A night at Pixar to see Wall E

EDIT: Recap of the evening here

Hello All-

If any of you happen to be in the Northern California Bay Area on June 12th and would like to see a pre-release of Wall E in the Pixar Animations Studios, I would highly recommend visiting the Emeryville Education Fund website

I had the opportunity to attend this event last year to see Ratatouille and it was very well done. All proceeds go toward the Emeryville school programs and volunteer efforts in the Community of Emeryville.

My wife and I are planning on attending and would love to meet up with all of you.
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 06-13-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Re: A night at Pixar to see Wall E

Sounds like an awesome event. I will have to see if I can swing this. I would love to go but I would have to take a day off of work.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Too rich for my blood but I'd love to do it! If i lived up north, it might be something I'd do.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

If I lived up there I'd be there for sure! I'm curious, what kind of stuff have they had in the silent auction in the past?
    --Jonathan

• RCMC BlackSmith

I would love to go but... Look at my Location.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

A review of the evening will be posted by the end of the week...

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Before my recap of the evening, I do want to say that I will not be going into too many details on scenes or parts of the story from Presto or Wall-E for a couple of reasons. Besides my signature on a piece of paper that states that I cannot, there was also a personal request by a Pixar employee that I would like to respect. I will, however, express my overall impression of both films and the evening in general. Also, we were not allowed to bring electronics into the studios so this report will not include any pictures of the evening.

As some of you may know, the interior of the studios is decorated to reflect the film currently being promoted at the time. At a similar event last year, the halls were decorated with soon to be released merchandise, banners, prints, sketches, and models of Ratatouille, so of course at this event the studios were decorated with Wall-E, and a lot of him. Many of the large cardboard figures that we have seen displayed at the theatres were also placed throughout the atrium.

Immediately to the right of the front entrance was a Wall-E merchandise display of all the exciting new toys, bedding, books, games, RC robots, shoes, etc. soon to be released (if they haven’t been already). This stuff is going to make Disney*Pixar LOTS of money! So many little RC robots to enjoy that even I had hard time walking away from. These are sure to be a hot item for children of all ages.

Directly across from the merchandise is the front desk where they usually sell exclusive Pixar merchandise. I was disappointed to see that they were not selling anything this evening but it was probably for the best as I have spent plenty here in the past.

The silent auction was interesting and featured many different hand crafted bags, clothing, and jewelry from different countries around the globe. The Pixar related items featured an “Art of Wall-E” book and framed Wall-E prints, all of which were autographed by Andrew Stanton. The other hot item at the auction was a weeklong art course at the Pixar University.

After enjoying the delicious wine and hors d'oeuvres, my wife and I spent about 45 minutes wandering the halls of the studios admiring the concept art and modeling for both Wall-E and the Ward Kimball-esque Pixar short “Your Friend the Rat.” The art and design for Wall-E had gone through an amazing evolutionary process since its inception and it was incredible to witness years of creativity and imagination progress right before my eyes and in a matter of minutes. The time spent viewing the concept art was definitely a highlight of the evening.

It was just before 7:30 pm when we saw everyone begin to line up at the Pixar theatre doors. We began to make our way through security, who then gave us one last scan with the wand to check for any hidden electronics, and into the theatre to find our seats. The President of the Emeryville Education Fund, John Gooding, acknowledged a few key individuals and thanked Pixar for their continued support and contribution. John then introduced Randy Nelson, the Dean of Pixar University, to give us a brief introduction of what we were about to see.

The lights go down, the fiber optic “starry night effect” appears, and Presto begins its performance. While I was expecting Wall-E to be extremely unique in comparison to previous Pixar films, I was not expecting the same for Presto. Right from the starting line, this short had the same feel of not only the classic Disney shorts but also the comedic genius of a classic Chuck Jones cartoon. This short was hilariously funny and just really gave me that pleasant “Saturday Morning Cartoon” feeling that I remember so much as little kid. Well done, Pixar!

The pairing of these two films is perfect as they both represent a fresh and unique approach toward storytelling for Pixar. The beginning of Wall-E is a sure sign that this is not the Pixar of yesteryear but a new chapter in the life of a groundbreaking studio. The extremely personal and emotional bond with the main character is established right from the start of the film and just continues to grow from that point on. I couldn’t fight the extraordinarily high amount of charm that this little robot possessed and I will still catch myself smiling uncontrollably when I reflect on certain scenes.

What about Eve? Eve is a beautifully designed robot that any Apple fan would fall in love with. So its no wonder that Wall-E has generated such a strong attraction for her, so strong that he will stop at nothing to stand by her side forever. Which then leads me to the wow moments of the film.

It has been a while since any filmmaker has taken us into space, hasn’t it? Well, you haven’t been to space until you have traveled with Pixar. This film is a Sci-Fi geeks heaven. The entire look and feel of the film is so unique that I had to remind myself that this was a Disney*Pixar animated film. I have not seen anything this bold in quite some time and it was very refreshing to know that these films can still be created.

The captivating journey and the charming relationship between Eve and Wall-E will help the film appeal to all ages and will drive this film toward an incredible amount of success both at the box office and in merchandising. Another great example of how the story is the true star and the medium in which it is told is simply the supporting role.