John Lasseter: Blu-ray way

John Lasseter

Pixar and Disney Animation Studios

Lasseter
    Title: Chief creative officer

By Diane Garrett
    Variety
    April 25, 2008

John Lasseter has become one of the first filmmakers to embrace Blu-ray in the same way helmers have coveted DVD.

Disney's toon guru, for example, created rich bonus features for last November's Blu-ray version of "Cars," and proceeded to enthusiastically show them off to assorted members of the press.

Among his fave extras: a Car Finder game designed to showcase the more than 200 automotive extras that appear over the course of the film, each with their own personalities and backstories, and the Cine-Explore feature, which allows viewers to watch a docu on the making of the pic, while also watching the movie itself.

Neither of these features is available on the earlier released standard DVD version of "Cars."

But most of all, he's jazzed about the higher resolution Blu-ray supports, declaring it a reason in and of itself for consumers to upgrade.

Lasseter has pledged his Blu-ray support for all future toons.

So far, Lasseter and Disney are putting their money where their mouths are. "Ratatouille," the studio's Oscar-winning toon, debuted on Blu-ray the same time as "Cars" and also contained a series of extras not found on the DVD version. Its features include a game and the Cine-Explore feature, stocked with animation briefings, docu shorts and an R.I.P. graveyard for deleted scenes.

A Blu-ray version of "WALL-E" is expected later this year, and high-def versions of catalog Pixar toons such as "Finding Nemo," the all-time top seller on DVD, are also in the works.

POV: "He puts so much detail in his movies that people don't see," notes Disney-DVD and Blu-ray production topper Andy Siditsky.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=20&cs=1
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-26-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Re: John Lasseter: Blu-ray way

Slow news day. But it's nice to hear that Lasseter likes his Blu-Ray. I'm waiting to here if Blu-ray players or discs have gotten a spike in sales due to the demise of.. wait... let me think... wasn't there another kind of... oh yeah Laser Disc

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Well as they say at the L.A. Weekly, it's not the news that is slow its the readers. But Business is business so here you go:

Hardware
    Sales of Blu-ray disc Not Enough to Stop Home Video Slump

April 24, 2008 7:55 PM

Blu-ray Disc sales growing, but home video revenues are still down

The future of home video is thought to be set now with Blu-ray Disc emerging as the victor in the high-definition format war, but things aren’t quite so rosy in the present market.

Blu-ray Disc sales have jumped considerably in 2008, particularly following Toshiba’s surrender of the HD DVD format. In December 2007, 63 percent of high-definition movies were sold on Blu-ray Disc, and in March 2008, that number moved up to 81 percent, reported one analyst firm.

According to Reuters, 4.9 million high-def movies were sold, 3.8 million of which were Blu-ray – already well ahead of the pace in 2007, which saw total sales of 9.8 million.

Strong sales of Blu-ray Disc are not enough to make up for sagging sales of standard DVDs, which have been declining over the last two years. In 2006, movie studios generated $25 billion in revenue for home video releases. That number fell to $23.1 billion in 2007, with a further fall to $21.4 billion expected for this year, figured Citigroup analyst Jason Bazinet.

Unlike the changeover from VHS to DVD, analysts appear less optimistic about consumers upgrading their machines and libraries to higher resolutions.
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11574
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-26-2008 at 06:11 PM.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Is a library upgrade needed? Can't the new Blu-ray players also play the old DVD format discs...is that not true?

Hell, I haven't finished replacing all my VHS tapes to DVD yet!

Is a library upgrade needed? Can't the new Blu-ray players also play the old DVD format discs...is that not true?
    This is the struggle. To grow the home video market, the studios have to sell us their catalog titles again, and again, and again. Any disc based player (HD DVD, Blu Ray ect) that doesn't play existing DVD's won't be given a moment's consideration from ANYONE in the general public.

Because of this, I think that Blu Ray will continue to limp along, because the majority of Blue Ray sales will be from New Titles ( I presume) just coming off their theatrical run. People will sit on their existing DVD library. even if they do buy a new player in the next two years, they are only going to buy new (select) titles.

Blu Ray's biggest foe isn't HD DVD it's DVD, and don't let the doom and gloom from the studios fool you they are still making boat loads of money from home video. They have just gotten spoiled by the explosive growth that DVD provided, but it was 25 years after VHS (and VHS wears out) Blu Ray is only about 10 years after DVD (and they don't really wear out)

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post

Hell, I haven't finished replacing all my VHS tapes to DVD yet!
    yes, I believe Blue-Ray players also play regular DVDs.

The companies, on the other hand (as some have said), probably want folks to re-buy their whole catalog/library. Like you said, there are plenty still upgrading from VHS.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Blu-ray does indeed play DVDs and most of the good one have line doubler software built in as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Seasick

I'm trying not to upgrade very many movies. Some I will though. Beauty & The Beast for example is a terrible DVD, what with several versions of the movie crammed onto one disc. The footage of that movie in high-def on the Enchanted Blu-Ray is amazing.

• DJ Ben

I bought the HD DVD player for my Xbox360 so it'll be a while till I switch to Blu-Ray, lol I'm still not too happy about that.

As soon as I upgrade my TV to HD I will be investing in a Blu ray player
    Matthew

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by benihodge View Post
    I bought the HD DVD player for my Xbox360 so it'll be a while till I switch to Blu-Ray, lol I'm still not too happy about that.
    I hope you're at least able to take advantage of the many sales on HD-DVDs. If I had an XBox, I'd consider paying the $50 currently being charged for the HD-DVD drive and stock up on discounted movies.

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    As soon as I upgrade my TV to HD I will be investing in a Blu ray player
    If you know you're getting a Blu-Ray player soon, I recommend not buying anymore standard DVDs. You'll wish you waited for the high-def versions. I bought a PS3 shortly after I bought Pirates 3 on DVD, and I ended up buying the movie again because after seeing high-def movies, I really really wanted that one on Blu-Ray.