View Poll Results: What did you think of the new Indy?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - It's like Indy never left

27 15.98%
  • 4 Stars - A little older, a little wiser, but still fun

76 44.97%
  • 3 Stars - It was okay, not the best Indy

49 28.99%
  • 2 Stars - Where's Sallah when you need him?

9 5.33%
  • 1 Star - The Last Crusade should have been his last crusade

8 4.73%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Wonderful World

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (MiceChat Reviews)

well I guess I'm going to give it the first bad review. I am a HUGE fan of the Indy movies and this one sucked. I came out extremely disappointed. It wasn't really an Indy movie. The Last Crusade should have been the last movie. They completely steered away from the other Indiana movies. Shia was horrible. It turned out to be a Sci-fi flick. If it took them that long to make that script thats amazing.
    The ride at Disneyland had a better story than the movie. I'd give it 2 stars just for pity
    I'm back MiceChat

• Disneyland PAP

I gave it a 4.

Just got home after watching the 12:15a show. My friends and I liked it, but it didn't knock our socks off. I'll go see it again with other friends, and I expect (or hope) I'll enjoy it more now that I don't have any expectations distracting me. It's a fun popcorn flick, but like the general buzz in the media's been saying, it's not the best of the bunch. For me, that's still Raiders. This one was almost as fun as The Last Crusade, very close to it.

• Imagine If.

First off let me say Im a huge Indiana Jones fan. Secondly I don't consider myself that critical considering Im a film major. But imop, I think the movie was at best considered to be entertaining. I would have to agree with Barbossa, giving it a 3 or 4.

But this is my overall opinion:

Spoiler

I think they went way overboard with the CGI in the movie, making it very similar to the problems with the first three episodes of Star Wars. Im sorry but the I think the backbone of a good movie is the story/plot and this movie just did not have it. They blow the story of the crystal skulls out of proportion and make it way too "hollywood" for my taste (you can check out the story behind the real crystal skulls on wikipedia). There is also two other things that bugged me being an Indy fan, his whip was used I believe only in two secenes throughout the film and John Williams brilliant music was hardly played. I found myself wondering if Marcos or Sal was ever going to show up but no avail (because I knew in advance that Sean Connery was retired from acting and said if one movie would bring him back it was Indy, sadly he did not return). I had a few other problems with them but some are mentioned already and I feel as if I am bashing Indy. All in all it was entertaining and it had many scenes in which they tie into previous Indy films, but still I would place this third out of the Indy films.
    My order of Indy films:
    Last Crusade
    Lost Ark
    Crystal Skull
    Temple

• Clearing my Calendar

I loved it! I can't really say too much without repeating what others have said, but I really enjoyed this film!

My only real complaint is:

Quote Originally Posted by painted windows View Post
    If it took them that long to make that script thats amazing.
    Yeah. 20 years of squabbling for a storyline everyone predicted? Yeah - worth the wait guys.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• I'm not really here

We saw the midnight showing as well. It was a lot of fun to see Indy on the big screen for the first time. Quite a few in our theater dressed up as Indy characters (got a picture of a really good Henry Jones Sr.).

I too kinda felt that the CGI was a bit over done, though for the most part they kept it reigned in with only a few instances of real obviousness.

We loved that there were some really great one-liners in this one, moreso it felt than previous Indy films.

The opening sequence was a beautiful nod to a past film.
    Spoiler
    I wonder if there is anything cool/humorous written on any of the crates you pass throughout that scene.

As to story content:
    Spoiler
    At first, I felt kind of cheated by the distinctly SciFi direction the film took as well. After a night of thinking about it, I think it works, though I still think this could have been done better.

In the 20s you had Carnarvon's death after the opening of Tutankhamun's tomb, and all the mythos of cursed mummies and boobie-trapped temples, etc. The movies about Indy in this era (20s/30s) reflects this. Temples with elaborate booby traps and a cult using the mystical powers of stones.

In the late 40s early 50s the world has just come out of WWII and the space race is beginning. In 47 you have the Roswell incident that created a whole new public mythos. There are actually a number of real Crystal Skulls that have been found (one even tested at Hewlett-Packards crystalography labs) since the late 1800's. They are linked, in some peoples minds, to the Mayan and alien visitors, though there is zero actual scientific evidence of this. There is plenty of evidence that they were machined though.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the writers took actual artifacts from the real-world and the supposed history behind them and put them into an Indy movie that takes place right at the beginning of the worlds race to space, when questions about aliens and science-fiction filtered through our culture to a very large degree.

I think the main reason that the whole alien thing feels so ridiculous is because of how our culture has treated alien/ufo rumors for the past 60 years. People that believe in them are widely ridiculed and the idea is popularly thought of as preposterous. But is it really any more strange than angels/ghosts coming from the ark and melting the flesh from a person? Or than a cultist leader reaching into a mans chest and pulling his heart out, leaving him still alive?

So, overall, while I think it could definitely have been executed better in places, I enjoyed this one and will see it again. I will definitely own it. I'm glad to see that Harrison Ford has still got it to be an action hero. A good solid 4 stars from me.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Circle of Ancients

Thanks for the reviews everybody, and for keeping them in spoilers (which I haven't read most of them).

We are seeing it on Saturday, can't wait.

• Lycanthropic Tendencies

hey how do u guys do that spoiler thing? i mean how do u make it so u can't read it unless u scroll it?
    "Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop to take a look around once in a while you could miss it."

Lucas

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    and for keeping them in spoilers (which I haven't read most of them).
    No problem, I just can't believe he died at the end.

Ah ****.

What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by american_werewolf View Post
    hey how do u guys do that spoiler thing? i mean how do u make it so u can't read it unless u scroll it?
    [Spoiler] Text [/spoiler]
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by american_werewolf View Post
    You can also use the Spoiler Box.

Just type your text, highlight it then click the box shown below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

• Rides against injustice

I went to see the midnte showing last night. I liked it, but I didnt love it.
    Spoiler
    I was diggin the movie until the last 10 mins when they went really heavy with the alien stuff and showing the UFO. My favorite line from the movie: You fight like young man. Eager to start and quick to finish. Too funny. Back to the aliens, i guess it couldve been worse. I read that Lucas' original title for the movie on the first draft was "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• www.JonAutopsy.com

Seeing right after work, today. I can't wait
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Senior Minion

Spoiler
    This film suffers from 19 years of anticipation and the legacy of a much loved franchise.
    Go expecting the earth to move and angels to weep with joy at the second coming and you may be disappointed. Go for a enjoyably fun night out and you may find yourself being swept up with it all.
    In the intervening 19 years, we have seen many Indy wannabe movies, most recently National Treasure 2 (which unfortunately beat this movie to some ideas) but fans will revel in being back in the presence of the Man in the Hat (TM).
    Ford performs well and shows no sign of getting too old for this.... The rest of the cast also impress although this is Indy's movie first and formost which mean some characters are left as lightly sketched.
    The plot (and McGuffin) is no sillier than those of the first three movies although certain scenes do need a fair stretch disbelief.
    The set-pieces including the protracted opening are good but nothing really stands out apart from the jungle car chase (surprisingly flat ground that jungle has!) and a scene to rival the snakes of the first movie or the bugs of the second movie (which lends itself more to '70s movies than those of the '50s that the rest of this film homages).
    The main problems are that the whole thing looks like its been shot on a soundstage and some of the sets could quite easily pass as something out of Scooby-Doo. Also, the final 10 minutes let everything that's gone before down terribly. Some ropey CGI didn't help and a 'Tarzan-style' scene may have you spitting your popcorn out in disbelief!

Entertaining but not what the fans were drooling over.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

All I shall say is Meh!

(with the addition comments eventually)

• Atomic Audioanimatronic

Unfortunately, I don't have time for a full review... but I hated, hated, hated this movie. I love Indiana Jones, but found this movie absolutely charmless, lifeless, and devoid of any fun whatsoever. I was more disappointed than with the new Star Wars movies, and even more disappointed that I felt suckered into it again. Uncle Lucas, you've molested my childhood once again... Last Crusade absolutely should have been the last film.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast