BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Sleeping Beauty' enlivened by Blu-ray interactivity

Blu-ray interactivity enlivens
    'Sleeping Beauty'

Updated 5h 45m ago

By Thomas K. Arnold
    Special for USA TODAY
    May 13, 2008

Disney wants to awaken sales of the Blu-ray Disc format, and the studio knows it'll take more than a kiss to get the job done. In October, Disney will release its first animated classic on the high-definition video format, Sleeping Beauty, with high-tech viewing options not possible with DVD.

Using a new technology known as BD Live — which connects to the Internet — viewers will pop in the disc and get a customized version of the famed castle that serves as a backdrop for the menu. The sky will reflect weather conditions in the viewer's hometown.

Once viewers begin watching, they'll be able to chat with friends right on the movie screen, using a laptop, BlackBerry or other PDA, through Disney's protected network. They'll be able to insert customized video messages anywhere in the movie and send them to friends or family members via a "movie mail" feature.

They'll be able to play trivia games with fellow viewers across the country. And when they're done, they can get a constant supply of new trailers, plus trade in "reward" points, collected by using many of these features, for ringtones and wallpaper.

Sleeping Beauty "will revolutionize the way people will interact with and view movies in the home," says Bob Chapek, president of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. "We pulled out all the stops in launching this technology."

The Blu-ray format could use a wake-up call. Despite competing format HD-DVD giving up the field in early February, sales of BD players fell 40% from January to February, and recouped only 2% of that loss in March, according to a report from market tracking firm The NPD Group. (Figures do not include sales of Sony's PS3 game system, which also plays BD video discs and is on the upswing.)

But there's a hitch: Current Blu-ray owners — except for those with PS3s — won't be able to access Sleeping Beauty's online features. BD Live is part of a revised Blu-ray Profile 2.0, which will start to appear on machines from Sony and Panasonic this summer. Players already bought can't be upgraded.
    At this point, Blu-ray accounts for about 5% of overall disc sales, according to Nielsen VideoScan. To really start the ball rolling, studios believe it'll take not just a clearer picture but a completely different and interactive experience.

That's the chief reason Disney is pushing the envelope with Sleeping Beauty, much as the studio pushed people to DVD in late 2001 with an innovative special edition of Snow White, which became the first disc to sell 1 million units in a single day.
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...-blu-ray_N.htm

Re: 'Sleeping Beauty' enlivened by Blu-ray interactivity

meh

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

It's too bad that the vast majority of Blu-Ray players out won't be able to use any of these features. I believe there is only one other besides the PS3 that are up to the final 2.0 profile.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

they just need to settle on a standard for a few years so everyone will buy the technology and make it cheaper.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Pathetically Obsessed

This news upsets me greatly. Although my BD player from Costco came with paperwork saying it can be upgraded, I'm not sure it will take the 2.0 format. I shelled out big bucks for that thing and I'll be very upset if the Sleeping Beauty format is the wave of the future and basically I'll be punished for being an early adopter. Burn the market and your format will die, folks.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Looks like there's only a couple on the immediate horizon that will be able to do the 2.0 format.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980672

Personally, I'm waiting for the Panasonic BD-50 which should be out soon.
    Mike

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    they just need to settle on a standard for a few years so everyone will buy the technology and make it cheaper.
    They settled on a standard, but never required the manufacturer's to abide by it.

Launch profile 1.0 - no on board storage, no ethernet - Basically, a hi-def dvd player with no extras.

Profile 1.1 Final - 256k onboard storage and secondary bideo on audio encoders. This adds picture in picture.

Profile 2.0 Live - 1GB onboard storage, ethernet capability. This is the one that adds all of the amazing features they keep touting. Better games, exclusive downloads and such.

Right now, the only player that is future proof is the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredByWalt View Post
    This news upsets me greatly. Although my BD player from Costco came with paperwork saying it can be upgraded, I'm not sure it will take the 2.0 format. I shelled out big bucks for that thing and I'll be very upset if the Sleeping Beauty format is the wave of the future and basically I'll be punished for being an early adopter. Burn the market and your format will die, folks.
    Yeah, sorry about that. Chances are slim that it will take 2.0 since there is only one other 2.0 player on the market and it is barely coming out.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Would someone tell me why there's a reason to buy any Blu-Ray player besides a PS3?

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gmaletic View Post
    Would someone tell me why there's a reason to buy any Blu-Ray player besides a PS3?
    I think it comes down to a lack of knowledge. People haven't been properly educated about the different profiles that are out there. Frankly, I find it amusing that Sony was the only one that came out with a profile 2.0 player from the get go. I would hate to be one of those people that spent hundreds of dollars on an outdated machine.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Banned User

Those special features really don't interest me much. Really, I just watch the movie. Maybe, I'll watch a little of the bonus content if I'm really interested. And that's it. You can do all with with any Blu-Ray player. The movie-email, the travia games live, the endless trailers...Honestly, I will never use any of this suff.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandtour View Post
    Those special features really don't interest me much. Really, I just watch the movie. Maybe, I'll watch a little of the bonus content if I'm really interested. And that's it. You can do all with with any Blu-Ray player. The movie-email, the travia games live, the endless trailers...Honestly, I will never use any of this suff.
    Me too. I rarely listen to director's commentaries, why would I want videos from friends interjected into a movie?

Adding interesting extras is fine, but leave the movie alone.

From the previews, Sleeping Beauty doesn't look any better in high-def to me anyway. Considering how good some of the clips of other Disney animated movies look in high-def (on the Enchanted Blu-ray), they could have chosen a better movie to show off the format, imo.

The customized menu sounds kind of cool, but hardly something that will entice people to upgrade their home theater systems to Blu-ray.

If you're a Disneyland fan...believe me, you'll want this disc. Can't reveal what I know, but there is an extra that will be amazingly interesting to you. (It shouldn't require access to the net, or anything like that...but it'll be included as an extra on the disc.)

If you're a Disneyland fan...believe me, you'll want this disc. Can't reveal what I know, but there is an extra that will be amazingly interesting to you. (It shouldn't require access to the net, or anything like that...but it'll be included as an extra on the disc.)
    If your trying to bait us with a Castle Walk through included on the disc. That's great, but hardly worth coughing up $30, for a movie that I have on DVD, VHS, and Laser Disc SE

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    From the previews, Sleeping Beauty doesn't look any better in high-def to me anyway. Considering how good some of the clips of other Disney animated movies look in high-def (on the Enchanted Blu-ray), they could have chosen a better movie to show off the format, imo.
    Well I'm not sure what the previews look like for Sleeping Beauty in HD, but I can't imagine the final product not looking stellar, as Sleeping Beauty is Disney's most artistic masterpiece ever. I think it was a wise choice for Disney to start the new trend with Sleeping Beauty because you can't get much better detail in a Disney film than you get with Sleeping Beauty. I know that's why Disney picked it.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    If your trying to bait us with a Castle Walk through included on the disc. That's great, but hardly worth coughing up $30, for a movie that I have on DVD, VHS, and Laser Disc SE
    Already owning the VHS and DVD, I'd definitely shell out 30 dollars for the Castle Walkthrough, but I'm an "ultimate fan." I was hoping it would be on the DVD, but it wasn't. Here's to hoping that they do it right this time. I want both the original and the re-do, and a preview of the upcoming one...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast