Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

Why Does Everyone Hate Atlantis????

I mean come on its not that bad, i mildly liked it. Its different it has no musical numbers its a little more dreamworks style sure it could of used an extra half hour of plot delveloment but its not that bad.
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

• Man O Lantern

Re: Why Does Everyone Hate Atlantis????

I have kids and we've never seen it.

Perhaps we will someday, but I doubt it.

• On Autopilot

HUH?! I don't hate Altlantis! For awhile my avatar was Helga!

It wasn't too bad, but my dad said it would have been alot better had they made it a mini series instead of one movie. He said they tried to squeese in too many things. In the end you'd have a quick mess or a movie that would put the Lord of the Ring Movies to shame in length.

But anyway

Helga rules

• Disney Memory Maker

I liked Atlantis. I thought the story and the animation were good. The score was excellent. Atlantis was a very underrated movie.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Just Me

I enjoyed it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Besides Atlantis, which I liked a lot, the other most underappreciated movie in recent years has to be Treasure Planet. I really enjoyed Treasure Planet immensely, and am surprised to see so many people on various websites cite it as one of Disney's worst.

Maybe people have something against Disney doing animated sci fi?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• I Hug My Tapirs

I didn't think Atlantis was all that hot. For me, one of the big draws for a film is characters. If I don't have a character that I can really like, it's hard for me to get into a movie, and that's the problem I had with Atlantis. I absolutely loved the score, and some of the art was fantastic. But the lack of characters that I really loved killed it for me.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Minion

I don't hate Atlantis. Not my fave, but certainly not bad either. My kids like it and watching it triggered all kinds of questions about Atlantis and what we do and don't know about it, so from that perspective, I look at it as a very successful movie.

• insufferable know-it-all

It was a bit dull aside from the one funny old lady character. Disney animation should be neither dull nor unmusical. It was both.

Treasure Planet, if done as a musical, would have gone over well.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Original Mice-Chatter

I don't hate it- in fact I like it more each time I see it

• Minion

Most Disney fans are like most Republicans... They don't like change...

Anything that differs from a tried and true formula is always risky on Disney's part.

That having been said, I like Atlantis, and I'm a Democrat
    Last edited by Soulquarian; 08-10-2005 at 06:27 PM.

• Minion

Man that movies sucks - - It's ugly and boring and has a relentless dialogue track of meaningless time-compressed overcut babble. It gave me a headache the one and only time I saw it at El Capitan.

I think it's even worse than Black Cauldron, or at least on-par.

By the public response, I'd say most Americans: Republicans, Democrats, Greens and Libertarians alike stand united in the desire to free repressed audiences from such taxing entertainment.

• done

I remember liking "Atlantis", though I remember the ending was a bit less than I would have liked. "Treasure Planet", though, I thought was horrible. First, could it have looked anymore like "Atlantis"? So much of the style and character look and even colors were almost identical to "Atlantis". And I thought the plot development at the end was really weak, not to mention that the plot tracks that of "Tarzan" quite a bit.

• Reaver of Souls

I think the Disney crowd not caring for Sci-Fi is a extremely good point. Disney crowds tend to go for the fantasy storylines, filled with singing and cute, fuzzy animals. Even Stitch had to be "cutsied up" in the film as a part of his progression. The great score, wonderful visuals, and total lack of singing is what made the movie as good as it was. It was nearly straight-forward sci-fi, with some comic relief thrown in for good measure. It had something of an SG1 feel, in that respect.

I think it's lack of huge acclaim publicly was, in fact, a result of subject matter. Animated movie goers don't want to see Sci-Fi, and Sci-Fi movie goers don't want animation, unless it comes from Japan (which this one actually does, in a lot of ways, but that's a different story!). Anime and Manga are totally fine for most Sci-Fi folks, but throw a Disney label on it, and it's suddenly taboo.

Personally, I enjoyed it. Saw it at the El Capitan, bought the soundtrack at the exibit next door the same day, and the DVD when it came out. I think Atlantis is grossly underrated, but in reality, Disney didn't seem quite sure who they were aiming for here. Kids? Not really. Teens? Too young of a feel for that. Adults? Maybe, but the drama/suspense was a bit low for an adult-oriented movie. This one is very similar to Iron Giant. Great films, without a real demographic focus. Ah well, I still loved it...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• No bacon; sausage.

Ah, Atlantis, what a conglomeration of pointless characters that was. Every possible stereotype of the "sidekick" character you could think of, crammed onto a submarine. Vomit. How about some characters with actual depth and personality instead of a collection of gimicks?

Plus, it was supposed to be based on "The Secret of Blue Water" (aka Fushigi no umi no Nadia), one of my favorite anime series, that Disney had purchased the rights to. There were some loose similarities, but it was as much "based" on Blue Water as Blue Water was "based" on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (as in, hardly at all). That disappointed me.

Overall, not entirely hideous, but the stupid ensemble of comic relief dragged it down to "crappy" status.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast