• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Greener Tourist Spots - Los Angeles Times, 4/5/2008

Saturday's LA Times Main Editoral Section was Amusement rleated today, with 3 different Editorals written by the editorial board.

The first one, titled "Greener Tourist Spots" talked about looking into trying to reduce waste by eliminating bottled water.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,3422840.story

California's largest tourist attractions are trying harder to be green, and a 2004 law that requires large venues to reduce and recycle solid waste has helped. But let's face it, the amount of bottled water consumed at our amusement parks, sports facilities, movie theaters and other attractions is an environmental Tunnel of Terror.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Greener Tourist Spots - Los Angeles Times, 4/5/2008

Let me add a personal comment....

And why just water? Disney has switched to selling more and more Coke products in the plastic bottles, instead of fountain drinks. If you make changes, why not a refillable Soda Cup and ODV Fountain stands. Many parks do feature Fountain Drinks as part of the ODV program.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Personally i like the water in the plastic bottles. I stick it in the daypack and drink it over a longer period of time. Cups with lids work not so well for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    The first one, titled "Greener Tourist Spots" talked about looking into trying to reduce waste by eliminating bottled water.
    I found this editorial to be very interesting. Darkbeer, thanks for posting the link!

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    Personally i like the water in the plastic bottles. I stick it in the daypack and drink it over a longer period of time. Cups with lids work not so well for this.
    Bottles definitely have their advantage with regards to convenience and portability. Like you said, you can stick it in your daypack and drink it when you want. I usually bring a bottle from home and refill it at water fountains as opposed to buying a new Dasani bottle from a cart. I've also been known to drink water straight from a Disneyland water fountain (gasp!) and survived.

The editorial also mentions sporting arenas. The policy at the Honda Center is definitely not green at all. I was there last weekend for the George Strait concert and was depressed by their water options. Since you can't bring any bottles in the venue, you have to buy from their vendors. Okay, I understand that. But here's what gets me: the venue's policy is to *not* give you the bottle, since it could be used as a projectile by inebriated fans. So they pour the water from the bottle into a plastic cup. Talk about wasteful. 1 water = 2 plastic containers (bottle and cup). Yikes!

•   
    • Prefect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Let me add a personal comment....

And why just water? Disney has switched to selling more and more Coke products in the plastic bottles, instead of fountain drinks. If you make changes, why not a refillable Soda Cup and ODV Fountain stands. Many parks do feature Fountain Drinks as part of the ODV program.
    I totally agree with this. I would love to see refillable cups (like those at Legoland and Magic Mountain) at the DLR. I know with the huge AP population they might be hesitant, but even if AP's return with their cups and pay to get refills, they would still be making a fortune!
    <o>