• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Random Musings: Review of India's "Kaun Banega Crorepati" (Millionaire)

Many of you here know that I am a huge Game Show freak. Well in the game show trading rings, I got my hands on a copy of India's version of Who Wants to Be A Millionaire, "Kaun Banega Crorepati".

First Impressions:
    It's Millionaire. A tried and true format. No big changes, just another nation's millionaire.

The Game (8/10):
    No Changes, Except the Money Tree is a bit different (they didn't butcher it like the syndicated version). Their new version offers a jackpot of 20,000,000 rupees. (About US $460,193.28). Same 15 questions, same lifelines as the Syndicated version (Switch (for the last 6 questions), ATA, PAP, 50:50).

And then they stole a play out of the Play It! handbook. The FF contestests are playing for cash as well. For each FF player who answers the most of the hot seat's questions, in the fastest time, gets a cash bonus. Good twist.

The Set (6/10):
    Compared to even our sets, the Indian set is quite small, and feels much more cramped. The quality is not nearly the same, as the entire seats/audence benches look much cheaper, and the light rig is not nearly as compicated. Then there's this weird yellow light all around the border of the stage. IMHO, it kinda messes up the camera shots, and is slightly blinding (especially in tier 3). However, the monitors and player panels are all the same.

The Host:
    Hoted by Amitabh Bachchan. This guy is a hoot. I though I liked Regis, and Tarrant, but I have found my favorite Millionaire host. The show is a mixture of indian, and english. What I enjoy the most is the way that he says "Computerji", it's got to be the overall feeling to the show, but I've never seen a version of Millionaire mension the Computer so much. Apparently the Computer is the "god" of Millionaire. Plus he was rambing on about Bluetooth on this particular episode.

Overall: 8/10 : A fathful copy of the show, in India.
    -Monorail Man

• They wanna know, HO!

Re: Random Musings: Review of India's "Kaun Banega Crorepati" (Millionaire)

Any screen caps you can show us of the show?
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...