Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    1,110

    What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CGI???

    What a cash cow for the movie industry.

    Think about it. What percentage of CGI movies released in the last decade do you think feature humanized animals?

    I sorta like movies like this, but at this point it's simply become a genuine 00's cliche.

    The only CGI movies I can think of that have been released in the past 8 years that do not have animals are Robots and Cars, and both were great.

    People even rip each other off over this stuff. The Wild was a shockingly blatant ripoff of Madagascar, Shark Tale was a ripoff of Finding Nemo, and Hoodwinked was a blatant ripoff of Shrek.

    Who else is ready for something more original?

  2. #2

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,710

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Who else is ready for something more original?
    *raises hand and does her best Horshack impression*

    OOOHHH!!! OOOHHH!! OOOHHH!!!

  3. #3

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cartoon Wasteland
    Posts
    4,828
    Blog Entries
    68

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    The Wild was a shockingly blatant ripoff of Madagascar
    I'll agree with your other comparisons, but The Wild actually went into production before Madagascar did. Its story development dates back to the 1990's.

    The reason there are so many humanized animals in CGI animation is because animals have always been much easier to animate than humans. It's easier to suspend disbelief because you don't expect anthropomorphic characters to act real. Unless you're working in broad caricature, it's much more difficult to capture the realism of the human form. This has always been true, even in 2D animation (case in point: compare how stiff Snow White looks compared to the Seven Dwarfs).

    Also, don't overlook tradition. Disney and Warner Bros. (not to mention MGM and Hannah-Barbera, among others) became household names in animation based largely on the animal characters they created.

    I'd say your complaint is more rooted in poorly executed, unoriginal stories than in the characters themselves.

  4. #4

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,072

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Add "Bug's Life" vs "Antz" to the list.

    Of course, there is some animation company that has done some quick cheap animated knockoffs, with "coincidently" the same title as Disney animated movies.

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    The real cliche is the constant hipper-than-thou Shrek ripoff schtick involving topical humor and fart and burp jokes. You could make a drinking game out of how many times a character farts, burps, or makes some sort of topical pop culture reference in far too many of today's CGI animated films.

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    I'll agree with your other comparisons, but The Wild actually went into production before Madagascar did. Its story development dates back to the 1990's.

    The reason there are so many humanized animals in CGI animation is because animals have always been much easier to animate than humans. It's easier to suspend disbelief because you don't expect anthropomorphic characters to act real. Unless you're working in broad caricature, it's much more difficult to capture the realism of the human form. This has always been true, even in 2D animation (case in point: compare how stiff Snow White looks compared to the Seven Dwarfs).

    Also, don't overlook tradition. Disney and Warner Bros. (not to mention MGM and Hannah-Barbera, among others) became household names in animation based largely on the animal characters they created.

    I'd say your complaint is more rooted in poorly executed, unoriginal stories than in the characters themselves.
    Oh. Wow. Good points. Never thought of it that way.

    Anyways, I'm surprised to hear The Wild went into production so long ago. It sure would have been better for them if they had just released it before Madagascar.

    The whole a Bugs Life vs. Antz thing is a coincidence if I remember correctly but I could be wrong.

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,372

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Reading the title, I actually thought this was a debate I could really go to town with. No, I really don't care about CG animated movies with animals. What bothers me are the CG animals in live action movies going all crazy!

    Yah... GARFIELD, ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS, gosh, there's loads more I know it.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  8. #8

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17,918

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    To be quite honest, I just don't care for CGI films... :/


  9. #9

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,710

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Yah... GARFIELD, ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS, gosh, there's loads more I know it.
    At least in the new movie, Alvin, Simon & Theodore actually LOOK like chipmunks. That's what always bugged me about the old cartoon from the 60's and the 80's. They looked like gophers or something in those.

  10. #10

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Westminster CA
    Posts
    215

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    furries taking over the planet muhahaha

  11. #11

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    We all love Hoodwinked in our house.

    I don't see the Shrek similarities (other than some of the humor) at all.


  12. #12

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,372

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    We all love Hoodwinked in our house.

    I don't see the Shrek similarities (other than some of the humor) at all.

    Hoodwinked was a decent film. The only thing it has in common with Shrek are awful character designs.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  13. #13

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,638

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Reading the title, I actually thought this was a debate I could really go to town with. No, I really don't care about CG animated movies with animals. What bothers me are the CG animals in live action movies going all crazy!

    Yah... GARFIELD, ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS, gosh, there's loads more I know it.
    What about Scooby Doo? And Scooby Doo 2?

  14. #14

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,372

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    What about Scooby Doo? And Scooby Doo 2?

    Add them to the list!


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  15. #15

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: What is the deal with animals acting crazy/talking/dancing/singing/whatever in CG

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Hoodwinked was a decent film. The only thing it has in common with Shrek are awful character designs.
    I actually thought that added to the whole "Storybook" feel of it. But that's just me.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Universal backs out of DreamWorks deal, DreamWorks talking to Disney
    By ROBONICS95 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
  2. dude, look at these crazy offers on dancing inferno and stitch hat!!
    By bandgeek5476 in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 04:19 AM
  3. Acting like a dog - really???!!!
    By BFJen in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 07:33 AM
  4. MC acting funny?
    By Xharryb in forum The Forums
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 03:03 PM
  5. Dancing Animals in Love
    By Tui in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 05:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •