Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• "Don't Panic!"

fav's:Mulan I have a daughter and the first time she saw this movie all she could do was climb on my lap and tell me how much she loved me, so maybe I am just stupid but the main thing I got out of this one was the relationship of a father and daughter.
    Lilo & Stitch, Groove, POTC & Black Cauldron. Beauty and the Beast

Not Good...ok REALLY BAD (in my opinion)Hunchback!!! The worst there is no redeeming quality to this film at all; I have never seen a movie of any sort that missed the essence of a book as much as this one. I would watch and of the bad direct to video sequels a thousand times before I would watch this one again.
    others: Pocahontas,Hercules & Fox and the Hound
    Only one Daughter...but she has the strength of 10!!

• A Little Rabid

Favorites: The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Aladdin, Cinderella, Snow White

In The Middle: Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, The Great Mouse Detective

No.. Just No: Atlantis

Hunchback's been getting a lot of abuse on this board, ha ha. Yeah, I'm aware that it didn't stick too well with the book which is 50% of the criticism. Then you get the sexual overtones, the fact it's too dramatic and so on. Heck, even Roy Disney didn't want it to be made which probably would've been better for the company. But other wise, I adore the film. I admire the animation style, the themes of spirituality, faith, hope and tolerance as well as the chance that Disney took a big risk. Every time I watch it I feel renewed, inspired and touched. Maybe it's just me but despite the bad points that put weigh the good points, I'm sticking to this film no matter what.

Sleeping Beauty... too beautiful but too cold. There wasn't that warm acceptance from the other fairytale films that reached out to you. The romance was a little bland, it only focused on Aurora's physical demeanors but never any further. Snow White may have done the same but she seemed a little more human than our sleeping princess. It was like a piece of art in a museum that you could only admire but not diverse yourself in even more. The characters, none the less, were memorable which was one of the few strong holds.

I will watch Atalntis when it's on but it isn't much of a classic in my sense. I'm a sucker for Michael J. Fox, what can I say.

And don't get me into the sequels. The only ones I'm okay with are Aladdin II and III and Lion King 1/2. Lion King II was too mushy and robbed to me.

...Anyone else get annoyed at the term Disney Princesses? They're not all of royal blood. I mean, Mulan marries a general and not a prince but they classify her in that category. Ugh.

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Quote Originally Posted by Mousekiteer
    ...Anyone else get annoyed at the term Disney Princesses? They're not all of royal blood. I mean, Mulan marries a general and not a prince but they classify her in that category. Ugh.
    Yes! And most of the time, Pocahontas (an actual princess) is excluded from the lineup.
    I think, for most little girls, the whole Princess thing is just about dressing up. Little boys do it, too, only they don't want to look like a prince; they want to dress like Peter Pan or Captain Hook. What kind of implications does that have?
    Speaking of princes...if the Disney movies are sexist, it swings both ways. True, the princesses are expected to be sweet and perfect and gorgeous, but the princes are just expected to be handsome and rich. Prince Charming and Snow White's prince are great examples of this; Phillip and the Beast, on the other hand, are awesome. While the first two are characterized only externally, the latter two at least have a personality (however idealized Phillip's may be).
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• Magical Memories fanzine

I will come back later and state my faves and not so faves, but I have to say Ducktales the movie was badly done. It was a theatrical movie, I saw it in the theater... maybe it translates better on a small screen, but Disney did a lot of farming out the work to smaller countries for this film and it really showed on the big screen; parts of the outlines on scrooges face would actually dissappear!!! The beginning sequence is great (animated in japan, you can tell by the line quality where it switches over), but the majority of the film is very poorly animated. And I dont know why in the heck they did the genie in the lamp story when they had already done one on the tv show far better. There were still lots of great carl barks stories that could have been adapted for a full length movie and they went with this??? Scrooge is my favorite character of all time and I was highly dissappointed, the 5 part tv series premier was far and away better.

• A Little Rabid

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile
    Speaking of princes...if the Disney movies are sexist, it swings both ways. True, the princesses are expected to be sweet and perfect and gorgeous, but the princes are just expected to be handsome and rich. Prince Charming and Snow White's prince are great examples of this; Phillip and the Beast, on the other hand, are awesome. While the first two are characterized only externally, the latter two at least have a personality (however idealized Phillip's may be).
    Sorta makes you wonder what really happened to Aladdin after he got married, now, doesn't it?

• Que que no-tu-rah.

Favorites (in order): Pocahontas, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Fantasia, Bambi, Snow White

Least Favorites (in order): Aristocats, Robin Hood, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Oliver & Company
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

•   
    • Minion

Well, my single most hated movie that has come out of the Disney Studio is "The Return of Jafar..." It is the sort of film they like to show in hell...

The Animation is Bad.
    The Music is Bad.
    The Jokes are not funny.
    The Plot doesn't make sense.
    The Characters are not conistant.
    The Dialogue is innane.

It showed that Katsenberg and Eisner didn't like to listen to Animators initially... Katsenberg warmed up because he at least realized that he had to adjust his manifesto... Eisner didn't and just recently fired everyone and produced Twice upon a Christmas (UHG... Mickey's CG ears make my brain hurt), Home on the Range (those cheap Yo'dell song sequences that are mirrored in the next bad movie), The Three Muscateers (Simply awful with the acception of the fact it brought back Camilla the Cow...)

I mean, you can argue any other film with vigor, but I think this movie is one we all can agree on... There is no redeeming features in the Return of Jafar... Any questions? No? Good.

• A Little Rabid

^ Actually, I'm quite fond of 'Forget About Love'.
    But, yes, it wasn't too great. I liked King of Thieves a lot better... maybe because Williams returned as the Genie.

Aw, but The Three Musketeers was just for the point of being amused. I thought it was simple, sweet and enetrtaining. The duet between Clarabell and Goofy was just glorious!

• Disney Freak

I bought the Bambi DVD last night and on the DVD I saw a preview for, a straight to DVD RELEASE BAMBI #2! WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT TO WALT???
    Alex

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." Walt Disney

My Flickr: Flickr.com/agoldman
    My Twitter: Twitter.com/al3xg
    My Facebook: Facebook.com/al3xg

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mousekiteer
    Aw, but The Three Musketeers was just for the point of being amused. I thought it was simple, sweet and enetrtaining. The duet between Clarabell and Goofy was just glorious!
    The major quam I have was that the story had nothing to do with classic book "The Three Musketeers!" I don't mind if you alter the story to make it more palatable... The Music is all rewritten Public Domain symphonic works that all have been used before... There is no particular flow to the story telling... It used techniques employed in "Home on the Range" which shows you how cheap and freakish HOTR was...

And you are being judged by the featurette "Jack & Beanstalk" from "Fun & Fancy Free." It kept true to the story and added to it... There was a flow to the movie. The musical sequence as the beanstalk was growing at night was very cleaver and worked beautifully... You can't match that great escape sequence... Or Dina Shore as the harp...

I am not saying that "The Three Musketeers" is the worst Disney film... Even with the Fab Five... "Once upon a Christmas" and "Twice upon a Christmas" both own that spot... But considering the compitition? It is bottom of the barrel...

But I still say the worst Disney movie I have EVER seen was "The Return of Jafar..." I am still in therapy over being forced to watch it...

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Alex3231
    I bought the Bambi DVD last night and on the DVD I saw a preview for, a straight to DVD RELEASE BAMBI #2! WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT TO WALT???
    I said the same thing... The truth is that Eisner has driven out of the company everyone who has had a decent idea... He risks nothing... One flop, the man doesn't trust you again... And there is no incentive for success...

Does Eisner realize he made mistakes? I think so, because he made too many enemies... and he doesn't heed to the Caesar creedo "keep your friends close and keep your enimies closer." This years slate of live action movies shows promise... But not so for Animation... I bet you Chicken Little will not be the success he hopes... Particularly after Robots is released next week...

I know how Disney can restore the animation department... The first step is Eisner MUST LEAVE the company.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567