View Poll Results: What did you think of the new Indy?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - It's like Indy never left

27 15.98%
  • 4 Stars - A little older, a little wiser, but still fun

76 44.97%
  • 3 Stars - It was okay, not the best Indy

49 28.99%
  • 2 Stars - Where's Sallah when you need him?

9 5.33%
  • 1 Star - The Last Crusade should have been his last crusade

8 4.73%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (MiceChat Reviews)

Shia LaBeouf isn't Speilberg's "New" discovery.

• Senior Minion

A big box-office does not a great film make.

I quite liked it overall but have a problem with people who are filled with venom over it or who wish to defend it to the death. It was a fun two hours that will not change my life in any way - in other words a pretty average movie.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    in other words a pretty average movie.
    I think if you take the amount of criticism vs the positives, average is definitely what it comes down to. It's math.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Seasick

50% of Micechat users have rated it 4/5 or greater. only 30% rate it as average. 78% of reviewers on rottentomatoes.com give it a positive review.

Flaws aside, this was a highly entertaining movies with amazing action pieces, some humour, characters we care about, and one of the best pieces of movie music of all time.

I wish this movie was average. If it were, I'd see more movies. Most of the garbage being released today is forgotten minutes after I've seen it.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

It was fun. I didn't go in expecting anything more.

What I expected was a good enjoyable way to go kill a couple hours with some buddies and popcorn. Spielberg even reminded people that it was 'just a movie' while it was in production.

The Mutt tarzan scene was a bit much, but I think the fire ants part more than made up for it. That was AWESOME.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

I saw the movie on the 23rd, and I really had a fun time watching it, and liked the movie. It reminded me of the older films, like the car chase scene, the creepy crawly critters, and the funny parts, which is pretty common in the older films. I may be the only one, but I really liked the idea of having aliens being the main focus of the story. If you look at Raiders, and Crusade, they have a common element that link the story to the time frame in real life which was the Nazis, and their interest in the supernatural. In this one, which takes place 19 years after Crusade, you have the Russians, and the worlds interest in U.F.O.'s. I liked the idea of having Marion Ravenwood return, and her telling Indy they have a son. I could go on, but I wont. I hope to see the movie again a few more times before it leaves the theatres. For those of you that have unanswered questions, like I did, I came across this while looking up information on the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/faq#.2.1.50 Enjoy!!!!!!

"I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

• Infinitized!

I'm going to go see it again sometime this week. This was the first midnight premier show I ever went to, so if I'm a little bit more awake during an earlier show, I think I'll be able to absorb it more. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

• That Guy

The hardest thing to believe was that Indy chose a beat-up Marion, over any number of attractive college coeds..... There isn't enough CGI to make that probable...

• Minion

^

Was glad to see Indy again but I really didn't like it.
    Spoiler
    Aliens? Shia swinging on vines? UFO's? lame

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

The truth is, Spielberg is just as cheeseball as Lucas is sometimes (snake surprise, chilled monkey brain, etc in temple of doom was all spielberg) and they both should be taking equal credit for the film. Lucas came up with the story and I don't think the story is that bad, it's the way it was written. It was the pacing. It was the second half of the film that became "Indiana Jones and the Hour of Exposition".

I love, love, love the dinner table scene in Temple of Doom and wouldn't call it cheeseball at all. It was great dark humor that played on people's fears of unusual cusine.

The cheeseball parts of KOTCS were completely pointless, and felt like they were in there only to please 5 year olds.

I think it is Spielberg's fault as much or more than it is Lucas' fault that this movie turned out bad. Spielberg worked with Koepp (the script writer). Plus why does Spielberg keep using Koepp, he is a horrible writer? The cinemeatography and lighting (way too bright) were horendous in this movie, and that is more Spielberg's fault than Lucas'. Plus the staging of scenes was sometimes horrible, which was also Spielberg's fault.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    I don't even understand where these high expectations come from. People might say "B-b-but it's INDIANA JONES," to which I reply (and not cynically mind you), "Yeah, 19 YEARS after the last one."
    Phantom Menace proved that a film series can be HUGE regardless of how long ago the previous movie came out. After that (even with an "averagly" reviewed film), expectations were very high, 19 years or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    a disappointment because it didn't reach the numbers a few websites predicted.
    First of all, there's a big difference between 'a disappointment' and not reaching expectations. As of yet, Indy 4 is not a disappointment (only time and WoM will tell that). It didn't reach expectations, but not just of a few websites, but of the film and fan community.

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    78% of reviewers on rottentomatoes.com give it a positive review.
    78% of critics, yes. But only 64% of users at RT gave it a positive review. BoxOfficeMojo users gave it a B, IMDb users gave it a 7.4 and Yahoo Users giving it a B-. All scores leading to "average" or "just slightly above average" reviews.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

OK, After reading more of the Making of Indiana Jones, i finally got to the portion about Crystal Skull. Yay!

I was quick to defend Lucas earlier, but I'm now wiping the egg off my face, but really... in the end, it does fall onto Spielberg too.

It was Lucas who would not let go of the concept of 50's Sci-Fi B-movie for Indiana Jones. He pitched it to Harrison Ford waaaay back in like 1993 after Ford told Lucas that he wanted to do another. Lucas told Ford that it was about aliens. Harrison said "NO" right away. Lucas pushed to give him a chance with it at least and Harrison agreed to have him talk to spielberg about it first.

Spielberg said no.

He's done E.T. He's done Close Encounters. He didn't want to do little green men in flying saucers. The first script that was completed in 1994 / 1995 was indeed called INDIANA JONES AND THE SAUCER-MEN FROM MARS.

Summer 1995, Indiana Jones Adventure opens at Disneyland.

1996. Independence Day was released. A very popular movie about... aliens. Spielberg really really said no at this point. Lucas says "Okay fine." and then goes onto make the Star Wars prequels.

Ford would also call Spielberg in the late 90s telling him that he's still interested in another Indy. Spielberg at this point has his hands full with other projects so nothing really happens.

In 2000ish, Harrison Ford receives his AFI lifetime achievement award. Everyone who's worked on Indy was there and they were all united once again. That's when they all talked about the possibility of another Indy and that's when reality really hit for Spielberg.

September 2001, Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull opens at Tokyo Disney Sea.

In early 2002, the agreement between Spielberg and Lucas has been settled. There will be no flying saucers, but there will be aliens. (we now see that Lucas got both).

The Crystal Skull storyline came from a Young Indiana Jones story that got put on the shelf. They had already done all the research for it so it was right there. Spielberg actually liked the concept of the Crystal Skulls.

May 27, 2003, Frank Darabont turns in his first draft of the screenplay with the title INDIANA JONES AND THE CITY OF THE GODS.

November 4, 2003, Frank turns in his third draft and Spielberg loved it and was hoping to shoot, but Lucas had some issues with it and reworked it.

2004, Lucas revised Darabont's script and called it INDIANA JONES AND THE PHANTOM CITY OF THE GODS.

November & December 2005, Jeff Nathanson (Catch Me if you can, The Terminal) comes in to write a few drafts. Third draft was named INDIANA JONES AND THE ATOMIC ANTS.

Then came David Koepp after that, who worked mostly with Spielberg on the scripts. George would tell Steven what he wanted and Steven would then tell David what Steven would want. Steven really had control of what to leave off the table.

So long story short, everything you don't like about Indy4, started with George, but funneled through Steven. It's kind of amazing the thing ever got made to be honest!

Get the book you guys. It's fascinating stuff.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    2004, Lucas revised Darabont's script and called it INDIANA JONES AND THE PHANTOM CITY OF THE GODS.
    I wonder why Lucas likes the word "Phantom" so much?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    The cinemeatography and lighting (way too bright) were horendous in this movie, and that is more Spielberg's fault than Lucas'. Plus the staging of scenes was sometimes horrible, which was also Spielberg's fault.
    Totally agree. The direction and cinematography were terrible in places. This was clearly Spielberg on auto-pilot.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Happy Memories

Overall an enjoyable time at the movies, however it loses points because I found myself nitpicking it to death on the ride home. Best I can give it is a B.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast