View Poll Results: What did you think of the new Indy?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - It's like Indy never left

27 15.98%
  • 4 Stars - A little older, a little wiser, but still fun

76 44.97%
  • 3 Stars - It was okay, not the best Indy

49 28.99%
  • 2 Stars - Where's Sallah when you need him?

9 5.33%
  • 1 Star - The Last Crusade should have been his last crusade

8 4.73%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (MiceChat Reviews)

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I believe the word is "pic-a-nic."
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I believe the word is "pic-a-nic."
    Go easy on the post. I think they made a boo-boo.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Yes. Perhaps if it had actually happened. You might as well start a controversy over a scene in which a picnic basket-stealing bear is seen speaking English. And have you seen these Harry Potter movies? Flying broomsticks, come on.

I have seen the Harry Potter movies. And it's all magic and witchcraft. Duh!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'll go see this movie if only for Shia Lebeouf.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Banned User

Stitch's Verdict on Indiana Jones: Eh. Very Eh. I didn't like Shia's character that much, and I miss Sallah.

• Minion

Such a sensation that the wiki entry is no longer there.
    It will return, I gurantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Yes. Perhaps if it had actually happened. You might as well start a controversy over a scene in which a picnic basket-stealing bear is seen speaking English. And have you seen these Harry Potter movies? Flying broomsticks, come on.
    Yogi Bear is a cartoon and Harry Potter is set in a land (Hogwarts) where witch craft and magic are common.

Indiana Jones movies remained somewhat plausible in the original trilogy. The raft scene isn't that far fetched for a movie. A fridge (with Indy inside) flying through the air after a nuclear explosion isn't only far fetched, it also looks extremely goofy. Plus, it makes Indy look invincible. Part of Indy's appeal is his vulnerability, he isn't Superman. How are we suppose to fear for his life after the fridge scene?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    It will return, I gurantee it.

Yogi Bear is a cartoon and Harry Potter is set in a land (Hogwarts) where witch craft and magic are common.

Indiana Jones movies remained somewhat plausible in the original trilogy. The raft scene isn't that far fetched for a movie. A fridge (with Indy inside) flying through the air after a nuclear explosion isn't only far fetched, it also looks extremely goofy. Plus, it makes Indy look invincible. Part of Indy's appeal is his vulnerability, he isn't Superman. How are we suppose to fear for his life after the fridge scene?
    Re Yogi and Potter: Doesn't anyone recognise sarcasm??

And there were plenty of implausible happenings in the original trilogy - resurrection, voodoo, ghosts, immortality but to name a few. The difference is that the original trilogy was handled with a lightness of touch that escaped the fourth installment. Plus, we are a lot more cynical now and will accept a lot less at face value.

I enjoyed the fridge scene. It made me laugh and was completely unpredictable - an unusual occurance in today's blockbusters. Now the Tarzan sequence on the other hand...
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    And there were plenty of implausible happenings in the original trilogy - resurrection, voodoo, ghosts, immortality but to name a few. The difference is that the original trilogy was handled with a lightness of touch that escaped the fourth installment. Plus, we are a lot more cynical now and will accept a lot less at face value.
    I think the difference here is that what you listed: resurrection, black magic, voodoo, ghosts, immortality, wrath of god, etc... those are all unexplainable. I would throw aliens or flying saucers from another dimension into that category as well.

Nuking a fridge on the other hand... that's something very real and explainable. Can a man survive? MAYBE. It's real borderline. INCREDIBLY THIN border. But it would be a miracle and I don't think that man would be able to get up as fast as he did.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think the difference here is that what you listed: resurrection, black magic, voodoo, ghosts, immortality, wrath of god, etc... those are all unexplainable. I would throw aliens or flying saucers from another dimension into that category as well.

Nuking a fridge on the other hand... that's something very real and explainable. Can a man survive? MAYBE. It's real borderline. INCREDIBLY THIN border. But it would be a miracle and I don't think that man would be able to get up as fast as he did.
    He pretty much is invincible. The "kneel!" scene and the exploding catacombs in the Last Crusade, the plane crash in The Temple of Doom... And no one would have actually survived all those ancient traps in those temples and tombs. Yet somehow, we swallow it from the first three films.

I enjoyed the fridge scene. It made me laugh and was completely unpredictable - an unusual occurance in today's blockbusters. Now the Tarzan sequence on the other hand...
    Yes, we're more cynical, more nitpicky, and we have all these great forums to complain on.

I too enjoyed the scene a lot. It reminded me (for some reason) of the scene in Kill Bill 2 in which Uma Thurman survives being buried alive. I think that was the last time I was so simultaneously nervous and entertained inside a movie theater (although the Indy scene wraps up a little more quickly). Both scenes are ridiculous, but in a good way.

As for the lightness of touch... Maybe you're right. I suppose viewing all four films on DVD will allow for a proper comparison in a couple of months. Hopefully not in one sitting, though.

• Minion

All that stuff you listed such as voodoo and ghosts are not only freaking awesome, they also fall into the category of the supernatural, which is allowed to happen in Indy's world. The fridge scene is not only the complete opposite of freaking awesome, it also isn't allow in Indy's world because it defies all logic, and cannot be explained through the supernatural. IMO logic is defied, when the only thing that survives a nuclear explosion is one fridge which happens to have Indy inside.

• is satisfactual.

All that stuff you listed such as voodoo and ghosts are not only freaking awesome, they also fall into the category of the supernatural, which is allowed to happen in Indy's world. The fridge scene is not only the complete opposite of freaking awesome, it also isn't allow in Indy's world because it defies all logic, and cannot be explained through the supernatural. IMO logic is defied, when the only thing that survives a nuclear explosion is one fridge which happens to have Indy inside.
    Again, there are dozens of moments in the first three films that should have killed Indy and were not supernatural.

This so reminds of the DL forum... Anything built before 1970 is untouchable, but whatever WDI is doing now must survive the Endless Hall of Scrutiny and make it through the Immersive Passage of Coherent Theming, before finally dodging the Blades of Sarcasm.

• Senior Minion

Can I ask who wote the list of what can and can't happen in an Indy movie? I have seen no such document and if it was written it would surely have been by the hand of Mr Lucas who probably agreed whole-heartedly with the fridge scene.
    I really cannot understand why the supernatural and aliens are 'explainable' and yet someone surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge (and it was the only bit of debris that we saw survive as opposed to the only piece that did survive) is ludicrous. Stranger things happen every day - just read a freakin' newspaper!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Seasick

Can I ask who wote the list of what can and can't happen in an Indy movie? I have seen no such document and if it was written it would surely have been by the hand of Mr Lucas who probably agreed whole-heartedly with the fridge scene.
    I really cannot understand why the supernatural and aliens are 'explainable' and yet someone surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge (and it was the only bit of debris that we saw survive as opposed to the only piece that did survive) is ludicrous. Stranger things happen every day - just read a freakin' newspaper!
    Aliens and supernatural occurances are fantasy. Kind of like the character of Superman is unrealistic, but we can accept a man flying in a movie as being fantasy. Undead pirates that appear as skeletons in the moonlight are not realistic, but we accept them in POTC as a fantasy element.

The Indiana Jones movies are filled with fantasy elements, that one can accept for what they are. However, amidst all those fantastical elements, Indiana Jones is still a human character, and for the movie to be believable he must be treated as a human character.

A 65 year-old man being flung across the dessert in a little metal box, and then walking out of it as if it were nothing, is extremely unrealistic, even if people have on occasion, in real-life, survived occurances against all odds.

For me, that's why I can accept an Ark that melts people's faces, but feel removed from the movie when Indy survives a trip in a fridge following a nuclear blast. Both occurances are unrealistic, but one is fantasy, and one is just ridiculous.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Senior Minion

Let me remind everyone of a sequence in Temple of Doom. It involved Indy stopping a brake-less minecar from over-shooting the track by using his feet as brake pads. After this, he hops around with smoke billowing from his shoes ala Wile E Coyote. In all of the movies, he is beaten up by bad guys that would have challenged Popeye and walked away with little more than a trickle of blood on his lip. In Raiders he beats up a couple of guards and adopts their outfits with a speed that would put Bugs Bunny's quick-changes to shame.
    All of these films are all fantasy. The central character can still be believable while managing to do extraordinary things. As pussnboots said, he seems invincible. And that's because he is! He is a fictional character just like James Bond (and think of all of his ludicrous escapes from death!).
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Let me remind everyone of a sequence in Temple of Doom. It involved Indy stopping a brake-less minecar from over-shooting the track by using his feet as brake pads. After this, he hops around with smoke billowing from his shoes ala Wile E Coyote. In all of the movies, he is beaten up by bad guys that would have challenged Popeye and walked away with little more than a trickle of blood on his lip. In Raiders he beats up a couple of guards and adopts their outfits with a speed that would put Bugs Bunny's quick-changes to shame.
    All of these films are all fantasy. The central character can still be believable while managing to do extraordinary things. As pussnboots said, he seems invincible. And that's because he is! He is a fictional character just like James Bond (and think of all of his ludicrous escapes from death!).
    Exactly. And it's allowed to be ludicrous. Yes, the audience's suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far, but unless Indy 5 shows our khaki-loving hero falling from a cliff, standing up as a flattened version of himself and blowing himself back up through his thumb, I think we're safe.

(Another example, by the way, is the excellent timing and windows of opportunity the ancient traps always seem to provide him. Change a single circumstance -- the loud and boisterous lady from Temple of Doom isn't there to pull the trigger that reverses the lowering ceiling, the crumbling hallway starts to collapse near the exit instead of toward it -- and he's another skeleton hanging from a spike in the wall. And have you ever wondered who those ancient people were who put all those ingenious traps in place, and made them move just slowly enough to escape from? From the very first scene of Raiders, it's been wonderfully far-fetched.)
    Last edited by pussnboots; 05-31-2008 at 02:15 PM.