Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disneyland to add ‘Alice’ to Small World ride - LA Times, 3/25/08 (WDI Confirmation)

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1552

An “Alice in Wonderland” doll wearing a blue dress and a white rabbit in a playing card tunic based on illustrations created by Blair while working on the 1951 animated movie will be added to the England segment of the classic boat ride, officials said. The Alice and rabbit characters will be added near a chessboard and red rose tree already existing in the Small World attraction.

Officials confirmed that Alice is one of several Disney characters that will be added to Disneyland’s Small World in a controversial plan that has infuriated some purists. Officials have insisted that Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will not appear in the Anaheim attraction.

The major rehab, which has been in the works for eight years, will “respect and honor the original creative intent” of Blair’s iconic work while adding “new richness, excitement and relevance,” according to an Imagineering official. The renovated ride will not be a “carbon copy” of the new Small World attraction at Hong Kong Disneyland, officials said.
    Check the link above to see a sketch of the proposed Alice figure.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Re: Disneyland to add ‘Alice’ to Small World ride - LA Times, 3/35/08 (WDI Confirmati

>>Check the link above to see a sketch of the proposed Alice figure.<<

Which is Mary Blair development art from the film.

• Mickey is not my Brother

Re: Disneyland to add ‘Alice’ to Small World ride - LA Times, 3/35/08 (WDI Confirmati

I love the White Rabbit so I am in

• Banned User

- Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 04-02-2008 at 11:19 PM.

• Nela25

I just don't know if I like it!!

I have no problem with an addition like this particularly if it is based upon art work that Mary Blair created.
    The Mur

• Directly directed

I don't mind original Mary Blair artwork being incorporated into a ride that features Mary Blair artwork.

• Banned User

- Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 04-02-2008 at 11:18 PM.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

I honestly don't know what to think. Alice in Wonderland? What country is that representing?
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anatole69 View Post
    The Mary Blair artwork is one thing, but Disney characters is another. The argument against it is that it commercializes the ride and detracts from the point... Mary Blair inspired Disney characters or not.

- Anatole
    The whole "we're using Mary's art" is a load of crap excuse too. The fact that she designed some of the characters now being added is mere coincidence. Alice wearing a blue dress is not some obscure reference to an early pre-production piece. Alice wears a blue dress in Mary's concept art and in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post
    I honestly don't know what to think. Alice in Wonderland? What country is that representing?
    Alice is a little English girl. However, her being English has absolutely nothing to do with her adventures in wonderland or what she found when she went through the looking glass. The story is about a little girl, not England.

• FastPass n00b

It must be great to have Tomorrowland and other areas in such a pristine condition that they can add brand new sections to Small World. I mean, it's not like Tomorrowland has any rides that desperately need attention and major additions to them or anything like that. I think Small World definitely needed some Disney characters because it was just so run down as it was.

Disney sure does have their priorities in order!

• Minion

Next it will be Giselle in the style of Mary Blair, using her new credit card on 5th Avenue!

Have you noticed the park galleries have a big load of faux-Mary Blair art lately? Someone must have bought that book a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Alice is a little English girl. However, her being English has absolutely nothing to do with her adventures in wonderland or what she found when she went through the looking glass. The story is about a little girl, not England.
    I have a problem with this. To me, the stories have a very distinct flavor both in their language and in the characters that identifies them as English - they are not simply "default white people" in a "default white people story." Alice's attitudes and expectations have a great deal to do with the story - not to mention the inherently English feel to such situations as tea parties and playing croquet, which was popular in that country at the time. To say that it has nothing to do with England suggests that the story could have been produced by any culture and remain virtually unchanged: this is not true.

Don't forget that Disney didn't create all the classic characters they're associated with, nor did they assign them nationalities arbitrarily. Beauty and the Beast is traditionally French in origin, Pinocchio is Italian - both films were written and designed accordingly. While other objections may be perfectly valid, this one does not seem appropriate to me. A story shouldn't have to be about a character's cultural identity for them to have one.

Anyway, I'm sorry for getting so far off track. If classic characters are being added to iasw, I'm very glad that Alice would be included, as she's one of my favourites.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Plenty of stories have been adapted to different settings and locations. The culture of the characters gives them a depth and realness, but it does not make said culture the subject of the films. The much anticipated return to hand drawn features is based on a Russian tale, but set in 1920s New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Plenty of stories have been adapted to different settings and locations. The culture of the characters gives them a depth and realness, but it does not make said culture the subject of the films. The much anticipated return to hand drawn features is based on a Russian tale, but set in 1920s New Orleans.
    I agree that culture isn't the subject - and it's also true that in this case, Disney is adapting a story from one culture into another.

The point I was attempting to express is that culture does not have to be the focus to exist. This story set in the Jazz Age will not be the same as it would be if it were set in classical Russia, even if some of the basics are the same.

The mark of a good story is its ability to be applicable to everyone - so yes, it could take place anywhere - but it doesn't, it happens someplace, and that's what makes it what it is. So for instance, the Lion King, a story where one brother betrays another, is based upon a universally understandable theme, but the setting and characters make it memorable and distinct.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast