BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Marvel looks ahead

Marvel looks ahead

Distribution among variables for the future

By Steven Zeitchik
    The Hollywood Reporter
    May 2, 2008, 01:00 AM

"The Incredible Hulk"

New YORK -- With "Iron Man" set to explode this weekend, the next question for Marvel is: What now?

One big variable is who does the distribution. When its financing deal was announced in summer 2005, Marvel said the deal "guarantees distribution for 10 films" through Paramount.

But that guarantee means the Melrose Avenue studio must distribute movies Marvel brings to it. For Marvel, the pact is simply a two-picture deal, with "Iron Man" the first and Marvel obligated only to distribute its next movie through Paramount. (Universal's "The Incredible Hulk" is exempt.)

An additional provision requires that movies based on "Captain America" and "Nick Fury" go through Paramount should they be made, with either film also counting toward the two-picture deal. Sequels of Par-distributed movies also will remain with the studio.

As a result, Marvel properties including "The Avengers," "Thor" and "Ant Man" could conceivably end up with other distributors.

Three years ago, the company wanted to stress the Paramount deal to show it had a pipeline; now, with "Iron Man" tracking well, Marvel aims to show Wall Street that the fledgling studio has flexibility.

Marvel also needs to convince investors it can deliver a steady stream of product. Despite a deep reservoir of characters, it only plans on releasing two titles per year.

"There's a lot riding on 'Iron Man' for Marvel because they don't have a lot of movies," director Jon Favreau said.

Marvel likely won't be releasing any movies in 2009, as the studio would have to be in pre-production now to make a summer date but isn't, mainly because of Hollywood's labor uncertainty.

"We're not going to risk our characters by rushing them," president of production Kevin Feige said. When asked about the timing of an 'Iron Man" sequel, he added that "two or three years is the proper time between movies." Favreau added, "I'd do number two in a heartbeat."

The studio's next project is expected to be announced on an earnings call Monday, with "Avengers," "Ant Man" and "Thor" the favorites. ("Captain America" is a prime property but is perceived as a tough sale overseas.)
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...bf6be6d2310e93
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Marvel looks ahead

I don't think Captain America would be as tough of an overseas sell as they think. I mean sure, in places that hate us, but I think Asia, Australia, the UK, etc would see it.

• Infinitized!

I wouldn't mind seeing better made sequels to Daredevil and Ghostrider.

• Minion

Blog Entries

wat...when is Wolverine:Orgins coming out then if there are no 09' releases....?

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    wat...when is Wolverine:Orgins coming out then if there are no 09' releases....?
    I thought that too when I first read it, but I think they are refering to Marvel Studios themselves making another movie for 2009.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine I think is being made by 20th Century Fox (just like the rest of the X-Men movies).

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Yeti View Post
    I thought that too when I first read it, but I think they are refering to Marvel Studios themselves making another movie for 2009.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine I think is being made by 20th Century Fox (just like the rest of the X-Men movies).
    oh! ok, good. I was about to write a letter!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Iron Man 2' set for summer 2010

No Marvel features slated for '09 release

By Georg Szalai
    The Hollywood Reporter
    May 5, 2008, 10:09 AM

NEW YORK -- Following the film's blockbuster opening weekend, Marvel Entertainment is planning an "Iron Man" sequel for 2010 after a 2009 without feature releases.

In its earnings report Monday morning, the company unveiled its film release plans for the next three years. They are designed "to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an 'Iron Man' sequel and the launch of 'Thor' in the summer of 2010," it said.

The company has set April 30, 2010, as the release date for "Iron Man 2" and confirmed that it will not have a new film out next year.

"Thor" is slated for June 4, 2010. Marvel also is planting its feature film stakes for 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer.

The May 6, 2011, release of what is now going under the working title "The First Avenger: Captain America" will be followed by "The Avengers" in July.

"Because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the company will not release a self produced film in 2009," the company said.

It had been expected that 2009 would be a film year without Marvel.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...2f09e9fa8ab308
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disneyland PAP

Been emailing friends back and forth about the lack of faith we have for Thor and Ant Man being successful by any stretch of the imagination. Love the notion indicated by the Cap title and planting seeds this early (i.e., Iron Man) about the Avengers and to have Avengers come out after the Cap movie. I'm a huge DC Comics fan, but I have more faith in The First Avenger: Captain America being commercially successful than the ambitious Superman Returns turned out to be.

Sounds cool. Looks like Marvel wants to combat Warner Bros./DC's Justice League of America with their own superhero team movie, The Avengers.

Funny who they'll have Capt. America in one movie and I guess in another movie a few months down the line in The Avengers.

• Disneyland PAP

So far as I know, from a friend who works at WB, DC's live action Justice League is not happening. WB hasn't ponied up any money to actually start production.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

That and the fact that they're using completly different people to be Batman and superman its pointless.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    So far as I know, from a friend who works at WB, DC's live action Justice League is not happening. WB hasn't ponied up any money to actually start production.
    It's not happening yet. They still need a script (it was delayed by the writer's strike). But from what I've heard from over the past year or so, WB seems pretty determined to put the film out at some point.

• Dave

Blog Entries

I can't help think Captain America might be a better series, such as Smalleville. Does anyone know if they'll be a "Fantastic 4" 3? I would love see Dr. Doom return.
    Dave

• Disneyland PAP

^ I went to see both FF flicks with four buddies; we all used to work together in the toy design industry and all still read comic books. Two of us enjoyed (i.e., didn't love) them, the other two hated them. I think my other friends were in the majority 'cuz I haven't heard a peep about an FF3. I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    Does anyone know if they'll be a "Fantastic 4" 3? I would love see Dr. Doom return.
    I've heard some things. It's rumored that the entire cast signed no for 2 more movies ("Fantastic 4" 2 and another) and Doug Jones, who plays the Silver Surfer, might have signed on for 3, ("Fantastic 4" 2, its sequel, and the Silver Surfer spin-off). Other rumors said they might start as early as late this summer after Jessica Alba has had her baby.

In one of the Making-of features on the "Fantastic Four" 2 DVD, Jessica Alba is talking in the end, and suggests that in the next one Sue Storm "might be preggers". Unless she was refering to the fact that she herself will become pregnant (and did).

MTV Movies Blog says that both Jessica Alba and Michael Chiklis express strong interest to do another (even offering up their own storylines), but Chris Evans (who played Johnny Storm) says he doesn't think there will be another one because he "heard nothing from anyone at Fox [yet].” But he really isn't an official source.

But I think there will be another one, maybe just not right away. I guess time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast