A Disneyland DownUnder?

Hi all,
    For years, I have been hot on any information leading to a possible Disney Theme Park Project in Australia. On and off, it has become common for a "Disney eyeing Australia as Location for Next Theme Park" Headline in the local news. As the Federal & State Governments will neither confirm nor deny any activity, it becomes pretty frustrating to know if there is ever any truth in such claims, until recently.

This year alone, there has been sparks of news flying around the Australian media that Disney is looking at future Theme Park Locations from outer Sydney, Melbourne to Sth East QLD. More recently, after speaking with a mate that does some contract work for Disney, he has mentioned that Australia & India were amongst the two finalists and that Australia was in fact the preferred choice. The success (or demise) of the HKDL project would cement plans.

My 10 cents on the idea. Australia as a choice for a future Disney Park would be a testiment to the Mantra "If you build it they will come" - Australians account for the 2nd top visitors in DL Park in SoCal (next to Americans & I believe Canadians is the other). Not a bad effort given how far we are away and our relative smaller population! Retail Sales of anything Disney in Australia are amongst the highest in the world (see recent stock reports for justification) and websites like the now defunct SaveDisney.com paying hommage to the idea in recent articles have given the idea more grounds for justification.

Personally I think the best location in Australia for a DL Park is Melbourne. You have a large population of around 4 million people and the 2nd largest International traffic of any capital city in Australia. Sydney is an obvious choice but represents a different demagraphic - of which would appreciate the project on a lesser scale (IMHO)

Anyway, over to you! What are your thoughts on the creation of a Disney Down Under to the ever growing Disney Theme Park Empire? Is it warranted? Justified? I think you would be VERY suprised at just how amazingly successful such a venture would be
    Last edited by Mickey_D; 08-10-2005 at 09:33 PM.

• Having a Grand Day!

Re: Time For a Disneyland DownUnder!

As long as it's in Sydney - not MelBORING or the Gold Coast.

I'd love a Disneyland, but at the same time I wish they would stop cloning it.

When I asked a friend who worked for Disney if they'd ever considered Australia, he said that they had, but that there were problems.

First, the Australian people more enjoy doing real experiences, rather than simulated theme park experiences. They'd rather climb a mountain than go on a roller coaster built to look like one. Sure, there are some who'd go, but they already have a few parks in Australia that aren't doing that well......

Second, their government has a lot of really stringent environmental rules that would make running a park *really* *difficult*. Not that those rules are right or wrong, but it would make things more difficult (and costly).

There were other reasons, he said, but that it would take a concerted effort (read AUS $$$$$) to get the Mouse to put a park there.....

-Scarecrow.

• Having a Grand Day!

My solution - move to Anaheim (I'm seriously considering it!). The Australian governments will s*** around so much it's not worth Disney opening their mouths.

^ hehe.. fair enough! The latest gossip on the issue suggests Disney are looking at building smaller regional Parks that are not exactly MK Parks (no Castle) but still feature the level of charm, quality & standard that people have come to expect but on smaller scales.

My bet is something is going to happen around 2010

• Having a Grand Day!

A good place for a proper Disneyland would be in the area surrounding Olympic Park (I went out there on the weekend)- It needs something like this. And the land + waterfront + access is there.

Re: A Disneyland DownUnder?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_D
    My 10 cents on the idea. Australia as a choice for a future Disney Park would be a testiment to the Mantra "If you build it they will come" - Australians account for the 2nd top visitors in DL Park in SoCal (next to Americans & I believe Canadians is the other). Not a bad effort given how far we are away and our relative smaller population!
    I think that "smaller population" is why a Disney Park would never work in Australia. I don't think there is anywhere in Australia you could put it and have tens of thousands of people visiting per day.

Sydney (which is where I live, btw) is definitely somewhere it would not work. Just look at failures like "Australia's Wonderland", "Fox Studios Backlot", "Sega World" and the ever struggling "Luna Park".

Really, I think that the portion of our population that would want to go to a Disney park already do - and it is the whole travel thing we enjoy. Even without Disney parks Australians would still be keen to visit LA, Tokyo or Paris - they are such exciting places! Compare that level of excitement to visiting any city in Australia and you begin to get why I don't think a park in Australia would work.

Now I consider Orlando slightly differently because I don't think a lot of Australian's visit there - and if they do it probably is just for Walt Disney World - but WDW is unique in its scale compared to any other Disney resort.

Ultimately, considering the cost of a Disney park, I think Disney would be much better off spending its money on expanding Hong Kong Disneyland and subsidising deals to HKDL from Australia - it is a relatively short flight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_D
    Retail Sales of anything Disney in Australia are amongst the highest in the world (see recent stock reports for justification)
    Yes, Australia ranks very highly on a "per capita" basis, but we still only account for a tiny amount of the Disney worldwide revenue. And don't forget all the Disney stores that closed down in Australia!

- GothGargoyle

• ROFLCOPTER

No more Disney clones should be made. Make new parks at the current resorts!
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• Yes its that much fun!

While a park "Down under" would be great, there are many factors that will prevent it from happening in the near future...
    First there is a lot of money out right now in all of the new theme parks (DCA, Hong Kong etc..) that still need to turn a profit before they would do more than consider another major investment.
    Second they would need to buy lots of land and find a location that will suit the needs of mass transit, growth and tourism, and of course as mentioned by others there are the local governments and customs of Australia. (Disney has experienced growing pains in Paris and Tokyo and Six Flags is still fighting the nightmare of the Mexican government).
    When is does happen I for one will be happy to transfer and work there!
    "I am about to pack up 21 years of Disney memorabilia from around the world that hopefully my great grandchildren will not sell on eBay"
    Micheal Eisner