View Poll Results: What did you think of the new Indy?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - It's like Indy never left

27 15.98%
  • 4 Stars - A little older, a little wiser, but still fun

76 44.97%
  • 3 Stars - It was okay, not the best Indy

49 28.99%
  • 2 Stars - Where's Sallah when you need him?

9 5.33%
  • 1 Star - The Last Crusade should have been his last crusade

8 4.73%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (MiceChat Reviews)

oh, and I HAVE to share this....

we took our five year old with us....(after learning from Tracecub where we needed to hide her eyes)...and after the opening scene with Indy, she asked..."momma, THAT'S Indiana Jones?" I said yes and she said..."I thought he was younger!". hahahahahahaha. Guess he looked a little different from the Mgm show!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    My other thought:

Henry Jones III (Shia) nickname was Mutt.

Was this a nod to "Indiana" being named after the dog?

Precisely. Indiana was named after his dog and thus they felt was appropriate to keep on the tradition.

Shia, aka Mutt aka Henry Jones III is also a character that has had numerous father figures in his life. There was Colin Williams, his step father who died when he was very young. There was Professor Oxley. And now, there's Heny Jones the 2nd. Mutt is and will be a product of all those different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I agree with all you micers. My main thought was this:

after searching and searching for just the right script for another Indy movie...the BEST they could come up with was ....

Spoiler
    Indy vs. The Aliens?

Seriously?
    Unfortunately yes. Lucas was most adamant about this. It was aliens in a sci-fi 50's B-movie or nothing. But he ultimately convinced Steven and Harrison! But to his credit, he tried to find something as good as the ark or holy grail but couldn't think of anything.

Also, some of you may find this article of interest:
    http://www.alternet.org/story/86708/

Indiana Jones and the Fridge of Nuclear Doom
    By Michael Dudley, City States. Posted May 28, 2008.

The new Indiana Jones movie marks a new low in American cinema for its disturbingly casual use of nuclear weapons as a narrative device.

The newest Indiana Jones movie Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is generating a lot of derision for an early scene in which Jones finds himself in a mock-up of a 1950s subdivision populated with mannequins. He quickly realizes that this is a nuclear test site, and as a countdown echoes over a loudspeaker he seeks the only refuge he can: a refrigerator that turns out to be lined in lead. The blast hurls the fridge what appears to be several kilometers across the desert, where it crashes into the sizzling sand and tumbles repeatedly before coming to a steaming stop in front of a (CGI) gopher. Jones pushes the door open, and walks away with no apparent injury, watching as an enormous mushroom cloud rolls into the sky.

The scene is admittedly spectacular, and in its sunny evocation of all the requisite 50s suburban stereotypes in the shadow of a nuclear bomb tower (a mannequin family is seen watching Howdy Doody), rather creepy.

But Indy' survival of the nuclear blast has so strained the audience's otherwise willing suspension of disbelief that it has already generated a new buzz-phrase -- "Nuke the Fridge" as a successor to "Jump the Shark" -- meaning, that moment when a film series has gotten so ridiculous that it marks a new low in quality.

To show just how rapidly our culture can gorge on itself, the phrase has, in two short weeks taken on a life of its own. Nuke the Fridge has its own Wikipedia entry, a merchandising website, and FaceBook Page. There are also a number of creative YouTube videos mocking the sequence.

I too was annoyed by the scene, but not just for its extreme unbelievability. It marks a new low in American cinema for its disturbingly casual use of nuclear weapons as a narrative device.

Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have turned the most horrifying technology ever devised and made it into a minor plot juncture, as if it were just another fight scene. What is worse though, is that the set-up of the scene is so horrifying, so realistic and apocalyptic in its execution that its corny, jokey denouement (the aforementioned gopher stares at Indy and then jumps back into its hole) creates a jarring psychological rupture in the mind of the viewer.

I personally found the cognitive dissonance of the scene very disturbing, and it affected my experience of the rest of the film, which seemed akin to Alfred Hitchcock's -- very purposive -- early set up of Vertigo, in which Jimmy Stewart's character is suspended off a building with no hope of rescue, so that all subsequent action in the movie, too, is 'suspended' over an abyss.

In this case, I doubt very much that this was the intention. But intended or not, the "nuke the fridge" scene suggests a more serious psychological consequence for the viewer, owing not only to the dissonance it evokes, but to the particular juncture in history when this film was released.

The rhetoric coming from the governments of the United States and Israel threatening Iran with attack are getting more frequent and more bellicose. We are probably closer to seeing a nuclear war than at any time since the end of the Soviet Union. It has become so politically mainstream to threaten Iran with destruction that none of the major political candidates running for U.S. president have stated that nuclear weapons are 'off the table,' and John McCain went so far as to sing about it.

So to my mind Spielberg's and Lucas' narrative use of the Bomb is rather tone-deaf. While Crystal Skull isn't without its political commentary (it makes Indy the subject of a McCarthy-esque witch-hunt and has a character mutter, "I don't recognize this country anymore"), its attempt to bring the series into the 1950s fails, chiefly because of this sequence.

In the 1950s, the specter of nuclear destruction was so recent, so possible and so widely feared that it could not be treated this casually at the movies. In fact, a filmed depiction of nuclear destruction this realistic (minus the fridge, of course) would probably have panicked an audience in 1957 and retained a chilling reputation for decades. Yet 50 years on, it's little more than an inconvenience for Indiana Jones.

While nobody is going to be going out to buy lead-lined refrigerators after seeing the movie, I do worry that, like the actual nuclear tests of the 1950s, Crystal Skull will serve to desensitize audiences to nuclear war, normalizing atomic destruction at an historical moment when we should be most aroused against it.

Michael Dudley is a Research Associate at the Institute of Urban Studies at the University of Winnipeg. He teaches city history, environmental psychology and urban sustainability.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

we took our five year old with us....(after learning from Tracecub where we needed to hide her eyes)...and after the opening scene with Indy, she asked..."momma, THAT'S Indiana Jones?" I said yes and she said..."I thought he was younger!". hahahahahahaha. Guess he looked a little different from the Mgm show!
    So you decided to take her? How did she react to the film in general? I did have concerns about certain scenes (the ants in particular) and the long lengths of actionless exposition.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Celtic Rockin' Irishman

Apparently monkey's are capitalists, lol.
    The greatest poet of our time... may the bottle never stop flowing

Fare thee well, gone away, there's nothing left to say
    With a Slainte Joe and Erin Go
    My love's in Amerikay
    The calling of the rosary, Spanish wine from far away
    I'm a free born man of the USA

I'm not singing about the future
    I'm not dreaming of the past
    I'm not talking of the first time
    I never think about the last
    SHANE MACGOWAN

Éireann go Brách
    (Ireland Forever)

Right proudly high over Dublin Town they hung out the flag of war
    'Twas better to die 'neath an Irish sky than at Sulva or Sud El Bar
    And from the plains of Royal Meath strong men came hurrying through
    While Britannia's Huns, with their long range guns sailed in through the foggy dew

• Minion

The fridge is an internet sensation. What's funny (and kind of sad) is that in 20 years, people will always remember the boulder from Raiders, the heart ripping scene from Temple of Doom, and Connery from Last Crusade, but the first thing they will think about when they hear the words Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is 'nuking the fridge.'

• is satisfactual.

I find it so annoying how everything becomes an "Internet sensation" nowadays. It seems people are so desperate for water cooler material that anything even remotely outlandish gets, via YouTube, Wikipedia and Comedy Central, the status of something actually relevant and interesting.

Something that two decades ago would have been a mere blip on our radars -- Miss Teen America being an idiot on national TV, an inane movie with one funny line about snakes on an airplane -- is now "sensational" simply because people who have nothing better to do can swarm to Wikipedia and decide that no matter what anyone says, they have experienced something interesting; a cultural milestone even. Sure, it didn't involve leaving the house, but according to Wikipedia, it's a sensation!

That freaking fridge scene is hardly anthropologically interesting, nor is it the worst moment of a cinematic decade, nor is it worthy of a 100-page entry on Urban Dictionary. Let's pretend to have lives and move on.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 05-29-2008 at 05:41 PM.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    So you decided to take her? How did she react to the film in general? I did have concerns about certain scenes (the ants in particular) and the long lengths of actionless exposition.
    she did fine. I was a little concerned after hearing everyone's opinion....but, she was begging to go with us...and she knows who he is (from MGM)....so, I thought long and hard about it. After you told me specifically what you were concerned about....and after Tracecub explained the scenes more...I figured we could catch them in time and cover her eyes. She really enjoyed the movie. We caught the scenes just in time...esp the ant one..she's terrified of ants! (thank ya'll for telling me!!!!!) And I even covered her eyes when the lady blows up at the end. She LOVED the monkeys...and the sword fight...and she thought the skull was cool.

So, thank ya'll for your input...I REALLY appreciated it. She enjoyed her first "adult" movie......it'll be a while before she sees another one. Indy movies are pretty tame, though...so, we felt safe taking her one. Ya'll input really eased my conscience and saved us from ant nightmares!!!! Thanks again!

• Rock Star Minion

Meh. Nightmares are the product of an active imagination. I'd rather have a kid that has them than one that doesn't. (As long as they're not the result of physical trauma, of course. Movies? Bring 'em on!)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    The fridge is an internet sensation. What's funny (and kind of sad) is that in 20 years, people will always remember the boulder from Raiders, the heart ripping scene from Temple of Doom, and Connery from Last Crusade, but the first thing they will think about when they hear the words Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is 'nuking the fridge.'
    Such a sensation that the wiki entry is no longer there.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Dave

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (MiceChat Reviews)

Love it. My Daughter said he looks older than you. I'm 37.
    Dave

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I find it so annoying how everything becomes an "Internet sensation" nowadays. It seems people are so desperate for water cooler material that anything even remotely outlandish gets.....
    Remotely outlandish? A bear drinking Gatorade is remotely outlandish. A man surviving a nuclear bomb by staying in a refrigerator that is flung hundreds of yards is fully outlandish in my book.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Remotely outlandish? A bear drinking Gatorade is remotely outlandish. A man surviving a nuclear bomb by staying in a refrigerator that is flung hundreds of yards is fully outlandish in my book.
    Yes. Perhaps if it had actually happened. You might as well start a controversy over a scene in which a picnic basket-stealing bear is seen speaking English. And have you seen these Harry Potter movies? Flying broomsticks, come on.

• Infinitized!

So I saw it a second time yesterday and I enjoyed it even more. Funny, the Tarzan scene seemed shorter the second time around. I have to say that the worst use of CGI in there is the gophers. Anybody know when it will be hitting DVD? Since this is an earlier summer release my guess is in October.

Nuke the Fridge!!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    I still have yet to see anyone come up with counter examples for why this is so outlandish. There are some RIDICULOUSLY unbelievable stories of survival that I've been touting in threads like this (flight attendant surviving a plane that EXPLODED at 30k feet in the air by staying in the wreckage of the plane as it hit the ground, man surviving a 10k foot fall without a parachute and then WALKING away). The radiation is covered by the lead (for the most part...suppose you could chalk the rest up to the Grail's powers). I don't know enough about the heat.

The thing to remember that is the most important about the entire thing is that the nuclear test was not a direct strike on the little prop town. That's important because if it was a DIRECT strike, it would be outlandish.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to walk away. He barely fit in the darn thing, which means that he isn't doing a lot of bouncing around and the fridge itself would be taking most of the impact.

I hate to bring up examples from what many consider to be the worst Indy movie of all 4, but if you can buy the life raft saving them from the fall, this isn't any worse. Even if not, I'd at least like some reasoned counters to the same thing I've been saying on the subject for the last...forever.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Yes. Perhaps if it had actually happened. You might as well start a controversy over a scene in which a picnic basket-stealing bear is seen speaking English.
    I believe the word is "pic-a-nic."