Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Iron Man 2'

• Circle of Ancients

Re: 'Iron Man 2'

I'm actually okay with Cheadle. He's a tremendous actor. I thought Howards portrayal was actually one of the weak spots in Iron Man. It was just kind of ... there.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I thought Howards portrayal was actually one of the weak spots in Iron Man. It was just kind of ... there.
    That wasn't necesarily the actors fault. The character was just kind of "there" in the first film. He's supposedly going to play a much larger role in this film. I just think it's a shame Howard isn't going to get the opportunity to grow with the character.

If it had to happen though, I am glad they got someone the caliber of Cheadle as his replacement.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

While doing interviews for his latest film, 'Soul Men' in Los Angeles, Samuel L. Jackson talked briefly about his return as Nick Fury in the sequel to 'Iron Man' and working with Don Cheadle, who has replaced Terrence Howard in the role of Jim Rhodes. In the first film, Nick Fury appears to Tony Stark in his house letting him know that he wants to start the Avengers initiative.

Are we going to see more of Nick Fury in 'Iron Man 2'?

Samuel L. Jackson: I saw Jon Favreau last night (at the Scream Awards), and he told me we were. I was standing next to George Lucas and he said to me, 'Hey! I hope you are making your deal with them (Paramount)' and I was like, 'Really' (Laughs)

Are you excited to be working with Don Cheadle?

SLJ: Yes. Don and I are good friends and I think it's going to be an exciting difference. We'll see what happens. It's kind of amazing how (the switch from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle) that happened.
    Samuel L. Jackson Talks Briefly On 'Iron Man 2' and Don Cheadle - Black Voices Blogs
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

I'm disappointed. I like Terrence Howard and it feels like a slight to not have him reprise the role. I love Cheadle's work, and I'm sure he'll be great in this role, but it seems like having such a great cast the first time around, having as many of them reprising their roles has greater integrity. I agree, Cheadle will draw more fans, but Howard is an exceptional actor and deserved to be there.

Looks like Terrence Howard was just as surprised as us when he wasn't asked to return:

Howard Says Being Replaced Was 'Surprise of a Lifetime'

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Source: Marvel Entertainment
    October 28, 2008

ROBERT DOWNEY JR. AND JON FAVREAU SUIT UP FOR MARVEL STUDIOS'
    THE AVENGERS AND IRON MAN 2

As part of his four picture deal with Marvel Studios, Robert Downey Jr. is appearing as Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS motion picture, as well as reprising his starring role as the larger-than-life leading character in IRON MAN 2. Jon Favreau will return to direct the sequel to the blockbuster IRON MAN, which to date has grossed over $578 million worldwide, as well as executive produce THE AVENGERS.

Academy Award® nominee Downey was most recently seen in the summer comedy blockbuster TROPIC THUNDER starring opposite Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Before Iron Man, he was best known for his film roles in KISS KISS BANG BANG, WONDER BOYS and CHAPLIN, the film for which he was nominated for an Oscar®.

In addition to directing the first IRON MAN, Favreau has previously directed ELF, ZATHURA: A SPACE ADVENTURE and MADE. He is also well known for writing and starring in SWINGERS. He will next be seen acting in FOUR CHRISTMASES, I LOVE YOU MAN and COUPLES RETREAT.

DON CHEADLE WILL STAR AS RHODEY IN IRON MAN 2

Marvel Studios is pleased today to confirm that an agreement has been finalized with award-winning actor Don Cheadle to take on the role of Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes in Marvel's IRON MAN 2 due in theaters on May 7, 2010. In casting Cheadle, Marvel replaces Terrence Howard who appeared in the role of Rhodey in IRON MAN.

Cheadle is also signed on to perform the same role in THE AVENGERS and subsequent installments of the IRON MAN franchise.

"We are very excited about working with the extraordinarily talented Don Cheadle as we expand the role of Rhodey in Iron Man 2. It has already become apparent as we prep the movie for production, that the dynamic between Robert and Don will take Iron Man 2 to new heights," said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios.

Cheadle is best known for his Oscar® nominated lead performance in HOTEL RWANDA as well as his role as Basher Tarr in the OCEAN'S franchise, CRASH and SWORDFISH.

Based on Marvel's iconic Super Hero, IRON MAN 2 continues the story of this summer's box office blockbuster IRON MAN, the first feature film produced independently by Marvel Studios. IRON MAN 2 will be produced by Marvel Studios' President, Kevin Feige, and executive produced by Louis D'Esposito, Jon Favreau, Stan Lee, David Maisel and Denis Stewart.

In a movie event, THE AVENGERS will bring together the super hero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they've ever faced.

The highly anticipated sequel to IRON MAN will be released in theatres on May 7, 2010 and THE AVENGERS will be released July 15, 2011. Both films will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Did Marvel sign Edward Norton for subsequent Hulk pictures/Avengers???

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Don't recall reading about a multi-picture deal with him. But considering how unpleasant it seems to have gotten between him & the studio I kind of doubt we'll see him green again unless Favreau can get him back and sit in the editing room together.

