobs, and I think that says enough.

• Disney Store CM

I was really excited when I read the press release. I have stayed with my Disney Store and had secretly hoped that Disney would take us back someday. Taking back the stores will keey that Disney synergy.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Well.. I learned a lot at work today and though I can't say much, TCP is definitely letting Disney Store go. The Disney company is in talks but nothings official yet. Everything's moving very very quickly (for various reasons) to the point that regional managers and the like are getting weekly updates.

At this point the clearest thing is that no one knows what's going to happen. Everything is up in the air but moving quickly.
    I'll let you guys know what I learn as soon I'm sure it's okkay.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I really sympathize with the cast member/employees of those who
    have been through all this bouncing around. Wishing the best for you
    gals and guys!

•   
    • baby steps, baby steps...

Thank you Aladdin! Most of us at our Disney Store are on pins and needles just waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. It would be nice to be back in the Disney family again. Time will tell...a very short time....things ARE moving fast.
    A NoCal in a SoCal state of mind

It's going to be great for Disney ... they dumped a chain that really should have been put out of its misery after five years of total mismanagement ... and now will buy it back for a small percentage of what it dumped them for.

And with properties like pirates, princesses and Cars, it's not like the Stores aren't selling product.

But these stores never will be what they once were: special.

I lived in SoFla in the mid-80s and we were one of the first markets in the country to get Disney Stores ... back when each one was going to be themed differently. That didn't last, but they were still quality places where Disney lovers could go for a fix if they didn't happen to live near DL or WDW.

Back then, the stores were spotless and there weren't empty racks, piles of plush and tees on the floor, half drunk FRappucinos on shelves and filthy carpeting. Back then, the merchandise was almost all top quality and sales were non-existent. Unlike my local stores today, which apparently have been operating under the same semi-annual sale daily since at least 2002.

In the past year, I've spent a grand total of $44 at the chain, and $40 of it was on a gift card for a friend.

No watches, no art, no collectibles, very little adult clothing, no books (other than three copies of Birnbaum's that look like they were handled as much as the gals from the Emperors Club), very few CDs and DVDs ... nothing to spend on.

I would hope Disney straightens things out.

And, no, bringing back Paul Pressler (as a noted Disney gadfly on another site suggested) would not be the smartest way of doing so.

• I was deleted.

First of all, thanks Aladdin that's really sweet of you!
    At this point the clearest thing is that no one knows what's going to happen. Everything is up in the air but moving quickly.
    Yes, that is very much the case.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    It's going to be great for Disney ... they dumped a chain that really should have been put out of its misery after five years of total mismanagement ... and now will buy it back for a small percentage of what it dumped them for.

And with properties like pirates, princesses and Cars, it's not like the Stores aren't selling product.

But these stores never will be what they once were: special.

I lived in SoFla in the mid-80s and we were one of the first markets in the country to get Disney Stores ... back when each one was going to be themed differently. That didn't last, but they were still quality places where Disney lovers could go for a fix if they didn't happen to live near DL or WDW.

Back then, the stores were spotless and there weren't empty racks, piles of plush and tees on the floor, half drunk FRappucinos on shelves and filthy carpeting. Back then, the merchandise was almost all top quality and sales were non-existent. Unlike my local stores today, which apparently have been operating under the same semi-annual sale daily since at least 2002.

In the past year, I've spent a grand total of $44 at the chain, and $40 of it was on a gift card for a friend.

No watches, no art, no collectibles, very little adult clothing, no books (other than three copies of Birnbaum's that look like they were handled as much as the gals from the Emperors Club), very few CDs and DVDs ... nothing to spend on.

I would hope Disney straightens things out.

And, no, bringing back Paul Pressler (as a noted Disney gadfly on another site suggested) would not be the smartest way of doing so.
    In the past 21 years a lot changed for The Disney Store chain. Their success lead them to grow, and grow quickly! They expanded at the same time as other novelty stores -- all of which have closed or are close to non-existent today. (Nickelodeon, Discovery Channel, Warner Brothers, etc.) They also grew while their Consumer Products division began to skyrocket and licensing agreements expanded. They are now competing against themselves, their online divisions, and all of the DCP licensed products (regardless of quality.)

Once they expanded they were essentially World of Disney stores with similar products to the parks and prices. They had difficult competing as retailers when just next door guests could by Disney licensed merchandise for less. Those prices as high as they are work in the parks since guests are on vacation. But in your local Disney Store guests want to pay everyday prices. That's the conflict. Along with that is the notion of Disney as a retailer. The sheer quantity of each product they would create and send was outrageous, even for the top volume locations. This allowed guests to wait for the item to go on sale before purchasing it. TCP was successful in removing this notion from guests once their product hit in late 2006, but it didn't last for long.

The amount of adult clothing, collectibles, etc. have increased in the last five years -- surpassing Disney's levels by far. Not just that but they have re-introduced more than just adult t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, and snowglobes to this category. Now you can find stylized clothing, holiday outfits, pajamas (outside of the holiday season,) denim, canvases, and more variation in characters.

Another key area that Disney abandoned was infant. The Disney Store decided it would no longer make infant clothing. I'm not kidding. I was shocked to learn that but happy when TCP took over and created various infant clothing, including the New Born line since the infant clothing gift business is huge.

I will not lie and say that there is no need for improvement, but a lot has changed over the past few years since TCP took over TDS and not all of it has been bad. Yes, a few stores have closed but some have opened as well. They have tried more things and now they feel they don't have the time to try anymore. Many TDS CMs continue to try their best with what is offered and are just as hopeful and optimistic as the guests are in this development. It would be nice for the stores to get their ears back, so to speak. But right now we have a few weeks of waiting and hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    In the past 21 years a lot changed for The Disney Store chain. Their success lead them to grow, and grow quickly! They expanded at the same time as other novelty stores -- all of which have closed or are close to non-existent today. (Nickelodeon, Discovery Channel, Warner Brothers, etc.) They also grew while their Consumer Products division began to skyrocket and licensing agreements expanded. They are now competing against themselves, their online divisions, and all of the DCP licensed products (regardless of quality.)
    That's really the crux of the whole problem of Disney having its own retail chain.

Their stuff is so overexposed in so many places that Disney Stores have to offer something special. They don't.

They did at one time. I could spend an 30 minutes to an hour in my local store and that was tiny sf-wise compared to the average store today. I could spend longer in the amazing Disney Gallery locations.

Now what sets them apart? I don't see anything. I see tees and toys and
    costumes and plush and mugs and snowglobes and, even, UGH ... pins again.

But nothing special ... except maybe for a few CMs!

Once they expanded they were essentially World of Disney stores with similar products to the parks and prices. They had difficult competing as retailers when just next door guests could by Disney licensed merchandise for less. Those prices as high as they are work in the parks since guests are on vacation. But in your local Disney Store guests want to pay everyday prices. That's the conflict. Along with that is the notion of Disney as a retailer. The sheer quantity of each product they would create and send was outrageous, even for the top volume locations. This allowed guests to wait for the item to go on sale before purchasing it. TCP was successful in removing this notion from guests once their product hit in late 2006, but it didn't last for long.
    I haven't noticed any change, BPF, at all over the past 5-6 years to be honest ... in Disney's last few years everything was constantly on sale and now it seems to always be that way under CP.

Back in the 'good old days' you'd be hard-pressed to ever find more than one small shelf, usually hidden away, with anything less than full price. Disney didn't have sales back then.

I will not lie and say that there is no need for improvement, but a lot has changed over the past few years since TCP took over TDS and not all of it has been bad. Yes, a few stores have closed but some have opened as well. They have tried more things and now they feel they don't have the time to try anymore. Many TDS CMs continue to try their best with what is offered and are just as hopeful and optimistic as the guests are in this development. It would be nice for the stores to get their ears back, so to speak. But right now we have a few weeks of waiting and hoping for the best.
    I do hope for the best for the chain and its workers, but I'm not overly optimistic. When mainstream chains like Circuit City and Borders are in trouble, big trouble, a niche retailer that's lost its way seems like a very tough sell in today's recessionary conditions.

I just hope I'm wrong about this.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I haven't noticed any change, BPF, at all over the past 5-6 years to be honest ... in Disney's last few years everything was constantly on sale and now it seems to always be that way under CP.

Back in the 'good old days' you'd be hard-pressed to ever find more than one small shelf, usually hidden away, with anything less than full price. Disney didn't have sales back then.
    What I find worse about these sales is it shows exactly how much Disney is overcharging for cheap generic items. The place looks like Mickey's Dollar Store way too often.

Whenever I am at the register, I mean "box office", and I see somebody buying some of this stuff (like a baseball for $4.50!) I just want to scream, "Why are you buying this junk?!"

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast