Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

Disney Breaking News

DISNEY'S DVD PROPOSAL ANGERS THEATER OWNERS
    Thu Aug 18 2005 20:53:05 ET

The tension in Hollywood over declining box office receipts heated up Thursday as the head of the trade organization for movie theaters accused the chairman of the Walt Disney Co., Robert A. Iger, of leveling a "death threat" against his industry, the NYT reports on Friday.

The trade official, John Fithian, president of the National Association of Theatre Owners, was responding to a statement by Iger to Wall Street analysts earlier this month that movie studios need to accommodate changing consumer demand by releasing films simultaneously in theaters and on DVD.

"Simultaneous release would seriously damage the theater industry," Fithian said in an interview, referring to the prospect as a "death threat to our industry."

Developing...
    Link

• See what I got?

Re: Disney Breaking News

Hey, in Las Vegas, it cost as much to go to the movies- up to $9.50 each on a Fri or Sat night- as it does to buy it on DVD. Bring it on!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Same here. $9.75.

But the Theater experience can be so nice. If this happens you can count on "G" movies in theaters to become Extinct, as well as smaller budget flicks. I do think people will still show up for the BIG Blockbuster type movies, but that will be it.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• See what I got?

Probably a valid prediction. I could see that happening. I thought March of the Penguins wasn't going to make it to Vegas at all, and I wasn't happy about it. Fortunately, due to its success at the few theaters that finally got it, more theaters here have been picking it up. But you're right, sad, but family movies are probably the first goners.

Quote Originally Posted by lafantasma
    Hey, in Las Vegas, it cost as much to go to the movies- up to $9.50 each on a Fri or Sat night- as it does to buy it on DVD. Bring it on!
    I totally agree with you! As far as I'm concerned, I would rather watch in the privacy of my own home anyway...
    Just pop it in the home theatre, get a beer, and relax!!

• See what I got?

And you can watch it as many times as you want or sell it on e-bay or something if you didn't like it. Costs the same.

• Minion

I've known about this for some time. Movie Studios are calling it a "Super-Release", you'll be able to buy the film inn multiple versions on DVD (i.e. special, bare-bones, or collector's editions) and go to the movies and see it all on the same day.

However, recently, there have been rumors of selling the bare-bones DVD's at the theaters themselves.

The theatre industry is hurting a lot though. Piracy, and the earlier (by 3 months) home video release dates are killing thier business. You might have even noticed that most of the larger theatre companies are merging. For example, Edwards, Regal Cinema, Signature, and United Artists are all one company...

Personally, I think the end of Theatres is near. I LOVE going to the movies, but I usually go by myself or with my girlfriend, so I don't mind spend 10 bucks for a flick. However, for those with large families, the movies are pretty expensive...

I don't mind the 10 dollar prices because look at how much it costs to make the films! If the special effects are top notch, and the story is interesting, so what about the 10 dollars...

• Man O Lantern

We wait to see most movies in a pub theater. We get the big screen experience, while eating pizza and drinking fantastic beer, while sitting on comfy sofas. And it costs next to nothing. $3 for adults, $1 for the kids.

The kids and I are going to see Madagascar today at a pub theater. Will cost us $6 total to get us in. Plus a refillable pitcher of lemonade for another $5.50.

Sure, we have to wait a month or two til they hit the pub theaters, but I rarely care enough to see a movie immediately AND pay $9.50 to get in.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

On top of that, I do not like when you watch a movie in the theatres and big black spots appear on the screen for a second or two everynow and then. DVD's play clear crisp images.

• Rock Star Minion

Maybe this is a good way to keep actors' % of gross down. Do they get grosses of DVD sales?

One thing this trend does is make movies go away more quickly, and forever. It's just another throwaway entertainment medium. If that's what the "Industry" wants, then it's pretty much killing itself. Killing theaters is more like eliminating the middleman.

I actually do mind the $10 price. I hardly ever go to the movies because of it. I'll see good Disney toons, HP series, and maybe one or two academy nominations.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

It is what Iger said that is the problem here... from the same article...

In his comments on Aug. 9, Mr. Iger said the box-office decline was an alarm bell for the industry.

"I think windows in general need to change," he said, referring to the time between the theatrical release and the introduction of the DVD.

"They need to compress," Mr. Iger said. "I don't think it's out of the question that a DVD can be released, in effect, in the same window as a theatrical release, although I'm sure we will get a fair amount of pushback on this from the industry."
    This proves to me that Iger is an idiot... And should NOT run a film studio... Please, please... Get someone else!!!
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

You'd think that increasing the window (and decreasing theater prices) would be a better long-term solution. It helps to have way-above-average movies, though, that people want to see in a theater and not wait nine months, or possibly years, to see at home.
    Seems like one of those slippery-slope-type issues, where one studio shortens the window and others have to follow suit.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

All the downloading and illegal distributions of movies have the studios desperately trying to find a solution to the problem...

•   
    • Minion

Yeah, but shortening the window will only make piracy more prevallant really... And kill the theatre industry in the process...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Yeah, but shortening the window will only make piracy more prevallant really... And kill the theatre industry in the process...
    Regardless of the window issue, theaters are getting hit a lot more than film companies by piracy. The extremely poor quality of "home movies" I've seen allows only the least sophisticated (and mostly economically disadvantaged) of people to buy them instead of going to the theater or waiting for the DVD.
    Film companies get hit when their high-quality digital masters are copied and sent to thieves overseas. You can only trust so many inside people to not succomb to the dark side. What having a film on DVD at the theatrical opening will do is invert the window, allowing it to be available BEFORE the theatrical release! (That's how good the thieves are.)

What theaters need to do is make themselves different from, and better than, staying at home. Currently, they're a commodity business. And a way too expensive one at that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast