View Poll Results: What did you think of the new Indy?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - It's like Indy never left

27 15.98%
  • 4 Stars - A little older, a little wiser, but still fun

76 44.97%
  • 3 Stars - It was okay, not the best Indy

49 28.99%
  • 2 Stars - Where's Sallah when you need him?

9 5.33%
  • 1 Star - The Last Crusade should have been his last crusade

8 4.73%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• Infinitized!

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (MiceChat Reviews)

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And I have these action figures I no longer want.
    I'll take them if you don't want them!

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars View Post
    I heard that one of the ideas for the screen play was going to be on that of Atlantis.
    That was always just a rumor based on the conception fans had for the longest time that 'Fate of Atlantis' was Indy 4. Actually it was the only game to largely be considered canon.

It's still the best Indy game and by far the story and plot is much better than that of KotCS.

I was actually half expecting a Sophia reference in this film given Spalkos psychic abilities, but unfortunately Lucas probably doesn't want to give a canon nod to the best Indy chick created since he didn't create her :-p
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I enjoyed this movie, I rank it equal to Last Crusade if not just a smidge worse than it which is pretty good for such a storied franchise with high expectations.

The only thing that bothers me is that people dont understand the gist of it. As the first 3 were a homage to their childhood, the 30's serials, this was a homage to their young adult years with the campy 50's Sci Fi movies. They said so themselves in interviews which is why this movie took the turn it did.

Spoiler
    And only Indiana Jones could ride out an atomic explosion in a regrigerator. That was pure genius right there. And that little bit of the Ark in the warehouse was great too.

Edit: And yes while I missed Sallah too, he wouldnt have worked in this movie. He lives in the Middle East, his connections are there and thats where he knows best. He just wouldnt have served the same purpose in a movie that takes place in South America.
    Last edited by Wren; 05-23-2008 at 06:34 AM.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Spoiler
    My biggest complaint is the lack of realism. Nobody could have survived that ridiculous tumble in the refrigerator. Nobody could have survived three trips over huge waterfalls, while staying in the boat most of the time no less. The vine swinging? Ugh. And how convenient to have a nice path cleared through the heart of the Amazon Jungle to facilitate a chase scene.
    Think back to the other movies man...

How many bullets from how many machine guns have missed Indy simply because he ducks and runs? A mine car flying that fast down a non-banked track and doing a jump of 20+ feet and landing just fine on the next segment of track? Outrunning a wall of water on foot? Hanging on to the outside of a submarine for an ocean voyage of (according to the map) several thousand miles? Willie hanging 12 feet above a pool of lava and not having a mark on her? (Other guy burst into flames half way down). Not to mention all of the paranormal stuff that goes on.

Realism has never been a hallmark of the Indy movies. Certainly they inhabit a real world, but in a very unreal, heightened sort of way.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    The only thing that bothers me is that people dont understand the gist of it. As the first 3 were a homage to their childhood, the 30's serials, this was a homage to their young adult years with the campy 50's Sci Fi movies. They said so themselves in interviews which is why this movie took the turn it did.

Spoiler
    And only Indiana Jones could ride out an atomic explosion in a regrigerator. That was pure genius right there. And that little bit of the Ark in the warehouse was great too.
    Yes, these movies are homages somewhat, and often reflect the good and bad of the source material. Gotta just accept it and go with the flow. The movies are all about fun, not being ultra-realistic.

However, having said that, the fridge scene was ridiculous. It's one of those scenes that removes me from the movie early on, as it becomes obvious there isn't going to be any drama or tension (Indy can survive anything) and the movie is going to be way out of touch with reality.

Special effects should be used for the fantastical stuff and where stunts would be too dangerous, but when they're used to show a charactor straddling two jeeps racing through the jungle, they're just using special effects to create scenes with no semblance of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I personally thought that all of the references to the original trilogy were jarring and heavy-handed, particularly the first one (the warehouse was enough - the close-up on the broken chest was laboured)

And what was with the car race at the beginning??! Completely pointless other than to hammer the 'set-in-the-50s' message home.

This film had NO SUBTLETY whatsoever!
    I agree. The warehouse alone was cool, no need to pound us over the head with the cameo.

I liked the car race. It was a fun way to open the movie. Loved the retro Paramount logo too. It was only over the course of the movie that I thought they were over-doing the 50's cliches.

Definately no subtlety. A friend complained about the amount of exposition dragging the film down. They felt the need to explain everything.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Waiting Since 1992

I think I did the right thing: I walked into it expecting crap and was pleased with the outcome. I absolutely loved the first half of the movie;it might even be my favorite beginning. Some of the over-the-top stuff was disappointing but the ending was extremely satisfying. I adore the last scene. Also, Shia did not ruin the movie, I love that kid! Ever since Even Stevens I have been a fan simply because of his unique style of acting and then I saw Disturbia and was hooked. Anyway, I could totally take the bait if Speilberg decides to continue the adventures with Shia as the lead.

Overall, not what I was expecting and that is a good thing 4 stars.

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Think back to the other movies man...

How many bullets from how many machine guns have missed Indy simply because he ducks and runs? A mine car flying that fast down a non-banked track and doing a jump of 20+ feet and landing just fine on the next segment of track? Outrunning a wall of water on foot? Hanging on to the outside of a submarine for an ocean voyage of (according to the map) several thousand miles? Willie hanging 12 feet above a pool of lava and not having a mark on her? (Other guy burst into flames half way down). Not to mention all of the paranormal stuff that goes on.

Realism has never been a hallmark of the Indy movies. Certainly they inhabit a real world, but in a very unreal, heightened sort of way.
    Very true. Of course, no one gets hit by machine guns in any movie. Never understood that. And the mine cart could have landed on the track. It's possible. So there :P

Paranormal stuff is fine, that's just fantasy. I still think being flung across the desert in a refrigerator and walking out without a scratch, strains credibility.

FYI, I think they have mentioned in the past that there was a scene of Indy entering the sub, but it was cut from the film, so he didn't actually ride it across the ocean.

• Dreams do come true

However, having said that, the fridge scene was ridiculous. It's one of those scenes that removes me from the movie early on, as it becomes obvious there isn't going to be any drama or tension (Indy can survive anything) and the movie is going to be way out of touch with reality.
    Spoiler
    But the Fridge was Lead lined!!

On another subject was Shia name Mudd or Mutt, I thought Mudd

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Very true. Of course, no one gets hit by machine guns in any movie. Never understood that. And the mine cart could have landed on the track. It's possible. So there :P

Paranormal stuff is fine, that's just fantasy. I still think being flung across the desert in a refrigerator and walking out without a scratch, strains credibility.

FYI, I think they have mentioned in the past that there was a scene of Indy entering the sub, but it was cut from the film, so he didn't actually ride it across the ocean.
    In all fairness (which isn't much):

Spoiler
    The bomb didn't directly hit the town. It looked like it was detonated quite a distance away. What DID hit the town was the shockwave/heatwave and probably a good dose of radiation. That much lead should technically save you from radiation. There have been more farfetched stories of people ACTUALLY surviving (Plane crash from 30k feet by staying in the wreckage, etc.), so I can buy that the fridge was decent enough to help him. Not too sure about how much it would save him from the heat, but even then, I find it campy. Sure, you could call it unrealistic, too, and I certainly didn't grow up in the 50s, but keep in mind that that was the era with the doctrine of "Duck and Cover" to save yourself from a nuclear attack. If he had done THAT and survived, I would have laughed so hard I would have cried.

EDIT: Shia's name is Mutt.

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by snorkeld View Post
    Spoiler
    But the Fridge was Lead lined!!

On another subject was Shia name Mudd or Mutt, I thought Mudd

Spoiler
    The lead lined part is fine, the fact that he walked out of it after being flung across the desert in it by a nuclear blast, not so much

I just read this review: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36806 and totally agree with it 100%. It's a fun movie, despite any flaws and absurd moments.

I think like most movies, I'll love this one more and more with repeated viewings. This is the type of movie you have to watch once, in order to get over the inevitable fact that it's not as good as Raiders. Once one accepts that, okay, it's not perfect and often over-the-top ridiculous, I think the movie will be more enjoyable as the fun piece of pulp it was designed to be.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I totally agree with you about the fridge. And to simply come out and get right back up. You know, maybe let him just lie there while we see how big the blast is?

At that point, I was just "oh, come on!!" Previous Indy films, the action was never obsurd. Maybe he did miss those bullets, but they always showed where the bullets went. in 'Crystal Skull', the russian soldiers were always in much closer proximity and somehow kept missing. It was just obsurd that Marion would be driving so close to them and not get shot.

And then there's the swinging on the vines, which was funny but wow, really bad. That was like... Lost World gymnastics vs a Raptor bad.

I could have also done without the ants. It's as if they were trying to find ways to top themselves but they really didn't need to! These ants were obsurd. Climbing upon each other to form some ladder??

There is disbelief in the first films... like the power of the ark, holy grail, or simple physics that could or couldn't happen depending on the variables. In this film, all of that logic is thrown out the window.

As I said before, some great moments but the glue holding it together is more of the elmer's variety.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Seasick

And then there's the swinging on the vines, which was funny but wow, really bad. That was like... Lost World gymnastics vs a Raptor bad.

There is disbelief in the first films... like the power of the ark, holy grail, or simple physics that could or couldn't happen depending on the variables. In this film, all of that logic is thrown out the window.
    Ha ha, so true about the vine swinging. We were joking afterward, about how they established that Mutt learned fencing in school. That must have been the morning class, the afternoon apparently was vine swinging. No logic in play at all.

And of course Marion didn't get hit by the hundreds, if not thousands, of machine gun bullets being continuously fired at her from mere metres away. She ducked. Did you not notice that she ducked?

I'm listening to the score now. It's probably the least memorable of the Indy scores, but solid as always. It's worth staying through the end credits to hear the nifty little remix (can I call it that?) Williams adds to the Raiders march.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm listening to the score now. It's probably the least memorable of the Indy scores, but solid as always. It's worth staying through the end credits to hear the nifty little remix (can I call it that?) Williams adds to the Raiders march.

I'm listening to it too and do have a better appreciation of the score now having seen the film, but now I'm just wondering where the nod to Henry Jones sr. is on the soundtrack! Probably omitted from the CD. I actually noticed quite a bit of stuff that wasn't on the soundtrack release and that bums me out.

As for the 'remix' at the end, I don't like it. Sounds like something another composer would do to it to make their mark on someone else's music. Kinda like Harry Potter 4 and 5.

soundtrack geek talk ahead:
    I've been pondering on why this score isn't as successful as the previous ones. It's because there weren't a lot of new themes and fanfares introduced. A lot of it is riding too much on the original anthem.

In Temple of Doom, you got Short Round's theme (one of my favorites) that has the chinese flavor. You have the march of the slave children that works as a musical piece or as the background for some awesome action. And also in Temple of Doom, all of the chase sequences have INCREDIBLE music. Most of you have heard it all on the Indiana Jones ride.

Last Crusade has several new themes too. One for the grail, a new one for the Nazis, and again, great music to underlie the chase scenes (scherzo for motorcycle & orchestra, boat chase, etc).

Crystal Skull.... there's only a theme for Irina but it's slow and moody. Where's the russian music for the russians? I think that's what this movie needed. I think the only new piece I can really take out of this is the music behind Mutt & Indy's motorcycle chase.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Blog Entries

OOO! Another question!

Was there a near death experience for his crotch?

i love that running gag...

•   
    • Seasick

I'm listening to it too and do have a better appreciation of the score now having seen the film, but now I'm just wondering where the nod to Henry Jones sr. is on the soundtrack! Probably omitted from the CD. I actually noticed quite a bit of stuff that wasn't on the soundtrack release and that bums me out.
    I agree. The score lacks a memorable new theme and/or fanfare. There isn't anything new that doesn't sound like "merely" generic John Williams.

I hate how incomplete music score CDs are as well. Every John Williams score should be a 2-disc affair.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast