• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Bruckheimer negotiating to produce Lone Ranger remake

Lone Ranger remake announced

By STM film critic Shannon Harvey
    March 31, 2008 10:00am

THE Lone Ranger rides again - but who should don his famous black mask?
    Jerry Bruckheimer, the Hollywood producer who breathed new life into pirate movies with his hugely popular Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, is about to bring dusty old Wild West hero The Lone Ranger out of retirement for another ride on the big screen.at it again.

The Hollywood Reporter said Bruckheimer, who is responsible for some of Hollywood's biggest blockbusters, is in final negotiations to produce a live-action big-screen adaptation for Disney.

It is believed the film will focus on the hero's origin story, where a group of Texas Rangers are ambushed and slain by outlaws. An American Indian named Tonto finds a lone survivor, and together, they make a pact to bring the gang to justice.

No cast or crew have been named as yet, but the likes of Brad Pitt, Jake Gyllenhaal and Casey Affleck are rumoured as contenders for the title role.

Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, who penned the Pirates franchise, will write the blockbuster Western.

The Lone Ranger began life as a 1930s radio show and went on with movie serials, TV shows, comic strips, books, toys, novels and more.

Despite its early popularity, recent attempts to revive the character have failed dismally. In 1981, The Legend of the Lone Ranger failed so badly that the film's star, Klinton Spilsbury, never worked in Hollywood again. And in 2003, a TV movie that served as a backdoor pilot also bit the dust.

Source: Perth Now

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Bruckheimer negotiating to produce Lone Ranger remake

Funny how in Australia they add A-list actors' names to the story to pump it up.

'Lone Ranger' rides for Disney - 3/28/08
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/lone_ranger_rides_disney-93284.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disneyland PAP

I hope this turns out well. I've been fan for a while of The Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet. Different comic book companies have had the licenses over the past ten or so years, and I've always picked them up - and fortunately, they been entertaining. Dynamite has the license now for the Ranger, and their revised origin story was pretty entertaining. And obviously, I'm more than a little concerned about Seth Rogen's upcoming version of The Green Hornet for Sony Pictures. (For the non-geeks out there, the Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet were created by the same person, Fran Striker, who planted seeds that suggested they are from the same family line, the Reids.)

• Still lost in Neverland

And Disney was offered the right to the Lone Ranger years ago when Jack Wrather, owner of the Disneyland Hotel and the Lone Ranger and Green Hornet, sold the hotel to Disney. Eisner said no, he couldn't think of anything to do with that character. So it was sold to someone else, who now is selling it too Disney for top dollar.

Just for your information, since both The Lone Ranger and The Green Hornet were created by the same person and owned by the same company they were related. The Green Hornet, Britt Reed, was the Lone Ranger's (John Reed) great, great Nephew. There was an episode of The Green Hornet on radio were Brit and his Uncle were in the great library of the house (The family was very wealthy) and there was a huge painting hanging above the fireplace of a masked man astride a rearing white horse. The young Brit Reed was told this was his Great, Great Uncle. While the story was being told, very faintly in the background the Theme for the Lone Ranger was playing. Sent chills down my spine when I heard it.

For the sake of argument I really hope that this new movie can bring The Lone Ranger back into our lives. Today's kids have no real heroes to identify with anymore. The current crop of singers are not a very good group what with all the drinking, drug use, and out and out defiance of Law and Order. Movie Stars are few and far between as role models for todays kids. Even sports now gives the idea that steroid drugs and cheating are fine to make you a winner. No, nothing much out there. I would love to see the ideals and morals of The Lone Ranger be a success for todays youth, but I am afraid we are so far into the morass of current ideals and morality issues that it will never happen.

I grew up with Heroes like The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and all the rest of the old Screen Heroes. My favorite was Clayton Moore as the Ranger. He lived his life by the code of the West as set forth by The Lone Ranger. He was a good man and I Cried the day he died. We lost a real hero that day.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    And Disney was offered the right to the Lone Ranger years ago when Jack Wrather, owner of the Disneyland Hotel and the Lone Ranger and Green Hornet, sold the hotel to Disney. Eisner said no, he couldn't think of anything to do with that character. So it was sold to someone else, who now is selling it too Disney for top dollar.

Just for your information, since both The Lone Ranger and The Green Hornet were created by the same person and owned by the same company they were related. The Green Hornet, Britt Reed, was the Lone Ranger's (John Reed) great, great Nephew. There was an episode of The Green Hornet on radio were Brit and his Uncle were in the great library of the house (The family was very wealthy) and there was a huge painting hanging above the fireplace of a masked man astride a rearing white horse. The young Brit Reed was told this was his Great, Great Uncle. While the story was being told, very faintly in the background the Theme for the Lone Ranger was playing. Sent chills down my spine when I heard it.

For the sake of argument I really hope that this new movie can bring The Lone Ranger back into our lives. Today's kids have no real heroes to identify with anymore. The current crop of singers are not a very good group what with all the drinking, drug use, and out and out defiance of Law and Order. Movie Stars are few and far between as role models for todays kids. Even sports now gives the idea that steroid drugs and cheating are fine to make you a winner. No, nothing much out there. I would love to see the ideals and morals of The Lone Ranger be a success for todays youth, but I am afraid we are so far into the morass of current ideals and morality issues that it will never happen.

I grew up with Heroes like The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and all the rest of the old Screen Heroes. My favorite was Clayton Moore as the Ranger. He lived his life by the code of the West as set forth by The Lone Ranger. He was a good man and I Cried the day he died. We lost a real hero that day.
    I totally agree.

I'm confident that Disney will do a good job of bringing this classic hero back into our lives and hopefully grow a new fan base from the younger generation.

• Minion

This could be a great thing for Frontierland

• Minion

I'm glad Disney is trying to make movies other than just animated movies that will appeal to a wide audience. Most of Disney's modern live action fare (The Game Plan, College Road Trip) only plays to the 8 and under crowd and their parents for the most part. With Enchanted and Pirates, Disney proved they can still make live action movies that appeal to almost everyone, even adults without kids.

Disney owned the character after they bought the Wrather company back in the late 80's. They then sold it off trying to justify the expense of the purchase. A very stupid move considering they're now going to have to pay many times more to license a character that they could have used for nothing since it was owned by them. Another short sighted example of Michael Eisner's vision.

ImagineerWarrior

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    With Enchanted and Pirates, Disney proved they can still make live action movies that appeal to almost everyone, even adults without kids.
    A few more than that could be added to the list. 'Remember The Titans', 'The Rookie', 'Eight Below', 'Glory Road', 'Invincible' and 'The Guardian for example all modestly-budgeted did very well for the studio.

Plus a guy named Jerry has added a few films like 'Crimson Tide', 'Armaggeddon' and 'National Treasure' to the win column too.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-04-2008 at 06:57 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    A few more than that could be added to the list. 'Remember The Titans', 'The Rookie', 'Eight Below', 'Glory Road', 'Invincible' and 'The Guardian for example all modestly-budgeted did very well for the studio.

Plus a guy named Jerry has added a few films like 'Crimson Tide', 'Armaggeddon' and 'National Treasure' to the win column too.
    Crimson Tide and Armageddon weren't released under the Disney banner, and didn't have any Disney-esque qualities to them, plus Armageddon was horrible. Those movies you listed in the first paragraph are mostly sports movies, and except for the Rocky franchise, there are seldom sports movies I care about. I do understand how Disney releasing them broadens who Disney is marketing to though.

• my two sunshines

This would be good for Frontierland but then Zorro was supposed to come back and didn't

I'm concerned about Bruckheimer doing it because he's known for big explosions, big scenes that require huge sets, etc - Lone Ranger is such a great story without all the 'big' stuff happening

I do like Bruckheimer's projects but he tends to go way overboard when he doesn't have to