THE FULL TEXT OF EDWARD NORTON'S E-MAILED STATEMENT

"Like so many people I've loved the story of The Hulk since I was a kid, so it was thrilling when Marvel asked me to write and help produce an altogether new screen incarnation, as well as play Bruce Banner. I grew up reading Marvel Comics and always loved the mythic dimension and contemporary themes in the stories, and I’m proud of the script I wrote. In every phase of production, including the editing, working with Louis Leterrier has been wonderful...I've never had a better partner, and the collaboration with all the rest of the creative team has been terrific. Every good movie gets forged through collaboration, and different ideas among people who are all committed and respect the validity of each other's opinions is the heart of filmmaking. Regrettably, our healthy process, which is and should be a private matter, was misrepresented publicly as a 'dispute,' seized on by people looking for a good story, and has been distorted to such a degree that it risks distracting from the film itself, which Marvel, Universal and I refuse to let happen. It has always been my firm conviction that films should speak for themselves and that knowing too much about how they are made diminishes the magic of watching them. All of us believe The Incredible Hulk will excite old fans and create new ones and be a huge hit...our focus has always been to deliver the Hulk that people have been waiting for and keep the worldwide love affair with the big green guy going strong.''

New 'Hulk': behind-the-scenes drama | The Incredible Hulk (2008) | Movie News | Movies | Entertainment Weekly | 1

• Happy Memories

I've seen a lot of comments recently that they're heavily leaning towards Hulk being the villain of the Avengers film (something that has been done before in comics and animation). I believe it was the head of Marvel studios who recently said they might not even need the human form for such a story, just the big cgi green guy.

• Circle of Ancients

Well that would suck. I really liked Edwards portrayal of Banner, and the most recent Hulk movie. ALOT.

• Animation Domination

They might have Hulk as a villain, but I don't think he will be the only villain throughout the whole Avengers movie. Here are some real Avengers villains that they should use. I'm not saying use them all, but one or two.

Ultron
    Kang
    Collector
    Loki (unless they use him in Thor movie)
    Taskmaster

• MC State Comptroller

If Hulk is the villain of the Avengers movie, they still need a human to portray Bruce Banner. In all of the comics i've read with the Avengers Vs. Hulk, The Hulk eventually becomes Banner, either by self-control or by doping Hulk up.

Ultron would be the best villain for The Avengers movie, but only if they introduced Henry Pym (Ant-Man) since he created him.

Loki would be good, but he will be the villain in the Thor movie.

The best story to go with would be the original Avengers Assemble story in which they are brought together because Loki, tricks the Hulk with an illusion and Hulk goes on a rampage which Ant-Man, Wasp and Iron Man answer. Thor finding out Loki was behind it, helps out and that is the beginning of The Avengers.

If they wanted to modernize it up a little and tie it to middle east/asian troubles they could go with an updated Barron Zemo.

What is going to be interesting is seeing who they cast in the Thor and Captain America pics.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Iron Man 2':
    How Terrence Howard Lost His Metal

Marvel's decision to recast the role of Col. Jim Rhodes said to be a combination of salary issues and concern about the performance

HOWARD'S END Robert Downey Jr. and the actor in Iron Man
    Zade Rosenthal

By Nicole Sperling
    ew.com

When a summer blockbuster grosses more than $300 million, putting together a sequel is typically as simple as throwing buckets of money at your stars and signing a few pieces of paper. That hasn't been the case with Iron Man 2. It took months for Marvel Studios to lock in director Jon Favreau for the sequel. And reports that Don Cheadle will replace terrence Howard as Col. Jim Rhodes — a supporting character who seemed poised for a big role in the follow-up after he muttered ''Next time, baby'' to Iron Man's steel suit — hint that IM2 isn't quite as infallible as the superhero at its center.

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')

As such, when Favreau and screenwriter Justin Theroux went to map out the sequel they found themselves minimizing Howard's story line. Once Marvel learned that Favreau was thinking of curtailing the role, the studio went to the actor's agents with a new and drastically reduced offer — a number that's similar to what supporting cast members were paid for the first movie. The agents, according to sources, were so taken aback by this new figure — estimated at somewhere between a 50 and 80 percent pay cut — that they questioned it. Why did they blanch? Multiple sources say that Marvel execs never told Howard's reps that they had issues with the star's on-set conduct. (Marvel would not comment for this story.)

It's unclear whether Howard's team walked away first, or if Marvel ended the discussion at that point. Either way, the studio moved quickly to secure Cheadle and the story leaked out the next morning, Oct. 14. And alas for Howard, there will be no next time.
    'Iron Man 2': Why Terrence Howard was recast | Iron Man | Movie News | Movies | Entertainment Weekly

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Posted: Wed., Jan. 7, 2009, 2:45pm PT

Mickey Rourke sizes up 'Iron Man 2'

Actor may play Russian villain in Marvel sequel

Rourke

'Iron Man'
    By Michael Fleming, Marc Graser
    Variety

In what would mark his first studio film since resurrecting his career with "The Wrestler," Mickey Rourke is in talks to play the main heavy in "Iron Man 2," the Marvel Entertainment sequel that director Jon Favreau begins shooting this spring.

Sam Rockwell also has begun talks to play a villain in the pic, to be distribbed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2010.

Which role Rockwell will play has yet to be disclosed by Marvel, but Rourke is in discussions to play the Crimson Dynamo, a heavily tattooed Russian arms dealer. He's considered to be an evil version of Iron Man because he battles the superhero in a nuclear-powered suit of armor.

Script is still being written by Justin Theroux, and Marvel has been trying to keep a wrap on details leaking out to fanboys.

Rourke goes into the Golden Globes weekend vying for best actor in a role that revived his career. Robert Downey Jr. soared to become one of the most bankable stars in Hollywood when "Iron Man" grossed more than $600 million worldwide.
    Mickey Rourke sizes up 'Iron Man 2' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

• Disappearing/Reappearing

ICK. I just don't like the sound of that.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast