• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Miley Cyrus to perform at Disney Channel Games

Miley to Perform at Disney Channel Games

By Ellen Shapiro
    People
    Originally posted Wednesday April 30, 2008 03:45 PM EDT

She may be under fire for her Vanity Fair and Internet photos, but Miley Cyrus will still be center stage Saturday at the 2008 Disney Channel Games.

The Disney Channel stands by their Hannah Montana superstar, confirming that she will perform at the concert wrapping the weeklong charity event held at Walt Disney World in Orlando.

After some private photos hit the blogs – but before Cyrus apologized for the "embarassing" Vanity Fair magazine shoot– a Disney exec conceded, "the Internet adds a whole new twist to typical teenage life."

"Being the most famous 15-year-old in the world is exciting but fraught with challenges and exceptional responsibility," Gary Marsh, Disney Channel entertainment president, told the Los Angeles Times about their biggest star before the photo flap.

The scandal hasn't slowed down Cyrus's packed work schedule. In addition to the concert – which airs in July and also features the Jonas Brothers, The Cheetah Girls, Demi Lovato and Jordan Pruitt – Cyrus will begin filming the Hannah Montana movie next week in Nashville. Her new album is slated for a July release.

Not to mention most industry experts expect Cyrus will be just fine. "The audience is going to let this one go," says Jerry Del Colliano, a music industry professor at the University of Southern California. "The parents are going to forgive and the kids are going to love her just as much."
    http://www.people.com/people/article...196675,00.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Miley Cyrus to perform at Disney Channel Games

The FIRST smart move in days:

Miley Cyrus to skip scheduled Disney red carpet event

It was the first scheduled public appearance since Vanity Fair published photos
    that have thrown her status as a role model for young girls into question.

From the Associated Press
    via the Los Angeles Times
    May 1, 2008

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Miley Cyrus won't be attending her first scheduled public appearance since Vanity Fair published photos that have thrown her status as a role model for young girls into question, Disney said Thursday.

The 15-year-old star of "Hannah Montana" for weeks has been scheduled to appear at a red carpet event Friday, but is no longer expected, Disney confirmed. Cyrus was to appear at a media party in Orlando on Friday, along with dozens of other Disney Channel stars in town to film the "Disney Channel Games," a charity competition.

Disney did not elaborate on the change in Cyrus' status for the party.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,5931619.story

• Rock Star Minion

I heard she was going to enter the Career-in-a-Trash-Bucket Toss event.

Here's the thing: if she is a good singer, this bump won't make a bit of difference. If she does not have the chops, then probably it's bucketsville. Roll over, Britney.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Miley Cyrus Meets Sen. John Edwards, Skips Red Carpet

Originally posted Friday May 02, 2008 11:40 AM EDT
    People

Photo by: Garth Vaughan / Disney

Miley Cyrus may be skipping the red carpet at this weekend's 2008 Disney Channel Games in Florida – "on the advice of her management team," a source tells PEOPLE – but she's keeping plenty busy anyway, hitting the rides, rehearsing for her upcoming performance, and meeting Sen. John Edwards and his family.

On Thursday, Cyrus and her brother Braison rode the rides at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. While in line for the Test Track ride, Cyrus ran into Edwards and his three children. (The senator's youngest two children, Emma Claire and Jack, are Hannah Montana fans who were super eager to meet the star.)

"She chatted with them about all the rides and attractions they saw at Walt Disney World," a source close to the singer tells PEOPLE. "It was a sweet moment."

On Friday, Cyrus will continue her rehearsals and has some work to do before production begins on the Hannah Montana feature film next week. The singer is also working on her role in Bolt – an animated film to which she lends her voice.
    http://www.people.com/people/article...197494,00.html

another photo with Minnie:
    http://www.usmagazine.com/hot_pics_gallery?o=5
    Last edited by ALIASd; 05-02-2008 at 11:28 AM.

• Banned User

Two Words: Contractually Obligated.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Miley Cyrus singing in Orlando, not discussing Vanity Fair photo

Miley Cyrus performs Saturday during the
    Disney Channel Games in Orlando.
    (Disney Channel / May 3, 2008)

By Hal Boedeker
    Sentinel Television Critic
    May 4, 2008

Miley Cyrus is working to put that Vanity Fair portrait behind her. During a Saturday concert in Orlando, the 15-year-old star of Hannah Montana didn't address the controversy over the photo. But she did allude to it briefly. After spotting a "Miley I'm praying for you" sign in the crowd, the young star said "I can't be more appreciative of that."

The teen sang "See You Again," "Fly on the Wall" and "Breakout." She performed the songs for inclusion in programs on the Disney Channel Games, which were played last week at Disney's Wide World of Sports. The concert also featured Jonas Brothers and the Cheetah Girls.

Miley didn't attend a red-carpet party celebrating the games Friday night at Epcot, where media questions were certain. But at that event, co-star Jason Earles said she was doing fine.

"She's one of the strongest people I've ever met," Earles said. "She'll do everything to make sure she does right by her fans. It will be all right."

Disney Channel wasn't talking about the furor, either.

"Miley made a statement," said Gary Marsh, president of entertainment for Disney Channel Worldwide. "The games are about the talent here. We're really focused on that."
    Miley has been rehearsing for a Hannah Montana theatrical movie, which starts filming Monday in Nashville. She has an album coming out in July, and she begins production on a third season of her comedy series in August. The movie, to be released next May, reveals more about the Stewart family and its life in Tennessee.

"It's not set in the past," Earles said. "It's a remember-where-you-came-from movie. We always try to learn a little lesson."

The lesson of these Disney Channel Games? Jonas Brothers are huge. The three -- Kevin, Joe and Nick -- were the most-sought-after celebrities. Disney Channel screened their movie Camp Rock for critics to build buzz for the June premiere.

Camp Rock co-star Demi Lovato said Jonas Brothers are popular because they're different.

"It's not just their sound, but it's their personalities," she said. "You don't find three good, humble, classic gentleman rock stars. There's no such thing. They're rock stars, but yet when the get off [the stage], they're nerds and gentlemen and humble."

Earles praised co-star Miley's character. "I know what kind of person she is. She has a great heart," he said.

He joked about all the questions he gets about the Hannah Montana star. "It's usually Miley-centric," he said. "The world does revolve around Miley, contrary to anyone's opinion."

And he's not complaining. "I'll ride her coattails to the end," Earles said. "I've got no problem with that."
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/enter...0,655628.story

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Will Disney Channel Games return next year? Sounds like it -- but maybe we need to send them a message

Posted on May 4, 2008 11:01:46 AM

I hope Disney Channel executives realize how thrilled Central Floridians were to attend the Disney Channel Games last week.

Consider Saturday's concert. It rained, and people stayed. It started late, and people stayed. It ran long -- concert-goers were warned that would happen because it's a TV production -- and people stayed.

The audience on the field was told repeatedly to back up for safety reasons, and it did.

And there was the concert-goer who told Miley Cyrus, via poster, "Miley, I'm praying for you." The singer took note: "I can't be more appreciative of that."

Memo to Disney Channel: Central Florida cares.

So will the games return next year to Disney's Wide World of Sports? Do you want them to return?

"Walt Disney World feels like the right home," executive Adam Sanderson told me Friday at an Epcot party. He is senior vice president of brand marketing for Disney ABC Networks Group. He added that employees had been "incredibly gracious."

More encouraging words came from Gary Marsh, president of entertainment for Disney Channel Worldwide. "The parks have been an incredible host for us," he told me. "I'm optimistic that we'll continue this tradition, if only to have a chance to build it out and make it bigger."

He added: "I'm hopeful and optimistic we can raise the bar next year."

Sounds like they'll back. The region wants them back. What do you think?
    http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ent...isney-cha.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

"I hope you had an awesome time," Cyrus told the crowd after performing her set. "I saw a sign back there that said, 'Miley, I'm praying for you.' I could not be more appreciative. Thank you guys for all your support. Without you, none of this would be possible. I love every one of you and I could not be more appreciative. God bless you."

Cyrus kicked off the night with "See You Again" and also debuted two new songs, "Fly on the Wall" and "Breakout," off her upcoming album, dropping on July 22.

Even the downpour didn't dampen the spirits of her fans, who stood in front of the stage and chanted "Miley" in between numbers.

The Jonas Brothers, the Cheetah Girls, Camp Rock star Demi Lovato and Jordan Pruitt also performed at the outdoor show, which capped off the week-long Disney Channel Games. The concert will air in July.

In preparation for her performance, Cyrus opted to skip Friday night's Disney Channel Games media party.

The hard work continued until just an hour before the show, when Cyrus – clad in a white tank top, white jeans and gold earrings – was spotted still putting the finishing touches on her routine and bouncing around on stage with her dancers.
    http://www.people.com/people/article...197779,00.html