• 5 Stars - Great movie

10 25.00%
  • 4 Stars - Pretty good movie

20 50.00%
  • 3 Stars - Okay movie

7 17.50%
  • 2 Stars - It could have been better

3 7.50%
  • 1 Star - It was bad, they should have stopped after the first movie.

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (MiceChat Reviews)

I liked it, little slow in the beginning but liked it better than the first one.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Still lost in Neverland

I liked Prince Caspian even more than Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. They are both great, but the acting, effects and action was much better.

No, there are no more stories with all four children together, and I beleive that Dawn Treader is the last on for Edward and Lucy. From then on, it's other kids from different places and eras. But remember that Aslan told Susan and Peter that he would see them again. When you read how, you better have lots of Kleenex handy. That made me cry so hard it was like getting punched in the stomach.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Roller Coaster Aficionado

I liked the movie overall. I find that as far as the story is concerned I liked the first movie better, but if you want a movie with more action I think Prince Caspian beats out Lion, Witch, Wardrobe once you actually get to the action which isn't until about an hour into the movie. Anyway it gets a thumbs up from me.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I guess I'm in the minority. I gave it 2 stars in this poll, but in reality, I give it more like 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 stars. The high production value aside, it was just so-so and I didn't find any of it exciting for who knows why. I went in with low expectations too, even after liking the first one quite a lot. Watching this one, I just didn't care.

Mind you, I didn't read the books, so I'm just going off of the movie by itself. I enjoyed the first one infinitely more. Could have done without the song at the end too. And that one captain guy who went through the Vag Tree Portal... I'm pretty sure I saw his back get broken in the battle not too long prior. Funny how confusing bloodless war can get. But I didn't think it was too violent at all. I did find the birthy opening was a bit... not what I wanted to see first shot of the movie.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Could have done without the song at the end too. .
    Ain't that the truth. It was so out of place, bad choice.
    Mike

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Could have done without the song at the end too.
    Probably my one complaint about the movie. It just didn't make much sense to throw in the song.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

i went in to this movie wiht high expectations, and found myself let down. what i felt should have been a far better movie was only marginally better.

once again the movie tried to push cristain undertones on me. however that was in the book so i let that slid. however what i couldn't let slid is how unengaging the storie was. i just didn't find it all that interesting. even king meraz who i felt look like a really cool villan was only ok.

and the final battle...having the trees coming to life and attacking? yhea that was better the first time i saw it...in lord of the rings.

all in all i would not really recomend this movie
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I saw it today with my son, and it was pretty good. Not great, but not bad either.

The interpretation from book to screenplay for me was both good and bad. Now, I have only read half of the book so far, but if they were to take the book too literally, then this would have been one boring movie! Not that the book is boring -- on the contrary it is quite good. But at the halfway point there is hardly any action.

The book starts off in the train station, not much goes on, and then the kids are sucked into Narnia. It bothered me that in the movie they added the scene of Peter getting into a fight in the train station, because if Peter was supposed to be such a noble king, then why is he such a thug in London? And when asked why he got in the fight, I forget what he said, but he was such a jerk about it. I would think that Peter learned a lot in Narnia, especially because he ruled the place for 20 years, but apparently he's forgotten all about it in the real world. And Susan had quite the attitude too, didn't she? You think she would have been much more diplomatic with that boy trying to hit on her. This scene also was not in the book and did absoluetly nothing to acknowledge all that she must have learned in her years at Narnia.

And why did the Telmarines have Spanish accents? The book mentioned nothing of that. When I read the book, I pictured English accents.

Also the scene where Edmund jumps off of the castle turret, only to be catched by the griffin. I doubt if this is in the book, and if it isI would be surprised. Because it is a total ripoff from Aladdin.

And as far as the trees coming to life and attacking -- I haven't gotten that far into the book, but a great deal of the first half is spent describing how the Telmarines tried to destroy old Narnia with the talking animals and trees. So it is in keeping with the book. Being that The Chronicles Of Narnia and The Lord Of The Rings were written at about the same time, and that I think (though not for sure) that Tolkein and Lewis were freinds if at not at least acquaintences, then it should be no surprise that both authors used the concept of animated trees. And these are not the only stories to use animated trees -- The Wizard Of Oz is one that comes to mind.

In general, the movie was ok. I am still looking forward to Voyage Of The Dawn Treader. I just wonder how it will work without Peter and Susan.

• Minion

I had a mixed reaction. I liked parts of it, but overall, I felt it lacked the charm of the first movie.

After I saw the movie, I read the synopsis of the book. Apparently, in the book...

Spoiler
    ...Aslan is trying to lead the Pevensies to Caspian, when only Lucy can see him and the others don't believe her. The complication is that because they don't believe Lucy, they are unable to find and help Caspian.

In the movie, however, the Pevensies manage to find Caspian much sooner. The entire plot hinges on Lucy going to meet Aslan in a random spot in the woods for no apparent reason other than to test of her faith - she certainly doesn't do anything there other than talk to Aslan (by not going there sooner and proving her faith, other innocent creatures, who had nothing to do with her not going there, die). Once she does finally go there, Aslan just roars and before you can say "deus ex machina" the bad guys are defeated. This makes everything the Pevensies did prior to Lucy going to that random spot in the woods seem rather pointless. And why couldn't Aslan just go to his stone tablet, where everyone else was to begin with?

Religious allegory aside, I found that to be rather poor storytelling.

Then, there's this exchange:

Lucy: Why couldn't you just come roaring in and save us, like last time?

Aslan: Nothing ever happens the same way twice.

A) That's not an answer.

B) Except for a few details, everything does wind up happening the same way again. Aslan brings sleeping warriors back to life, and they rise up and defeat the bad guys.

For me, the most effective scene was the temptation of Caspian and Peter by the White Witch. Very unexpected, creepy and suspenseful. Tilda Swinton is great.

Eddy Izzard's Reepicheep was very funny, though I wished he had interacted with our main heroes a bit more.

Another surprise was how I found former-traitor Edmund to be the most likable Pevensie in this film. I liked his exchange with Miraz about his title. "It's King, actually. Just king...Peter is High King. It's confusing, I know..."

I also thought that the raid of Miraz's castle by the Narnians looked awesome, even though it was already a foregone conclusion that it would go poorly, since Lucy didn't approve of it.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWizard View Post
    Prince Caspian was really good, but I liked The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe much better. It was still a great movie though, the visuals and effects were amazing, but it's disappointing that Miraz isn't as good of a villain as the White Witch was. I really hope they go through with filming and releasing Voyage of Dawn Treader, this is one of the best if not the best book in the series. It's just disappointing that Susan and Peter aren't part of that story. I haven't read the entire series, so I wonder, are there any more books after Voyage of Dawn Treader that feature all four children together?

I think in the last book all four of the children, all though they are grown up, are in the story.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    Eddy Izzard's Reepicheep was very funny, though I wished he had interacted with our main heroes a bit more.

You'll love the The Voyage of the Dawn Treader!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm pretty sure that Dawn Treader has just Edmund and Lucy, and a new character, a cousin of theirs, named Eustace.

And just be forwarned, there will be a scene involving a creature very similar to the Kraken. I don't know how they are going to pull it off without being compared to Pirates of the Carribean.

So there are some challenges in the next film...

• Shablagoo!

I was pretty underwhelmed with it. It just lacked something, I am not sure what. I blame the source material. It's been a while since I read the books. Still, I am looking forward to the next film.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Dawn Treader has just Edmund and Lucy, and a new character, a cousin of theirs, named Eustace.
    That is correct. Another new character, Jill Poll (or is it Pole), is introduced in book 4.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I really think that the Dawn Treader would be an amazing film. It has several aspects of POTC woven into the story with it being filmed at sea, arriving at the edge of the world, and all of the islands that they visit along the way. It might be costly, but I think the unique aspects of the film would bring a wider audience to see it. Caspian was almost a repeat of LW&W with another battle, a return appearance of the White Witch, etc, etc. I was wondering how they were going to stretch that story into a 90 minute plus film when there's actually not that much story to tell. Heck...you can read through the entire book in an hour or less. They ALMOST pulled it off, so kudos to the writers.

I'm just worried that Dawn Treader might never be made. I had no idea that Caspian was a 200 million dollar film before publicity costs. And it's already down to #5 this week. Disney might just pull the plug if more $$$ doesn't come in. Although...I also had no idea that Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe went on to make 744 million!! Even if Caspian tanks, they've already covered their butts with the earlier profits.

Here's a link with more info:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...8-526bfd978ecb
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 06-01-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast