Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Re: Mark Shapiro Says Six Flags Can Be Like Disney

Talking to a friend of mine who was actually at the Six Flags talk at the convention earlier this week: It sounds to me like all they're trying to do is shove advertising everywhere! From what I was told, a majority of the talk was about how they can use things people recognize to sell more.... not for the good of the guest or "themeing".
    I'll have to get more info out of him about it

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    Talking to a friend of mine who was actually at the Six Flags talk at the convention earlier this week: It sounds to me like all they're trying to do is shove advertising everywhere! From what I was told, a majority of the talk was about how they can use things people recognize to sell more.... not for the good of the guest or "themeing".
    Sounds a lot like Disney.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Sounds a lot like Disney.

it sure does.

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Only half of the Giant Inverted Boomerangs were shut down. That would be the Deja Vus at Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags Great America. The coaster is still at Six Flags Magic Mountain, as was stated, and Stunt Fall at Parque Warner Madrid is also still operating. I find it odd because, as I understand it, Six Flags Over Georgia paid to have Vekoma do a bunch of extra work a few years back resulting in their Giant Inverted Boomerang being the best operating and most reliable of the four.
    SFGA's Déjà Vu was purchased by Silverwood park in Athol, Idaho and will live again as Aftershock.

So if SFOG's is in better shape I'm sure it will live again also.

• Grumpy old man

I haven't to my local Six Flags, Marine World since they've changed their name to Discovery Kingdom. But going off the second hand information I've heard, they have really stepped it up in quality. They had a good base to work with though, Marine World was pretty themed before Premier took control, though it was no Disney.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    If advertising helps them clean up the parks, I'm all for it.

The nearest Six Flags for me is Great America north of Chicago. I am going in late July and will ride their newest "themed" coaster, Dark Knight. Of course it's based on Batman and looks to be a mouse style coaster built inside a building with sound, lighting and other effects. Now, it's not up to Disney standards or so it appears but it's in the right direction.
    One thing that impressed me years ago, was the theming of the original Batman Ride at Great America. The queue starts in Gotham City park and then you go through a hole in a construction fence which puts you under a subway and you could hear the trains passing overhead. There was a full size police car that had lights on and had hit a hydrant that was spraying water. You then entered a tunnel that took you into the Bat Cave where you boarded the roller coaster. In the next couple years, they had rethemed the SW area very well also. It seems they got away from this after 2000 but it seems they are taking a new direction now.

Anyway, if this works, here is the video of the DK coaster.

Ok, it didn't work. Just go to Youtube and look up Dark Knight coaster if you want to see it.
    Last edited by Truecoat; 04-20-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: change line

This whole concept is just hilarious, and it is nothing new.

Mark Shapiro has been blabbering on about this since he took over Six Flags back in 2005. He releases a speech like this every spring. He's going to "reinvent" Six Flags and create an "experience" that the "whole family" can enjoy together with "loveable characters".

Every spring Mr. Shapiro shows up at some convention or roller coaster debut and announces that he's going to focus on the details, clean up the parks, offer daily parades, strengthen customer service, make the employees pull their pants up, and blah, blah, blah.

Six Flags is still just a collection of grungy, dirty regional roller coaster parks visited primarily by gang bangers and staffed by gang banger wannabe's. The new parade lasts 3 minutes and consists of a decorated golf cart carrying a bloated Wonder Woman and a kid wearing a mangy looking Speedy Gonzalez outfit. (Nevermind the fact that no one under the age of 35 even knows who Wonder Woman or Speedy Gonzalez is.) They are building a Thomas The Tank Engine train ride on a patch of dirt with some plywood decorations. They painted the Panda Express chinese takeout place located in the Baja Ridge Mexican themed area, which is quite possibly the most fabulous example of terrifying Six Flags themeing I've ever seen in my life.

Last time I went to Magic Mountain we laughed hysterically at the Baja Ridge Panda Express. The thug kid staffing the order window without using any verbal communication only put a cherry on top of our hilarious Baja Ridge chinese food experience. Thanks Mr. Shapiro for the laughs! Though I'm not sure that's what you had in mind.

And all of this will compete with Disneyland how exactly? Answer; it won't.

It will still be Six Flags. It will still be dirty. It will still just be a collection of roller coasters and flat rides on cement. They will still have a grimy Panda Express takeout stand in a Mexican themed area called Baja Ridge. It will still be a scary place to be after sundown. The punk kid out on parole and running the grungy roller coaster will still have his pants hanging off his behind. It will still be the same old pathetic Six Flags, no matter how many times Mark Shapiro stands in front of an audience in a nice three button suit and says he is changing things.

Six Flags Mega Super Fun Loveable Character Family Experience Celebration Parade!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9TDU...eature=related
    Last edited by TP2000; 04-21-2008 at 12:34 AM.

Holy loaded language, Batman!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Holy loaded language, Batman!
    No kidding.

Look TP2000, as bad as the Six Flags parks were, it's going to take ALOT longer than 3 years to get them all cleaned up. Plus, were not just talking 1 or 2 parks here, your talking 21. So you can't just spend ALL that money in 3 years to get 21 parks up to par. It's just NOT going to happen.

That said, they are on the right track. Give them some time.

• Banned User

Well, I'm gonna compare something.

I went to Marine World in 2004 and again in 2007

2004 was horrible. The place was very dirty, lots of trash everywhere, there was derelict animal exhibits, and the coasters were faded (one still is). But..... the kids operating the rides were nice and friendly.

2007 was way better. The new Discovery Kingdom look with the animal statues and new signs were great. V2 got a new paint job, didn't really notice if anything else did, the park was clean, the new animal exhibits like Ocean Discovery and Tava's Jungleland were really nice, the kids loved seeing the dolphins up close, and that waste of space Zonga was gone. The teens operating the rides were still great, and there were many characters out. It was almost like a different park. Now with Thomas Town (which I never looked into) and the new Tony Hawk coaster, I don't see how Discovery Kingdom isn't the park Six Flags wants to be.

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    This whole concept is just hilarious, and it is nothing new.

Mark Shapiro has been blabbering on about this since he took over Six Flags back in 2005. He releases a speech like this every spring. He's going to "reinvent" Six Flags and create an "experience" that the "whole family" can enjoy together with "loveable characters".

Every spring Mr. Shapiro shows up at some convention or roller coaster debut and announces that he's going to focus on the details, clean up the parks, offer daily parades, strengthen customer service, make the employees pull their pants up, and blah, blah, blah.
    You know, your whole point here is ridiculous. Ever since 2005? Shapiro's group took over in December 2005. That means for the last 2 YEARS you have been hearing this? I'm no Six Flags apologist but when you say you've heard something since 2006 and don't believe it take a look before you spout off.

I hope that shapiro fixs Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom next. It need, it badly.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

All I'm saying is that I think we should be very, very cautious of what Mark Shapiro says every spring. He showed up with no prior amusement park experience, after leaving ESPN suddenly in '05. He talks a good game and he looks profesional and he spouts off the latest industry buzzwords like "experience" and "family" and "interactive", but then he makes me laugh by invoking a Disneyland reference or two. He's a big talker though, I'll give him that.

He's like the Six Flags Cynthia Harriss; all talk and all show and little experience or real change.

I've paid the 15 bucks to park in the Six Flags parking lot and wait for the broken down Tijuana Trolley with the graffiti on every row to pick us up and drive us up the hill while some punk kid hanging off the back of the tram slurred into the microphone "Parking Tram For All You Peeps, We Are Leaving Now!".

How can anyone compare that to the bigger, cleaner, friendlier, more profesional parking experience at Mickey & Friends that charges less per day? Just because Mark Shapiro stands in front of an audience every year and says he is going to remake Six Flags into a Disney "experience" doesn't mean I can't laugh hysterically at the horrible service and offerings at my local Six Flags.

It's all just talk and blabber, with a few coats of paint on an aging roller coaster for the fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    I hope that shapiro fixs Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom next. It need, it badly.
    I'm sure that is in Shapiro's Big Family Experience Interactive Plan for fiscal year 2017. Can you wait until Memorial Day weekend, 2017? They are even going to paint the Panda Express in that park!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast