View Poll Results: What did you think of the new Indy?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - It's like Indy never left

27 15.98%
  • 4 Stars - A little older, a little wiser, but still fun

76 44.97%
  • 3 Stars - It was okay, not the best Indy

49 28.99%
  • 2 Stars - Where's Sallah when you need him?

9 5.33%
  • 1 Star - The Last Crusade should have been his last crusade

8 4.73%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (MiceChat Reviews)

After seeing the film again (yes, twice in one day) I do have some more questions.

Spoiler
    We never get a real answer as to why the aliens are there. For most of the film it is leaning at the "Aliens taught early humans" angle. Then we get to the temple with all of the human artifacts where Indy calls them archeologists. So what was it, were they here to teach us or to learn about us?

I still think the aliens don't work as well because they lack the more singular and known backstory of the Ark of the Covenant and Holy Grail. I cannot really think of any other well known artifacts that would work in a similar manner.

Technically, can they really be called aliens? They are "inter-dimensional beings" that live "in the space between spaces".

• Time Travel Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Spoiler
    Technically, can they really be called aliens? They are "inter-dimensional beings" that live "in the space between spaces".
    Spoiler
    When Ox said that, all I could think was, "they're sliders!"
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    After seeing the film again (yes, twice in one day) I do have some more questions.

Spoiler
    We never get a real answer as to why the aliens are there. For most of the film it is leaning at the "Aliens taught early humans" angle. Then we get to the temple with all of the human artifacts where Indy calls them archeologists. So what was it, were they here to teach us or to learn about us?

I still think the aliens don't work as well because they lack the more singular and known backstory of the Ark of the Covenant and Holy Grail. I cannot really think of any other well known artifacts that would work in a similar manner.

Spoiler
    Well, the problem with this isn't presenting a single explanation. It's presenting a single explanation that the movie could actually present to the viewers as CORRECT. The only way we, the viewer, can know why the aliens were here is to have it come from one of the aliens. I don't think there has to be a single explanation for why they are here. They obviously had a lot of knowledge (the greatest gift...yadayadayada). Maybe they wanted to share (teaching) and gain (collection of artifacts) knowledge.

I would agree that the Crystal Skull in its movie iteration lacks a backstory like the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail, but I think it still works. I will qualify that by saying that I think it works because a topic that ALWAYS comes up when discussing ancient cultures and how advanced they were is WHY they were so advanced. Frankly, I don't see why aliens have to be any more supernatural or less plausible than a chest that explodes peoples' heads and kills people with lightning and a cup that has ridiculous healing powers and grants the drinker life. Sure, aliens/alien crystal skulls don't have an established backstory like AotC/HG do, but there are very few other Biblical relics that are supposed to have any sort of "power" to them. Sure, they may not work as well because the viewer doesn't have the advantage of being all like "Hey, I know what that is and what it means," but I'm fine with that.

• To infinity & beyond!!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    We saw the midnight showing as well. It was a lot of fun to see Indy on the big screen for the first time. Quite a few in our theater dressed up as Indy characters (got a picture of a really good Henry Jones Sr.).

I too kinda felt that the CGI was a bit over done, though for the most part they kept it reigned in with only a few instances of real obviousness.

We loved that there were some really great one-liners in this one, moreso it felt than previous Indy films.

The opening sequence was a beautiful nod to a past film.
    Spoiler
    I wonder if there is anything cool/humorous written on any of the crates you pass throughout that scene.

As to story content:
    Spoiler
    At first, I felt kind of cheated by the distinctly SciFi direction the film took as well. After a night of thinking about it, I think it works, though I still think this could have been done better.

In the 20s you had Carnarvon's death after the opening of Tutankhamun's tomb, and all the mythos of cursed mummies and boobie-trapped temples, etc. The movies about Indy in this era (20s/30s) reflects this. Temples with elaborate booby traps and a cult using the mystical powers of stones.

In the late 40s early 50s the world has just come out of WWII and the space race is beginning. In 47 you have the Roswell incident that created a whole new public mythos. There are actually a number of real Crystal Skulls that have been found (one even tested at Hewlett-Packards crystalography labs) since the late 1800's. They are linked, in some peoples minds, to the Mayan and alien visitors, though there is zero actual scientific evidence of this. There is plenty of evidence that they were machined though.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the writers took actual artifacts from the real-world and the supposed history behind them and put them into an Indy movie that takes place right at the beginning of the worlds race to space, when questions about aliens and science-fiction filtered through our culture to a very large degree.

I think the main reason that the whole alien thing feels so ridiculous is because of how our culture has treated alien/ufo rumors for the past 60 years. People that believe in them are widely ridiculed and the idea is popularly thought of as preposterous. But is it really any more strange than angels/ghosts coming from the ark and melting the flesh from a person? Or than a cultist leader reaching into a mans chest and pulling his heart out, leaving him still alive?

So, overall, while I think it could definitely have been executed better in places, I enjoyed this one and will see it again. I will definitely own it. I'm glad to see that Harrison Ford has still got it to be an action hero. A good solid 4 stars from me.

I completely agree!
    Spoiler
    I think people are forgetting how sci-fi crazy the 1950's were and thats why they're not really liking the whole alien thing in the movie.
    I think it could have been done a little better, but all in all very entertaining.

• Imagine If.

I have already posted my brief comment and don't want to get too much into it. But I had quick question for all of you. I heard that one of the ideas for the screen play was going to be on that of Atlantis. I thought this might have worked a tad bit bettter because like how many of you have said, the backstory of the Crystal Skulls was there but not many knew about it and they took it a couple steps further with their own ideas. Its tough to pull out the "what if" card but who knows, possibly a story for a fifth Indy?
    Last edited by Dollars; 05-22-2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Sorry, didn't reread my post

• ...TWO BITS!

I came out mixed but mostly disappointed-

Spoiler
    The idea of Indy's son, alien crystal skulls, Communist villians, and the 1950s era I was totally fine with in the beginning.

The CGI disappointed me, especially the beginning with the gophers. I think I started loosing faith. Reminding me of the CGI deers in "The Ring Two".

The subtext of the "space race" in the 1950s makes more sense to me now. I think the filmmakers should have hinted at Communists, space race, and the media of the era focusing on sci-fi entertainment in the 1st act to really inject/introduce the inspirations for the alien crystal skulls.

But the scene with the huge alien space craft rising up from the ground with spiriling dirt around a temple didn't fit with me. Something more subtle would have been fine. But the idea of the temple also being a UFO was okay to me (yet also predictable) but I can't remember where I've seen this before.

Mutt the Tarzan was a sad scene indeed.

There was a lack of booby traps. Although the booby traps were more of the 1920s/1930s, I think it could have fit somewhere.

I didn't really hear any distinct musical scores that would make Indy 4 it's own. Was there even a motif for the crystal skull or Communists?

Speaking of Atlantis, I think it may have been appropiate for the Crystal Skull to have been placed in Atlantis. Indy goes forth to Atlantis to retrieve the skull. By the movie's midpoint, they must return the skull to the City of Gold. Atlantis met a more terrible fate with the Crystal Skull putting it off the maps and into legend.

I thought there were many recycled ideas from other films, which disappointed me. For example: War of the Worlds (underground UFO), The Mummy Returns (hurricane of dirt around a temple), Alien vs Predator (aliens teaching humans techniques), Batman Forever (too much knowledge can destroy you), Indy 2/ POTC (Searching & then RETURNING treasure), knowledge is power/ the greatest treasure, etc.

Last edited by filmfreak11; 05-22-2008 at 08:38 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Having no expectations and knowing it has been 19 years. It was a real pleasure to see Indiana back up on the big screen. Somehow Hollywood forgot how to make these kinda of films. The whole idea of sitting on the edge of your seat and watch the story unfold before you. So dont let complicated views get in the way of enjoying the Film. If your going to the film dont read any reviews because most people feel they are the next Gene Siskel (oh by the way his old partner Roger Ebert gave it a A-). This is old style film making and it is a lost art. So what if it could have been better is that going to keep you from seeing the movie???? If your a Indy fan dont wait for the DVD or Cable....you will miss the lights going out in the theater and watching that Lucas Fim Ltd logo come on the screen. Enjoy the film. You may not ever see Mr. Ford as Indiana again. I am not going to rank the films in terms of which is better because they all great in their own ways. Out of all the films that Hollywood will release this year how many will be great? Maybe 1 or 2? So dont judge this film anymore than what it is.
    Jason

• E T1CK3T

You must admit that the tributes to the original films (generally the 1st and 3rd) were really great.

Spoiler
    1) The Ark in the Nevada wharehouse. I was looking in every scene shot in the wharehouse to see if I could spot the box, thinking that Lucas and Spielburg would have put it inconspicuously on one of the stacks of crates... but instead, it got a HUGE nod, which was something special.

2) The pictures of Marcus Brody and Henry Jones Sr. on Indy's desk, as well as Brody's memorial statue. They were great shots, and brought back the memories of those characters and what they did in the other films... I just wish they could have honored Sallah in some way as well.

3) Indy calling his son "Junior". This was perfect, reminding me instantly of Indy's own father in "The Last Crusade".

4) Indy mutters, "Communists" at the beginning of the film. This was a throwback to Indy's previous utterances of "snakes" and "Nazis" (I hate these guys") from the 1st and 3rd movies.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWolf38 View Post
    You must admit that the tributes to the original films (generally the 1st and 3rd) were really great.
    You missed one big tribute too. Indy mentions that he...
    Spoiler
    rode with Pancho Villa. A nod to Young Indiana Jones Chronicles: The Curse of the Jackal, or its re-edited version The Young Indiana Jones Adventures: Spring Break Adventure. It's in Volume 1 if you have the DVD sets.

• Former Starspeeder Pilot

The more I read about the movie and think about it, the more I guess the movie makes sense when you think about it in the context of the 1950s and what was going on then then....

Spoiler
    BUT, I still would have like to see some sort of MacGuffin that was a little more earthly. Having aliens at the end and futuristic technology was just a little too of the wall for me. I really wish they would have taken it in another direction and just had the skulls have some sort of strange mythical power.

To me, it felt like the last 15 min were the ending to a different movie. The first hour and 40 min were FANTASTIC and made me smile like a little boy watching Last Crusade for the first time again (that was the first Indy I saw as a kid). It was classic Indy, with fun scenes and Indy having a great fight with a big foreign dude (in the ant scene) that reminded me of his fight with the big dude in Raiders next to the airplane. I thought the rapport between Harrison and Shia was pretty good, too. The fact that Shia was his son was also the worst kept secret EVER.

The Mac character was poorly defined. It reminded me of Elsa in Last Crusade, but you could clearly see her being conflicted with working against Indy in that movie. It was never more apparent than in the scene at the Nazi rally where she could have screamed but gave Indy the diary instead of ratting him out. Mac just seemed to be a Rusky agent the whole time and I wasn't sad when he died.

I agree with those who complained about no identifiable score. There needed to be a musical theme to keep popping up for the Crystal Skull. The Ark theme that plays near the beginning of the Indy ride is very memorable to me, as is the Grail theme from Last Crusade.

And Sallah needed to be in it!

I was quite worried, though, that Harrison would look like an old man in the movie and not be able to be like his "old" self. The first photos of him in the Indy outfit for this movie made him look terribly old, but he handled himself very well in the movie. They made great references to his age in the film, but he certainly looked like classic Indy in all of the action scenes. That was a great joy to see.

Overall, it was okay. I give the first hour and forty 4.5 out of 5 stars, and the climax a 1.5 out of 5.

To me, Last Crusade was the perfect ending to the Indy trilogy. Watching the ending again recently, it was just amazing. You have Henry Jones, sr., finally calling his son Indiana when he was telling him to let the grail go at the end (the grail which sr. had spent most of his life pursuing!), and the classic line when Indy asks his dad what he learned from the journey. Sr. replies, "Illumination." Then they ride off into the sunset. Incredible.

This movie just felt like they put Indiana Jones into a movie where he didn't belong. Like putting Mickey Mouse in as a main character in South Park. It just doesn't work well...

Walking in Walt's footsteps

• Seasick

What's with the spoiler boxes? The movie is out, I fail to see why anyone who doesn't want details couldn't just avoid this thread, but I digress...

Spoiler
    First off, kudos to them for not showing every detail in the trailers. Yeah, we saw brief snippets of most scenes, but I never felt like I was watching an extended trailer. Using the beginning of the movie as the basis for most of the trailer is much appreciated.

Harrison looks good. I gotta admit, he looked too old at first, but by the end of the movie I wasn't thinking he looked old, just that Indy is back. You just kind of get used to him.

My biggest complaint is the lack of realism. Nobody could have survived that ridiculous tumble in the refrigerator. Nobody could have survived three trips over huge waterfalls, while staying in the boat most of the time no less. The vine swinging? Ugh. And how convenient to have a nice path cleared through the heart of the Amazon Jungle to facilitate a chase scene.

The movie dragged in the middle, too much exposition, but as soon as Marion showed up the movie was suddenly fun, exciting, funny, and a joy to watch. Loved their chemistry. The reaction to Mutt once he knew he was his son was fun. Too bad Marion didn't show up until halfway through.

So glad they didn't tell us beforehand that Mutt would turn out to be Indy's son *eye roll*. Come on, did anyone not see that coming?

Too bad there were no cameos. I remember Lucas saying years ago he had a scene written with Indy's old flames. I figured out pretty quickly the movie would end with a wedding, and they could have brought back Willy, Short Round, Sallah, or whomever for the scene (although that could have detracted from the moment).

Just in case we forgot this movie is set in the fifties, they managed to shoe-horn in every single cliched scene one could imagine to remind us.

Overall, third best in the series. Highly entertaining. Better than most movies out there, if it seems disappointing in some ways it's due only to the incredible pedigree it had to live up to.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWolf38 View Post

Spoiler
    1) The Ark in the Nevada wharehouse. I was looking in every scene shot in the wharehouse to see if I could spot the box, thinking that Lucas and Spielburg would have put it inconspicuously on one of the stacks of crates... but instead, it got a HUGE nod, which was something special.

2) The pictures of Marcus Brody and Henry Jones Sr. on Indy's desk, as well as Brody's memorial statue. They were great shots, and brought back the memories of those characters and what they did in the other films... I just wish they could have honored Sallah in some way as well.

3) Indy calling his son "Junior". This was perfect, reminding me instantly of Indy's own father in "The Last Crusade".

4) Indy mutters, "Communists" at the beginning of the film. This was a throwback to Indy's previous utterances of "snakes" and "Nazis" (I hate these guys") from the 1st and 3rd movies.
    I personally thought that all of the references to the original trilogy were jarring and heavy-handed, particularly the first one (the warehouse was enough - the close-up on the broken chest was laboured)

And what was with the car race at the beginning??! Completely pointless other than to hammer the 'set-in-the-50s' message home.

This film had NO SUBTLETY whatsoever!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Just came back from the movies, and I really enjoyed it! I thought it was really fun, which is what I went to see. I'm sure I'll have some other comments tomorrow once I collect my thoughts, but
    Spoiler
    the Mutt as Tarzan thing was lame, although Tarzan would be an appropriate reference for the time period.

Question: Indy alludes to his father's death. Didn't Dr. Jones Sr. drink from the Holy Grail at the end of #3? Or did they just pour the Holy water over his wound? I'm pretty sure he drank it, so how could he die if he had eternal life? Unless they just meant spiritual/figurative eternal life, but that seems like a lot of work for the Nazis to go through for no tangible pay off.
    A signature should go here.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Spoiler
    Question: Indy alludes to his father's death. Didn't Dr. Jones Sr. drink from the Holy Grail at the end of #3? Or did they just pour the Holy water over his wound? I'm pretty sure he drank it, so how could he die if he had eternal life?
    The Grail Knight explains it. You only remain immortal if you stay in the Canyon. Once they crossed the seal, they're no longer immortal.

Remember the story of the 3 brothers. Even though the Grail kept the other 2 alive for hundreds of years, as soon as they left the Canyon of the Crescent Moon to go back home, the aging process started to catch up with them. One of them died before arriving home and the other got there with barely enough time to tell the tale before dying of extreme old age.

BTW, this movie felt way too different for me to be able to compare it accurately to the other 3. Although I'm still one of those odd ones who actually likes Temple Of Doom the best. Call me crazy, but it has the best score, the most memorable and quotable dialogue, plus it starts with a bang and never stops til the end. There are no slow points that drag the film down like in the other 2 (LC not so much, but looking back, Raiders drags a lot at times).
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    Although I'm still one of those odd ones who actually likes Temple Of Doom the best. Call me crazy, but it has the best score, the most memorable and quotable dialogue, plus it starts with a bang and never stops til the end. There are no slow points that drag the film down like in the other 2 (LC not so much, but looking back, Raiders drags a lot at times).

You've said it. Temple of Doom is my favorite (though Raiders is the best).

Regarding Crystal Skull... I just... man. I'm... I'm at a loss for words. Not that this movie ruined my childhood. It ruined my summer! I was planning on seeing this over and over again. I won't. And I have these action figures I no longer want.

This film, while it had many great moments, just didn't have the right glue to keep it all together. It's a mess. I don't care if you like it. That's fine. You don't need to defend it. It's just a hot tranny mess is what it is.

The villains were weak. The mcguffin, weak. How Indy got pulled into it... just too crazy. The score is sadly, the weakest of the trilogy but could also be because of how weak the story was.

I dunno... maybe in a few years I'll grow to appreciate and love the movie like I do the other ones. The previous three have outrageous moments but you can kinda buy them. This one was one outrageous moment after another and it just became overwhelming with fakeness. The first three played the action straight. This one went for broke no matter how ludicrous the situation.

I rate it between 2-3 stars (out of 5) for now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast