View Poll Results: What did you think of the new Indy?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - It's like Indy never left

27 15.98%
  • 4 Stars - A little older, a little wiser, but still fun

76 44.97%
  • 3 Stars - It was okay, not the best Indy

49 28.99%
  • 2 Stars - Where's Sallah when you need him?

9 5.33%
  • 1 Star - The Last Crusade should have been his last crusade

8 4.73%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• Disneyland PAP

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (MiceChat Reviews)

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'm listening to it too and do have a better appreciation of the score now having seen the film, but now I'm just wondering where the nod to Henry Jones sr. is on the soundtrack! Probably omitted from the CD. I actually noticed quite a bit of stuff that wasn't on the soundtrack release and that bums me out.

As for the 'remix' at the end, I don't like it. Sounds like something another composer would do to it to make their mark on someone else's music. Kinda like Harry Potter 4 and 5.

soundtrack geek talk ahead:
    I've been pondering on why this score isn't as successful as the previous ones. It's because there weren't a lot of new themes and fanfares introduced. A lot of it is riding too much on the original anthem.

In Temple of Doom, you got Short Round's theme (one of my favorites) that has the chinese flavor. You have the march of the slave children that works as a musical piece or as the background for some awesome action. And also in Temple of Doom, all of the chase sequences have INCREDIBLE music. Most of you have heard it all on the Indiana Jones ride.

Last Crusade has several new themes too. One for the grail, a new one for the Nazis, and again, great music to underlie the chase scenes (scherzo for motorcycle & orchestra, boat chase, etc).

Crystal Skull.... there's only a theme for Irina but it's slow and moody. Where's the russian music for the russians? I think that's what this movie needed. I think the only new piece I can really take out of this is the music behind Mutt & Indy's motorcycle chase.
    I'm a soundtrack geek too, but when I read at JWFan.net the following, I decided to hold off on buying the new soundtrack until I see if the set was worth getting.

The Concord Music Group has confirmed that they will reissue the soundtracks to Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana jones and the Last Crusade (as we reported on April 2). The soundtracks will be reissued this fall as part of a four-CD boxed set which will also include the soundtrack for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
    I have both of the previous Raiders' releases and the Crusade release on CD. And I copied by vinyl record of Temple onto CD for myself. But it'd be great to finally have a reasonably-priced licensed copy of Temple on CD and have the Skull CD without having to double-dip.

Back on topic, I remember geeking out hearing themes from the previous movies quoted in the early parts of the Skull, and my ears perking up during the bike chase. But other than that, it seemed they either dialed down a lot of Williams' music or it just wasn't his very customarily "leitmotif" work. Or possibly both. So I'm looking forward to hearing the soundtrack as soon as I pick it up.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

I enjoyed it. I plan to see it again as it was a rather noisy crowd with morons talking or bring their young children in and sitting behind myself and my buds.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Ok I havent read everyone elses posts but heres my opinion....
    The movie was great.......then went in a direction that I just didnt get. Aliens? Really? And swinging from vines like Tarzan? WTH??
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Autopsy View Post
    I enjoyed it. I plan to see it again as it was a rather noisy crowd with morons talking or bring their young children in and sitting behind myself and my buds.
    I saw "Iron Man" opening night at a local theatre called The Bridge and the next night I saw it again with other friends at a Regal Theatre. At The Bridge, they have an option called the Director's Hall; basically for five bucks more, you get assigned seating in a theatre with better sound and projection. At the Regal, you get what everyone gets. My lesson: teenagers by the hordes go to a Regal on Friday nights and likely won't pay the extra five bucks to see the same movie at a place like The Bridge. In my old and crotchey years, I love theatres like The Bridge just cuz they have an option that helps screen out distracting theatre-goers. (Altho' I remember watching "Cars" in the Director's Hall with a fair amount of kids in the audience. Luckily the sound system drowned out anything I might've heard them say! )

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    Ok I havent read everyone elses posts but heres my opinion....
    The movie was great.......then went in a direction that I just didnt get. Aliens? Really? And swinging from vines like Tarzan? WTH??
    50s=Space/Space Men

As for the Tarzan thing, that sounds about fitting for a campy B-movie-esque series, which is what Indiana Jones IS. Also probably wouldn't be out of place in the Saturday morning TV movies of yore that the movie was shooting for.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    50s=Space/Space Men

As for the Tarzan thing, that sounds about fitting for a campy B-movie-esque series, which is what Indiana Jones IS. Also probably wouldn't be out of place in the Saturday morning TV movies of yore that the movie was shooting for.
    I suppose, but its my opinion. And I absolutely LOVE the Indiana Jones movies. I just found the 2nd half of the movie a tad too cheesy. Thats all.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Loved every minute of it! Its exactly the kind of movie I expected and think its a great addition to the franchise.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing...that it was all started by a mouse" °o°
    - Uncle Walt

• Dave

Blog Entries

We are seeing it tomorow. We have a ten year old and an eight year old. Any thoughts? Also I've read rumers about a 5th any thoughts?
    Dave

• Minion

I gave it 3 out of 5 stars, even though I am not really sure what I think of it. I have seen it twice now, and it has more than enough stupid moments such as
    Spoiler
    Mutt swinging with CGI monkeys, the very goofy CGI ant attack
    . Professor Oxley is the Jar Jar of the Indy franchise, but not quite as bad. There is very little tension, way too much CGI, moments that are suppose to be scary come off as silly, and way too much exposition. Harrison Ford and Karen Allan are what saves this movie.

This is like the Little Golden Book version of Indiana Jones. There is practically no violence and no scares. This is Indiana Jones for the walkie talkies in place of guns in E.T. generation.

I still gave it 3 out of 5, because I really want to like it. I am a hardcore Indy fan, and I believe that I may be in a state of denial. I feel I could really trash this film, but I really want to like it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    We are seeing it tomorow. We have a ten year old and an eight year old. Any thoughts?

It's PG-13 but seems to be fewer onscreen deaths than any of the previous Indy films. There's also no melting of people or decomposing in real time. Okay maybe one but it was already dead.

I have to say that though it isn't as dark as Temple of Doom, there's a lot of temples and grave yard moments that can really scare or creep someone out.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Dave

Blog Entries

thanks for the inf. so it sounds like an ok movie for kids between 8 and 10.
    Dave

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    The Grail Knight explains it. You only remain immortal if you stay in the Canyon. Once they crossed the seal, they're no longer immortal.
    Der! Thank you! I knew there was a catch, but I couldn't come up with it last night.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    thanks for the inf. so it sounds like an ok movie for kids between 8 and 10.
    My 10 year old went with us last night, and watching him watch the movie was awesome. He was reluctant and not thrilled about going (he wanted to see Iron Man instead), but his eye were as big as saucers and he was totally focused on the movie the whole time.
    A signature should go here.

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    OOO! Another question!

Was there a near death experience for his crotch?

i love that running gag...
    Yup. It's a quick one though and barely a homage.

It's in one of the trailers, so you've already seen it probably.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    Yup. It's a quick one though and barely a homage.

It's in one of the trailers, so you've already seen it probably.

Coolieo, thats one of the best things.

• Disney Memory Maker

Just saw it tonight. Let me say preface my review by saying I have never seen the first 3 Indy flicks (the only real knowledge I have of the series is the common-sense, well known scenes and the various Disney Studios references.

Overall, the first hour and a half was a solid, popcorn flick (not iconic, but fun). The last half hour though was simply horrible.....

[Nothing overly-spoilerish below]

Pros
    Spoiler

• All the Indy/Soviets scenes (I loved the various fights and battles between Team Indy and Team Crazy Ukrainian)
    • The interaction between Indy and Marian (the sarcasm and jokes between the two is one of the highlights for me of the Stunt Show at WDW)
    • Harrison Ford (I thought he was great)
    • Shia LaBeouf (I thought he got into the part perfectly)
    • The 50s era style (red scare, grease-like, etc)
    • The visuals (seemed very Indy-like)
    • The Crystal Skull (I had nothing wrong with the mystical properties of the movie)
    • The jokes in general
    • That Shia's character didn't get to put the hat on at the end (that would have just been overly-cheesy)

Cons
    Spoiler

• The entire alien scene, pretty much everything from the spaceship onwards (I don't mind mystical, but flat-out aliens? Come on. The entire section was just horrible and unnecessary)
    • That whole knowledge-is-gold part (come on, do we really need to get that cheesy?)
    • The monkey scene (I didn't mind the ant scene, but the monkeys scene was just unnecessary)
    • All the "natives" at the end (why even bother having them there if no action was going to happen)
    • The virtual lack of bull-whip!!!! Hello. Indy is known for 3 things... his hat, his coat and his whip. Meanwhile, after a cameo at the beginning, the whip seemed to just disappear
    • The CGI at the end (that entire spinning rocks scene was tacky. The standard alien-design was also quite unoriginal)
    • Professor Oz (come on, giving everything in riddles? I have to agree with whoever said it below that he is the jar-jar of the series (although I liked Jar-Jar somewhat)).
    • Too National Treasure-like. Maybe Indy started that kind of thing, but I really don't care. Nicholas Cage and NT executed the treasure-hunt concept 100 times better than Harrison Ford and this movie. It just seemed fun in NT and forced here.
    • The SOUND TRACK. It was horrible. For a film franchise that has such memorable and iconic music, it just sucked in this movie. I kept waiting for a grand rendition of the Indy theme or something similar (or at the same level of) the temple music from earlier movies, but I got nothing.
    • Age jokes (the first 2 were funny, it just got old (pun intended) after that)
    • Throwbacks/Nostalgia (throwing in a couple of references to the older movies were of course, mandatory. But maybe if this movie made a little more of its own iconic moments, it wouldn't need to make so many throwbacks)

The theater was of course packed (opening weekend, so I wasn't surprised) And while I'm giving a review, here were the trailers....

Hellboy 2 - Didn't like the last trailer, don't like this one. Crappy, Nintendo 64-era graphics is I think my main complaint.

Kung Fu Panda
    - Seems like your standard Dreamworks movie (though Jack Black certainly seems funnier than past DWKS leads)

Hancock -
    I'm glad this seems at least a little funnier than his previous movies, but I wish WIll Smith would throw in the occasional comedy instead of his constant barrage of epic, ultra-serious (yet still usually great) action movies.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    - Quite possibly one of the most poorly made trailers (imo) ever. A seemingly random collage of clips with one confusing message.

The Spirit - An even worse trailer. It relies solely on some nostalgia that I don't even think exists. There was no reaction to this clip and I still have no idea what it's about (except that its lead has a red tie). If the Star Trek teaser was an example of the perfect use of Nostalgia, this is an example of the worst use.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast