Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Re: Disney Talking to Children's Place About Buying Back Disney Store Locations

Unfortunately, there really is an overly-simple reason for this. Disney WAY over-developed the chain. TCP are actually quite clever retailers, but considering their own fiscal difficulties, they bit off way more than they could chew.

I worked at the corporate office in a variety of capacities for a long time, and let me tell you, it was stressful as heck. I'd share more, but their are confidentiality issues to consider
    Last edited by boozemyer; 03-24-2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling

• Making my own Mousekteers

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    First of all, thanks Aladdin that's really sweet of you!Yes, that is very much the case.

In the past 21 years a lot changed for The Disney Store chain. Their success lead them to grow, and grow quickly! They expanded at the same time as other novelty stores -- all of which have closed or are close to non-existent today. (Nickelodeon, Discovery Channel, Warner Brothers, etc.) They also grew while their Consumer Products division began to skyrocket and licensing agreements expanded. They are now competing against themselves, their online divisions, and all of the DCP licensed products (regardless of quality.)

Once they expanded they were essentially World of Disney stores with similar products to the parks and prices. They had difficult competing as retailers when just next door guests could by Disney licensed merchandise for less. Those prices as high as they are work in the parks since guests are on vacation. But in your local Disney Store guests want to pay everyday prices. That's the conflict. Along with that is the notion of Disney as a retailer. The sheer quantity of each product they would create and send was outrageous, even for the top volume locations. This allowed guests to wait for the item to go on sale before purchasing it. TCP was successful in removing this notion from guests once their product hit in late 2006, but it didn't last for long.

The amount of adult clothing, collectibles, etc. have increased in the last five years -- surpassing Disney's levels by far. Not just that but they have re-introduced more than just adult t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, and snow globes to this category. Now you can find stylized clothing, holiday outfits, pajamas (outside of the holiday season,) denim, canvases, and more variation in characters.

Another key area that Disney abandoned was infant. The Disney Store decided it would no longer make infant clothing. I'm not kidding. I was shocked to learn that but happy when TCP took over and created various infant clothing, including the New Born line since the infant clothing gift business is huge.

I will not lie and say that there is no need for improvement, but a lot has changed over the past few years since TCP took over TDS and not all of it has been bad. Yes, a few stores have closed but some have opened as well. They have tried more things and now they feel they don't have the time to try anymore. Many TDS CMs continue to try their best with what is offered and are just as hopeful and optimistic as the guests are in this development. It would be nice for the stores to get their ears back, so to speak. But right now we have a few weeks of waiting and hoping for the best.
    THANK YOU! Seriously folks, those good old days that everyone is talking about were just totally unrealistic. I work in a Disney Store and about 90% of our business is mall moms that just want to take their kids somewhere that will entertain them. They don't want or need to buy anything. If we sold things at the prices that Disney does in the parks we'd never make our goals. As a matter of fact, that's why we never made our goals when we were owned by Disney. They buy the $5 balls to keep the kids quiet on the ride home. If it wasn't for the sales we'd almost never get them to buy. This is SMALL retail. Not the parks or the World of Disney. It's that Elite Disney mentality that led to wreck and ruin for the stores before.

I also love how people can say there are way to many and yet at the same time others are saying " oh no! I hope they don't close mine!" Every time one of our stores closes, even if it's temporary we hear about it from guests. Sometimes we close stores because the lease is up or we're remodeling but every time we get people coming into our stores upset and panicky that we're closing a store.

Kuzco and I will update when available but their is only so much we can say. Although technically anything we know everyone should know since we're a publicly traded company so we shouldn't know anything until it's announced.

• Your Average Joe

^^^ Thank you for your insight.

I have always enjoyed going into the store. I have always been treated very well whether I purchased an item or not. I hope everything works out.

• Rock Star Minion

I think the big problem with (The) Disney Store, regardless of who owns or operates them, is that you can buy Disney stuff everywhere. Cut back on WalMart's inventory, and people will have to go to (The) Disney Store for their Disney items.
    Or, sell DVDs on Monday at (T)DS before the typical Tuesday release date.

Oh, and to all those people hoping their local store will stay open: there is only one way to change an unproductive store into a productive one.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

There are more reports on this from the retail trades.

According to these, Children's Place is definitely getting out of the Disney Store business, Disney will buy back 2/3 of the stores and close the rest.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/...fx4800433.html

http://www.wwd.com/notavailable/dotc...=retailarticle

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    There are more reports on this from the retail trades.

According to these, Children's Place is definitely getting out of the Disney Store business, Disney will buy back 2/3 of the stores and close the rest.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/...fx4800433.html

http://www.wwd.com/notavailable/dotc...=retailarticle
    From the Forbes article:
    Disney confirmed the talks, and said the Disney Stores 'can be an important extension of the `Disney' brand.'
    Gosh, you think??
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

>>Disney confirmed the talks, and said the Disney Stores 'can be an important extension of the `Disney' brand.'<<

Why do I think this is more likely to mean 'Hannah Montana' than 'Walt Disney?'

• The line's too long...

For the Disney stores to be successful Disney needs to cut giving the same product to Wal-Mart and other retailers. Make some of the merchandise exclusive.
    Second, have some stuff for adults such as t-shirts, sweatshirts and some gift items.
    It's a fun place to visit but I rarely buy anything there. In any case, the old brick and mortar retail place for niche products may be dying a slow death due to internet sales anyway.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    From the Forbes article:
    Disney confirmed the talks, and said the Disney Stores 'can be an important extension of the `Disney' brand.'
    Gosh, you think??
    Ha! I thought the same thing the second I read that line!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    That's really the crux of the whole problem of Disney having its own retail chain.

Their stuff is so overexposed in so many places that Disney Stores have to offer something special. They don't.

They did at one time. I could spend an 30 minutes to an hour in my local store and that was tiny sf-wise compared to the average store today. I could spend longer in the amazing Disney Gallery locations.

Now what sets them apart? I don't see anything. I see tees and toys and
    costumes and plush and mugs and snowglobes and, even, UGH ... pins again.

But nothing special ... except maybe for a few CMs!
    Just curious (b/c I realize at this point trying to persude you that the stores aren't all that bad is a mute point), besides the obvious collectible (which we don't sell because they didn't sell) what do you expect to see in the stores? Everything you've listed besides toys and tees (and the occasional costume) are only offered at the stores or the parks.
    I'm just wondering what you want to find in a Disney Store. What merchandise you think will make it that much more "special"

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I haven't noticed any change, BPF, at all over the past 5-6 years to be honest ... in Disney's last few years everything was constantly on sale and now it seems to always be that way under CP.

Back in the 'good old days' you'd be hard-pressed to ever find more than one small shelf, usually hidden away, with anything less than full price. Disney didn't have sales back then.
    I will definitely agree that there are ridiculous amounts of sales anymore in the store. But in all honesty that's the publics fault, imo. i don't think our prices are really all that high (ignoring above mentioned $4.00 baseballs :P) but people first automatically think Disney's wicked expensive or second just won't buy anything until it's on sale.

Also, if you haven't seen a change in product from 3 (to 5) yrs ago to now, then you might not have been paying that much attention back then. A far larger portion of our store merch caters to adults as BPF pointed out than ever before.

Sorry, I'm done really. i know no matter what I'm going to defend the chain. That's how I role and it's personal to me and I'm bias and I won't lie to you about that.

• Shablagoo!

I loved the Disney Studio Collection of shirts for adults. Before they existed I spent less than $20 a year at Disney Store. Afterwards I started spending nearly $200 a year. I also liked seeing the pins again. Still my local store is now gone, so there goes my local source for Disney Magic (well, Disney Merchandise at least).

I think the thing that is the biggest asset for the Disney Stores under the Children's Place has been our adaptability. Disney is a monolith. It's very hard to get them to change things. TCP responds like lightning. If something doesn't sell we don't have it the next year. If something does really well we get a wider assortment the next year.

When guest were complaining about no Adult merchandise they phased it back in. When Adults complained that the merchandise sucked they hired outside consultants and found a way to make it better. I guess it's the fact that they are a learning chain that has helped them. I just hope that Disney takes that learning and keeps going and doesn't regress.

• I was deleted.

Hoop Holdings, LLC and Its Subsidiaries Announce Filing of Chapter 11 Petitions

Hoop Holdings, LLC and Its Subsidiaries Announce Filing of Chapter 11 Petitions
    March 26, 2008 - PrimeNewswire Press Release

Filing Does Not Apply to Parent Company, The Children's Place Retail
    Stores, Inc.

Pursuing Transfer of Substantial Portion of Disney Store North America
    Business to The Walt Disney Company Under Chapter 11 Case

SECAUCUS, N.J., March 26, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Hoop Holdings, LLC, a subsidiary of The Children's Place Retail Stores, Inc. (Nasdaq:PLCE), today announced that Hoop Holdings, LLC and its subsidiaries ("Hoop") D/B/A Disney Store North America ("DSNA") have voluntarily filed petitions under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, and the Canadian subsidiary expects to file under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act in Toronto, Canada. Hoop intends to pursue the transfer of a substantial portion of the DSNA business to an affiliate of The Walt Disney Company. Neither Hoop's parent company, The Children's Place Retail Stores, Inc., nor any of its parent company's other subsidiaries is commencing a Chapter 11 case.

These filings follow an extensive review of various strategic alternatives for the DSNA business, which is run by Hoop pursuant to a license agreement with The Walt Disney Company. Hoop and its parent company have been engaged in advanced negotiations concerning the transfer of a substantial portion of the DSNA business to The Walt Disney Company. In connection with these negotiations, Hoop's Board of Directors has determined, with the limited strategic and financial options available under the license agreement that its only alternative was to file bankruptcy.

Through these proceedings, Hoop expects to complete an orderly wind-down of its affairs. The transaction that is currently being negotiated is being pursued in order to maximize proceeds available to Hoop stakeholders. The transaction under negotiation is subject to the satisfaction of certain conditions, including approval of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court and the Canadian Court, and is targeted for completion by April 30, 2008.

In order to assist in the financing of the wind-down of Hoop's affairs, and subject to court approval, Hoop has executed a debtors-in-possession credit facility with Wells Fargo Retail Financing, consisting of a $35 million revolving credit facility, including a sub-facility for letters of credit.

Hoop has appointed a Chief Restructuring Officer, Perry M. Mandarino of Traxi, LLC, a firm that specializes in restructuring. Mr. Mandarino will work with Hoop's Board in guiding the business through the Chapter 11 process.

Hoop Holdings, LLC and its subsidiaries design, contract to manufacture and sell merchandise under the licensed "Disney Store" brand name. As of March 24, 2008, Hoop owned 322 Disney Stores in North America.

• Nice work Bonedaddy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    I think the thing that is the biggest asset for the Disney Stores under the Children's Place has been our adaptability. Disney is a monolith. It's very hard to get them to change things. TCP responds like lightning. If something doesn't sell we don't have it the next year. If something does really well we get a wider assortment the next year.

When guest were complaining about no Adult merchandise they phased it back in. When Adults complained that the merchandise sucked they hired outside consultants and found a way to make it better. I guess it's the fact that they are a learning chain that has helped them. I just hope that Disney takes that learning and keeps going and doesn't regress.
    But isn't this the problem? Why would TCP do away with all the adult merchandise to begin with? Why didn't they know that the merchandise would suck? Trial and error is how everybody learns, but I would have thought that the mistakes of the original Disney Store concept would have been ironed out when TCP took the stores over. As the husband of a wife who worked for The Disney Store, went elsewhere and then came back to Disney Store by TCP, the first time I walked in the new store I told her they had turned off half of the potential customer base. I couldn't find one thing in the store that I would have purchased for myself or my teen age kids. Not one. The toys looked like the stuff you get in a Happy Meal.

My other complaint was that Disney garments for adults don't have to scream 'Disney!' at the top of their lungs. The understated mouse on the 2 oxford cloth shirts I currently own is perfect. The mouse doesn't have to cover all of the front and most of the back for people to 'get' that you're a Disney fan. There's an adult market out there if the merchandise is well thought out. Some ties with one little mouse logo would sell like hotcakes. Re introducing the collectibles would attract customers. Top end Disney jewelry and watches have a market. Hannah Montana merchandise and other Disney Channel brands would sell to older kids and young teenagers. Mostly all I've seen is a bunch of crap that doesn't sell all that well in the regular stores and then gets pawned off to the outlet stores in order to get rid of it under TCP's watch. Halloween costumes and DVD releases excepted of course.

I think a new open minded business plan would work wonders. Find out what the customer wants and sell that.

• Fortuosity!

Halloween is currently my favorite time to shop at The Disney Store. The costumes and the nicer NBC collectibles are worth looking at, but if Disney is going to buy the stores back they need to realize that you have to stock good things all the time instead of just once a year. Christmas was really disappointing last year considering the potential. Hopefully Disney will fix this.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpynTN View Post
    But isn't this the problem? Why would TCP do away with all the adult merchandise to begin with? Why didn't they know that the merchandise would suck? Trial and error is how everybody learns, but I would have thought that the mistakes of the original Disney Store concept would have been ironed out when TCP took the stores over. As the husband of a wife who worked for The Disney Store, went elsewhere and then came back to Disney Store by TCP, the first time I walked in the new store I told her they had turned off half of the potential customer base. I couldn't find one thing in the store that I would have purchased for myself or my teen age kids. Not one. The toys looked like the stuff you get in a Happy Meal.

My other complaint was that Disney garments for adults don't have to scream 'Disney!' at the top of their lungs. The understated mouse on the 2 oxford cloth shirts I currently own is perfect. The mouse doesn't have to cover all of the front and most of the back for people to 'get' that you're a Disney fan. There's an adult market out there if the merchandise is well thought out. Some ties with one little mouse logo would sell like hotcakes. Re introducing the collectibles would attract customers. Top end Disney jewelry and watches have a market. Hannah Montana merchandise and other Disney Channel brands would sell to older kids and young teenagers. Mostly all I've seen is a bunch of crap that doesn't sell all that well in the regular stores and then gets pawned off to the outlet stores in order to get rid of it under TCP's watch. Halloween costumes and DVD releases excepted of course.

I think a new open minded business plan would work wonders. Find out what the customer wants and sell that.
    No, this is the problem. These are the things that the Disney Stores had before and we lost money, no one bought them and the stores were all being closed. The Adult lines of merchandise accounted for no more than 5% of our business. That was at the peak when we carried tons of it. Even when it was in the stores no one would buy till it went on sale. So rather than carry a load of product that never moved TCP dropped the Adult line and only then did people cry that they wanted the stuff back. Even now, for every adult thing we have that screams "Disney" we also have more subtle adult clothes and merchandise. Our current Home collection of Mickey stuff is almost austere and has a very simple elegance. The spring line we got had an entire collection of three different women's characters in Jeans, skirts, capris and polos and none of them were garish or overdone.

As for the collectibles, I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice to have one or two and maybe a couple watches but there were WAY to many before. People just don't buy them on a regular basis and when you're a little retailer working out of a mall you need to carry product that has a good chance of selling. Not taking up space with stuff that people only can afford to buy on special occasions.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast