Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• back to WDW in January

Is Your Local 'Disney Store' Closing Too?

Ok, we all know by now what is going on with the Disney Stores and that because of Disney's decision to regain control, they will be closing a large number of the stores across the country. However what I want to know in this thread is specifically where they are closing and if you know of a store near you that will be closing soon.
    The following excerpts are from a Mom's site with info on a store closing in the posters local mall:
    Submitted by Claire Ball on Fri May 02, 2008 11:04 am
    I found out today that the Disney Store in the mall [Lafayette, IN] will be closing down in two weeks...
    Submitted by MomOfPrincess on Fri May 02, 2008 3:59 pm
    WHAT! ARE YOU SERIOUS! I LOVE the disney store. I just can't believe that. ...
    Submitted by crtnycrbn on Fri May 02, 2008 9:45 pm
    I know that is awful I work at the mall and they said that 5 yrs ago they were bought by childrens place and now disney bought them back and when they were with childrens place they opened to many stored in this region. So A few stores in Indy are also closing, I know the one in circle center is closing...
    Submitted by Claire Ball Sun May 04, 2008 8:14 pm
    I went in to the Disney Store today and spoke to one of the sales associates and she said that they are going to be open for up to another 8 weeks not the 2 weeks I originally posted...
    Source: (http://forums.lafayettemoms.com/viewtopic.php?t=1770)
    So what's happening with the Disney Stores in your neighborhood? Let us know ...
    Last edited by tjcjr; 05-04-2008 at 08:47 PM.

• Diva Extrodinaire

Re: Is Your Local 'Disney Store' Closing Too?

Not in Torrance!
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

If you haven't seen the thread in the News section, you might want to take a look. There has been an almost real time discussion from the moment that the news came out that Disney was talking to the Children's Place to the Bankruptcy announcement to the store liquidations. I just finished reading through the whole thread and it is simply fascinating. On the one hand, I'm so happy for the stores that are remaining open and the cast members who will once again be Disney employees, but this is such a sad moment for so many stores that are closing. I know that most stores are like families, and this is a really difficult time for a lot of people.

Here's a link to the Disney Store News thread:
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ing-92696.html

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• back to WDW in January

If you haven't seen the thread in the News section, you might want to take a look.
    thanks for including the link. I have also been following that thread from the beginning and found it fascinating as well. That, among other things, is what prompted me to generate this related thread. As a former Disney Store cast member myself, who fell victim to closings in my own area a few years back, I can certainly relate to much of what is being said. My topic however is not to discuss the how's and why's but simply the when's and where's. As of right now I have not gotten any info on the stores in MA that may be closing but I hope to find out shortly.

•   

Well according to the original document that listed which stores were to stay and close, none of the MA stores were supposed to close. Salem, NH was the only one out of the 3 NH stores, and Warwick, RI were to stay open. But as mentioned in the other thread that list has since been modified and no new list is known at this time.

I have personally spoken to CMs my two closest stores South Shore Plaza (Braintree) and Square One Mall (Saugus) since the changes started and both said they were still safe (as of now). The one store I really miss in the area is Faneuil Hall, it is a shame to not have one in the city of Boston, especially in such a popular destination area. When I worked at Faneuil Hall, at a different retailer, it was probably one of the most frequently requested stores that tourists missed even though it had been gone for several years at that point.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 05-04-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo

• Too far from Disney World

Ok, I'm near Cincinnati Ohio.

They already closed the one at Northgate Mall in January (which was a complete surprise). The on in Tri-County, which has been there at least 15 years and I visit 2-3 times a week as it's by my work) is closing in 6 weeks. The on In Beavercreek (Mall at Fairfield Commons) is also closing, although I don't know when.

This now leaves the closest ones to us at Florence Mall in Kentucky or Polaris Mall in Columbus. Both at least an hour away. I'm not sure on the other stores in Ohio. This is an extremely sad Disney Store fan here!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I live near Pittsburgh and they closed an old store about 25 miles out, but they did open a new store in a new mall near me. There are now four stores near me.

What do they do with the decor in the stores they are closing? One CM told me they just throw them away. I can't believe that. Don't they auction some on ebay?

I have read that my store (Berkshire Mall) is closing. I am going to talk with the mgr.when I am in there on Thursday. I also read that the outlet store near me is due to close- but it just opened a few months ago....

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    What do they do with the decor in the stores they are closing? One CM told me they just throw them away. I can't believe that. Don't they auction some on ebay?
    They have always said that it was all to be destroyed but a few years back that was not always the case. When Disney owned the stores before and had a closing they used to sell it though their auction site on ebay. But I think they are no longer running the ebay store. What will really happen to the animation now isn't certain. What they couldn't use in the past for repairs in other stores displays used to get sold or scrapped depending on the condition, but that was when Disney gave a damn about it's stores. But now with any store that is to stay open supposedly getting a remodel if it hasn't recieved on recently no one knows what will really happen.

I have assisted in closing a several differerent locations in the past and the animation demolition was not allowed by the CM staff. After the store's staff has completed its duties and shipped out all merchandise a third party contractor would come in and strip away anything Disney related usually except for the carpet. I remember CMs asking during the closing if they could keep something small as a momento of their many years of working at a location, and they DM used to get very defensive and said "it all needs to get destroyed" Later those pieces magically ended up on ebay being sold by Disney.

I asked in mine again this morning and the manager in there said that this is all so new to them that they have no idea what's going on. They are told it will be destroyed or shipped to another store. I asked about a cardboard Donald they always use for the semi-annual sale and she said that their DMs will either destroy it or send it back to Disney. But then she said they get a new story every day.

It's so sad seeing all the red signs and "store closing" signs. I was there when the store opened today and the manager let me take pictures of the animations and decorations on the walls. She said she didn't care at this point cause they couldn't do anything worse to her. They all know me in there as I've been going to this store since I was in elementary school and even more since I started working back out here. They ahd some guy in there today ordering them around. I couldn't make out if it was a DM or what. He was telling them where and how to hang the signs. One stage behind the register was FULL of signs. There wasn't enough room in the store for the amount of signs they had!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post
    I asked in mine again this morning and the manager in there said that this is all so new to them that they have no idea what's going on. They are told it will be destroyed or shipped to another store. I asked about a cardboard Donald they always use for the semi-annual sale and she said that their DMs will either destroy it or send it back to Disney. But then she said they get a new story every day.

It's so sad seeing all the red signs and "store closing" signs. I was there when the store opened today and the manager let me take pictures of the animations and decorations on the walls. She said she didn't care at this point cause they couldn't do anything worse to her. They all know me in there as I've been going to this store since I was in elementary school and even more since I started working back out here. They ahd some guy in there today ordering them around. I couldn't make out if it was a DM or what. He was telling them where and how to hang the signs. One stage behind the register was FULL of signs. There wasn't enough room in the store for the amount of signs they had!
    I just got back from there and I too was saddened to see the closing signs. They told me their last day was July 25th. I could tell the employees were sad, too. They didn't want to hang up the signs.
    And the nearest ones are in Columbus and Kentucky? Yikes! Guess it's online shopping for me for now on I'm not driving an hour and a half .
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    I just got back from there and I too was saddened to see the closing signs. They told me their last day was July 25th. I could tell the employees were sad, too. They didn't want to hang up the signs.
    And the nearest ones are in Columbus and Kentucky? Yikes! Guess it's online shopping for me for now on I'm not driving an hour and a half .
    Now, I know the one in Tri-County would do shipping with phone orders. I can give you the Florence phone number if you want it so you can call them for things. I know online didn't have everything in the store and vice versa.

Fascinating thread. I used to be a Disney Store fanatic, but the stock became bland over the years, and then the closed the two stores within two hours of my home. I'm curious, can someone post pics of the different store 'looks'? I think I've only ever seen the original pink ones, the gorgeous Faneuil Hall store (mentioned above), and the World of Disney stores at WDW and DL.
    Thanks!
    Bored? Check out my animation news & reviews website: http://skunkandburningtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post

Is this Florence,KY?
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I mentioned this in the other thread but last tuesday (the day before the take-over) we were informed that our store (desert Ridge) here in Arizona and the store at Paradise Valley Mall are closing. We start liquidation today and the signage and everything are beyond tacky. i don't even want to go in

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast