• back to WDW in January

Disney Seeks Lost Boys Market

Navigating through in a veritable sea of demand for more Princess items, Disney is taking an alternate course and targeting it's younger male market by reintroducing products with more "boy appeal"

Disney acknowledges that boys "tend to have shorter attention spans" but believes the company could replicate its success with girls in the boys' market, Vince Klaseus, senior vice president for franchise management for Disney Consumer Products.
    Disney Studio plans to draw in boys next year with "Prince of Persia," an action-adventure based on a video game; and "G-Force," a secret-agent themed movie from "Pirates of the Caribbean" executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer, Klaseus said. "Major live action event films" will be announced in subsequent years, he added.
    Sequels to "Cars," "Chronicles of Narnia" and "Toy Story," due in theaters in the next five years, will spawn new product lines that capitalize on pent-up demand for the proven titles, Klaseus said.
    See the complete article here:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/enter...41325720080421

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: Disney Seeks Lost Boys Market

intereting article...altho before reading it i was trying to figure out why Disney would want anything to do with the Lost Boys movies and franchise
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Must be a slow news day "Boy like Action toys".

Story is certainly missing info on what the Disney Stores are carrying,
    including Buzz lightyear and power ranger ongoing mutations. And who
    really believes that Prince Caspian is going to attrack pre teen boys?

• Banned User

Sorry, but Disney will NEVER be very tween boy-savvy. They don't care for Narnia, talking animals, or Pirates. In fact, I think this the only demographic Nick beats Disney in. Tween boys don't want wholesome entertainment. They want comedy and action. Try doing something besides singing-and-dancing kids and laugh-track comedies. Try something besides Power Rangers. If they truly want to succeed, then they need to rethink their focus. Try being more like Nick and Cartoon Network, with the whole anime deal. American Dragon and The Emperor's New School aren't the answer. The whole anime thing is what Tween boys enjoy. Cartoon Network's known that since the 90's. Avatar, Nick's anime, is a tremendous hit. If Disney wants to get into the boys market, make something like Avatar or the however-many types of anime CN has. However, Disney Channel is typecast for the teenybopper girls. HSM and Hannah Montana made Disney Channel a girly channel. It's not nearly as bad as before, but it's going to take way more than The Jonas Brothers to get them out of this mess. Not to mention Disney is considered "Kiddie" by most of these kids, as they already spew curse words and slang, skate and ride bikes without helmets, and typically have a daily session of MTV. Disney needs to try their own Superhero franchise, which, if i'm correct, is already in the works. In other words, most boys want action.
    Last edited by stitchon; 04-22-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Well, there is the Power Rangers brand. Just bring Jason David Frank and success.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    HSM and Hannah Montana made Disney Channel a girly channel. It's not nearly as bad as before, but it's going to take way more than The Jonas Brothers to get them out of this mess. Not to mention Disney is considered "Kiddie" by most of these kids, as they already spew curse words and slang, skate and ride bikes without helmets, and typically have a daily session of MTV. Disney needs to try their own Superhero franchise, which, if i'm correct, is already in the works. In other words, most boys want action.
    So ...

Lilo & Stitch the Series, Even Stevens, American Dragon, The Emperor's New School, Phineas & Ferb, and now Jonas Brothers aren't helping... what will? I know Ferb is quite popular, but I wouldn't tag it with the tweens either, older boys at best. The Incredibles was successful, but no where near as much as other films - at least when it comes to continued popularity as we've seen with Fairies, Ariel, Princesses and others.

When you think about it, it took Disney nearly 10 years to get this successful with the tween market. I watched it and enjoyed it 10 years ago as a tween, but I was certainly in the minority. That is not the case for your average 11-year-old female today.

Disney has their stake in young girls with the Princess line aimed at ages 3-6 and Fairies for ages 7-10. Luckily, Ariel has some overlap between the two -- not to mention the HM and HSM overlap goes from 4-14, and then some. Care and Toy Story are quite popular with young boys ages 2-6. Power Rangers and Pirates do take over, but not for long usually attracting boys ages 4-8.

Yes, they should try to 'secure' that tween group also, but how much of a priority or an actuality will that be? Could Wall-E be enough to attract the tweens? It has a sort of sci-fi element along with the strong animation and story. Nightmare Before Christmas is quite popular with the tweens, but there isn't much that is being done for that outside of a Disney Parks villains store or your local Hot Topic and sometimes TDS.

The strong Playhouse Disney shows are popular with both boys and girls. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Little Einsteins are quite gender neutral while Hanny Manny attracts more boys and My Friends Tigger & Pooh attracts more girls. Capturing their attention and now their love of classic Disney characters like Mickey and Minnie helps create big fans at young ages. Keeping the kids attached to Disney in one way or another is key, but if they can't grasp on 100%, that doesn't mean they are failing as an entertainment Company. They have their key values to stick to by offering wholesome family entertainment and that will and should always be a priority.

As I've said before, I'll say it again. It takes a Disney to make girls loves princesses, but it takes Pixar for Disney to have success with the boys.

Ducktales
    Talepsin

That is all that is needed. At least I LOVED these when I was in my tweens. Rescue Rangers was good too.

• RCMC BlackSmith

Quote Originally Posted by B-Dex View Post
    Ducktales
    Talepsin

That is all that is needed. At least I LOVED these when I was in my tweens. Rescue Rangers was good too.
    Yeah but now theyve got The Simpsons, The Suite Life of Zack and cody, and Cory in the House. And you cant really make good prodeucts off of those shows. Except for the Simpsons but thats not Disney.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Keeping the kids attached to Disney in one way or another is key, but if they can't grasp on 100%, that doesn't mean they are failing as an entertainment Company.
    Exactly. The problem with Disney is that they won't admit defeat until much later. If they would just concentrate on their current brands and not waste money on things that won't work, they will still be in the clear. Disney is not and never will be Hip and Edgy (case in point: DCA). Leave this market to the other channels, and keep to the stuff and demographic they do best. Granted, it took Disney a long time to come ahead in ratings, but they need something long-term. Hannah Montana and High School Musical aren't long term, and the fact that DC rotates shows every three to four years makes it worse. At least on Nick, kids have an established set of shows, and a crop of brand new ones. Disney Channel needs to act on familiarity. It works wonders for Spongebob, who has been on for 9 years and is still selling Merch. Not to mention Nick reruns shows to death, like Jimmy Neutron and Danny Phantom, both were canceled in summer of last year, and they still have weekly airings. It takes a few months for DC to phase out a show and bring in a new one. It's like Disneyland switching out parades every few years: It would confuse guests. Not to mention big hits are canned before they become popular. Spongebob and Rugrats took YEARS until they became popular, and they were Nick's biggest moneymakers. Yes, kids have short attention spans, but that doesn't mean they want new shows every year, only leading to the disappearance of another.

(You may have noticed I'm very Nickelodeon-biased. I'm truly sorry, I know that I seem like it, but I'm really not. It's just a habit of comparing successes of the past to successes of the present.)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by B-Dex View Post
    Ducktales
    Talepsin

And HOW! I loved those shows soooo much, and I still sing all of their theme songs!

....Sometimes, some crimes, go slipping through the cracks, but these two gum shoes are picking up the tracks, there's no case to big, no case to small if you need help just call.....

But personally I think it has a lot more to do with readily mature content that is available to our youth world wide.

Tween boy, want to be big boys, and having shows that 'talk down' to them is not the way to go.

I honetly don't know what the answer would be, but something that invloves fighting, bathroom humor, and a way to rebel against authority!

I wish there was a way to get kids back into wholesome entertainment that is exciting yet not disgusting.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Former Cast Member

Have you ever watched Tween boys at the parks? They only begrudgingly ride the fantasyland rides. They want the action rides like SM, Matterhorn, BTRR. I was at Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show today and there were 6 male tweeners sitting up in the back. I was watching their reaction to the show. All but one generally were watching, but outwardly they didn't appear to enjoy it too much until some of the more slapstick action happened. Overall, having taught in the grade level, I think they probably did enjoy it a bit, but wouldn't tell their friends they did.

The one that wasn't watching started fiddling with playing cards after a while since he couldn't distract his friends with derogatory comments toward the show and shouting out things like "lame, loser, etc..." Toward the end, even this kid was watching. Having worked with kids just like him, I will bet that he will use a couple of the jokes he heard at the show when he gets back home or to school.

Now- the show was interesting to these kids, but not enough to get them to say it outright. Put the same kids on Space mountain or another fast ride (screamin) and they will be gushing.

The way to get to this market is through thrill rides and "cool stuff" like that.
    Frankly, I don't know that investment in TV productions is nearly as important as putting in E-ticket rides for this group. Given the choice, most of these kids will pick 6-flags over D-land (outwardly when their friends are there).

• Circle of Ancients

Disney needs to stop profiling children. I am sick and tired of seeing everything Sleeping Beauty or Snow White have princess packaging, especially when a lot of the items have to do with the Seven Dwarfs, Prince Phillip, The Evil Queen, Maleficent, and the dragon, all of which were my favorites when I was younger. These are in no way related to princesses and yet they package them up in pretty pink boxes. It's disgusting. Disney needs to go back to their old way of marketing, based on individual films.