• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Miley Cyrus on Vanity Fair photos, "Embarassing" not "Artsy"

Miley Cyrus decides 'Vanity Fair' photos are embarrassing, not 'artsy'

Updated 45m ago

By Scott Gries, Getty Images
    Miley Cyrus, shown here at the CMT Music Awards on April 14,
    appears in the June issue of Vanity Fair.

By Lorena Blas
    USA TODAY
    April 28, 2008

Miley Cyrus fans will get to see a different side of the pop sensation in June's Vanity Fair, and it's a side she apparently has second thoughts about revealing.

The 15-year-old actress/singer posed for celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz for the issue, on sale in New York and Los Angeles on Wednesday and nationwide May 6. One waist-up shot shows Cyrus looking provocatively over her right shoulder, her back nude and breasts covered by her arms and shimmery fabric.

In a caption with the image, Disney's Hannah Montana star tells VF: "I think it's really artsy. It wasn't in a skanky way. Annie took, like, a beautiful shot, and I thought that was really cool. That's what she wanted me to do, and you can't say no to Annie. She's so cute. She gets this puppy-dog look and you're like, 'OK.' "

But on Sunday, Cyrus apparently had a change of heart. "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed," she said in a statement issued by her publicist, Jill Fritzo. "I never intended for any of this to happen, and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about."

Disney Channel also took the offensive by issuing a statement. "Unfortunately, as the article suggests, a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines."
    full article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...ity-fair_N.htm

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Miley Cyrus on Vanity Fair photos, "Embarassing" not "Artsy"

"I never intended for any of this to happen, and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about."
    But you still cashed the check, right?

Disney Channel also took the offensive by issuing a statement. "Unfortunately, as the article suggests, a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines."
    But it's perfectly alright to manipulate a 15-year-old to sell advertising, CD's, MP3's, movie tickets, DVD's, video games and countless other consumer products?

This wasn't some impulsive set of digital pics sent to a boyfriend. This was a planned photo shoot with a well-known photographer for a well-known publication. Dear Miley, don't pretend for a moment that you were somehow used or manipulated by the media. If you and your family don't have the cajones to admit you willingly posed for these pictures, you shouldn't have done them in the first place. This smacks of the worst kind of hypocrisy from you, your family and from Disney.

Oh, and Annie Leibovitz or not, tell me again when it's appropriate to take suggestive photos of a 15-year-old girl.

Said the girl who showed off her lovely green bra (mong other thigns) on her myspace page?

Ha. Suck it up and move on.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Judge for yourself. One of the "artsy" "embarrassing" photos in question . . .

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Judge for yourself. One of the "artsy" "embarrassing" photos in question . . .

Was she trying to make Miley look like a heroin addict? Or is Miley planning on starring in the next Tim Burton flick?

I don't see what the big deal is.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    Was she trying to make Miley look like a heroin addict? Or is Miley planning on starring in the next Tim Burton flick?
    At least she wasn't trying to look like Marilyn Monroe.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

She looks like she just had sex. Annnddd.. the Photoshop job is bad.

Why would her parents let her pose like that?! Eeppp.

Poor Miley.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

She would have looked better if she'd sat up. Now she looks like she has a bit of a hump forming....

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Oy. As the mom of 2 girls, Im not sure Id be too happy with them having pics like that. Celebrities or not.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

•   
    • Seasick

That one photo doesn't reveal much. No more than a 15 year-old in a bikini, really.

My first instinct is the photo is inappropriate for a 15 year-old, but I don't think it's a big deal. She doesn't look sleazy or anything.

• Banned User

It's called thinking before you do something. Try it Miley and Co.

• I'll pencil this in later

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    It's called thinking before you do something. Try it Miley and Co.
    Exactly. "You can't say no to her, she's just so cute" is not a justifiable excuse.

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    But you still cashed the check, right?
    Exactly! Great point!
    Class of 2005...

• Creative Director

Anyone notice that quite a few of the latest "controversial" photo shoots have been Annie Leibovitz shoots?
    hmmmmm, interesting...

wasn't she also the one that ticked off the queen of England during their shoot, trying to get her to remove her crown...let's just say this, her majesty was not pleased.

Annie, Annie, Annie...
    also interesting that she is doing the YOAMD character/celebrity campaign.

Life's ironic, isn't it?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Brooks Barnes from The New York Times chimes in . . .

Revealing Photo Threatens a Major Disney Franchise

LOS ANGELES — Fifteen years old, topless and wrapped in what appears to be a satin bedsheet in the June issue of Vanity Fair. Did Miley Cyrus, with the help of a controversy-courting magazine, just deliver a blow to the Walt Disney Company’s billion-dollar “Hannah Montana” franchise?

Some parents reacted with outrage over the weekend when the television program “Entertainment Tonight” began showing commercials promoting a scoop: Ms. Cyrus, the star of the wholesome Disney Channel blockbuster “Hannah Montana,” had posed topless, albeit with her chest covered, for the Vanity Fair photographer, Annie Leibovitz.

Screen grabs of the photo quickly popped up online, sparking a blogosphere debate. “Bonfire anyone?” wrote Lin Burress on her marriage and parenting blog, Telling It Like It Is, referring to the mountain of Hannah Montana retail items — makeup, shoes, clothes — in the marketplace. “Parents should be extremely concerned,” Ms. Burress said in an interview. “Very young girls look up to Miley Cyrus as a role model.”
    And while the Cyrus family continues to backpedal as Disney calls the kettle black, the question looms how did the Mouse House get blindsided not only by their biggest tween star, but also by the very photographer they commissioned for the Disney Dream Portraits series?

At the very least, Ms. Cyrus and her advisers do not seem to be on the same page as Disney. The company learned of the photo only when “Entertainment Tonight” started showing its promos.
    Full Story: http://www.marketwatch.com/enf/nytim...er=MARKETWATCH

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast