• DCA FTW!

Question El Capitan Theatre and Wall-E

Is Watching Disney Movies at El Capitan worth the price of admission?

Thinking about taking my nephews to go see it and was wondering if it's better to see it there or just a regular Theatre?
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Re: El Capitan Theatre and Wall-E

I think so, but it depends on the offerings to me.
    I've seen a few movies there and usually I base it on which movie and the props or characters or whatever is being offered.
    I'm not sure what the sitch w/ Wall E is. I know the thing I got in my e-mail said something about an all new stage show but I dunno

I think that it defently is. I love the El Capitan. Much better than seeing movies at any ol' theater. I always drive out from Anaheim to catch movies there, and that can take a LONG time some times with traffic.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I'll mention, when you do eventually see a movie there, you will always wish you had seen other movies there, too! I saw two of the Pirates movies in that theater, and they had special "introductions" for both of them, special lighting effects on the curtains, cannons firing from the balacony, and it's themed to whatever the movie is about.

They have a phenomenal old organ, and an organist who has won a national award, at least once. The pipes for that organ are incredible. And they decorate the organ with something, oftentimes a huge floral display. But for the 2nd Pirate movie, they decked it out like Davy Jones organ! There is always and organ preshow, where he plays various Disney songs, like you have never heard before! So definitely line up in advance of your show time, so that you can enjoy as much of the organ as possible.

For live action movies, they either have a display in the basement of some of the props and costumes from the movie, or in some cases, they will even set up a Gigantic tent in back of the El Capitan, and will have special meet and greet with Disney characters, various activites, games, actual sets from the movie, (they just did this for Enchanted, and I did get a chance to see it for when the Haunted Mansion movie was released. HM movie wasn't all that, but the tent experience was amazing!)

Of course, the El Capitan is truely one of Hollywoods most historic theaters! As you pass the Ticket booths, take a look at all the ornate decorations in the covered entry area. You'll pass throught the lobby area to get popcorn/soda, but get into the theater as soon as you can. The entire theater is so ornately decorated, make special not of the balconies and ceiling! Disney had this theater completely refurbish several years ago, purchased in 1989 and re-opened in 1991. It is one of Hollywood's treasures.

For me, the type of special entertainment they have makes a difference whether or not it's worth to see a particular movie there.

For Prince Caspian, they will have the theater decked out, and they will have some of the props/costumes on display in the basement. Sometimes, prior to the movie they will have one of the characters available for pictures, not sure if they will for this movie. Click on the link above to get to the El Capitan Page, then click on the Prince Caspian Banner on the right side, to get a glimpse of how the theater will be decorated.

I don't see any announcements on what the special extras will be for Wall-E.

And when you do make it to the El Capitan, be sure to stop by the Disney Soda Fountain and Store right next door. In the entry door to the Soda Fountain, is Disneyland's Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame ~ the first ever star for something other than a person or groupl also, there are a few other Disney Related stars in front of the Soda Fountain/El Capitan and Jimmy Kimmel Theater.

When I was there at the end of March, they were showing College Road Trip, not a movie that appealed to me at all, and so I passed on that. But If it's a movie you want to see, it really is worth the extra bucks to see it here. And it's definitley worthwhile to keep your eyes opening for any special screening that may be showing in the theater. Oftentimes on opening night, they will have a panel discussion with some of Disney's Best, that are associated with that particular movie.

• DCA FTW!

Awesome! Thanks for the info. The V.I.P. pricing seems decent, I just may have to do the full featured El Capitan Experience for Wall E, but after seeing the ad on the their main page gonna have to check it out for Prince Caspian too.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.