• =)

Question Haunted Mansion movie music

Hey guys. I have two questions regarding Mark Mancina's lovely score to the 2003 Haunted Mansion movie. Perhaps someone can help me.

1. I know that Disney released a 20-minute suite of music from the score on a demo CD. Does anyone know where I can find this to purchase? All I can find is the "Haunted Hits" CD that includes a measley 6 minutes of Mr. Mancina's original score.

2. At one point in the score, Mr. Mancina makes use of a female choir shouting without definite pitch. Do any musicians here know how to notate this shouting? I would also very much like to know what words they are shouting, and in what language...it sounds very devilish...

Thanks for your help on yet another esoteric subject.

• =)

Re: Haunted Mansion movie music

Please?

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to Question 1. I seem to remember 2 soundtrack CD's being released (one with pop songs and one with score), but I may have been dreaming. All I've seen lately is the pop song CD.

As far as notating the shouting, it's usually not something that is "notated" in the literal sense. The composer will usually specify the number of beats or bars and describe the sound s/he is trying to achieve. I would guess that the composer in this instance was also conducting the orchestra and chorus, so he would have simply worked with the singers until the desired effect was achieved. (Of course, this is assuming that it was done "live" as opposed to something that was created electronically.)

Is the shouting section on the pop song CD or just in the movie? I've loaned my DVD out to my parents for the time being, but if it's on the CD, let me know the approximate minute:second and I'll take a listen to it.

Hope this helps a little.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• =)

Thanks for the reply. There were indeed two CDs released--the official soundtrack has the subtitle "Haunted Hits" and 13 of the 15 tracks aren't heard in the movie at all. The other is a demo CD with a 19 minute, 10 second suite. Just one track, edited together from various parts of Mark Mancina's score, but almost twenty minutes worth of it. The official soundtrack contains the overture and bits of "going to heaven" scene, but it's only 6 minutes of score. I can't find much of any information on the demo CD, although I found this image of the jewel box. I was hoping someone on these boards might know where I could find a copy...

The chanting/shouting choir is heard in the official "Haunted Hits" soundtrack. It's in track 14 ("Overture from the Haunted Mansion"), starting at about 1:59. For eight measures, we hear choir, violin I, a big low brass section, and chimes. This is the part where Master Gracey is running down the stairs to find his unfortunate bride, as the clock chimes 13 o'clock.

I highly doubt it was done electronically. It doesn't sound synthesized (although gratuitously amplified) and the choir is speaking words in some language. Perhaps they're just syllables meant to sound evil. It works, in any case.

I'm actually transcribing the whole overture by ear. It's time consuming (and I have my Haunted Mansion floor plan project AND a digital painting of Hawaii to work on, too), but I enjoy it a lot.

• Be-Bop Bear

Ok, I'll take a listen and see what I hear..umm..I mean, hear what I listen to...or...ummm...you know what I mean!
    Avenue Q

• Circle of Ancients

There actually was an "official" score made on CD that was intended to be released for retail.

Here are the tracks and the times.

1. The Haunted Mansion - Disney Logo - Opening Title (3:5
    2. Manipulating the Buyers (1:45)
    3. Take Off for the Weekend (0:36)
    4. Whacking a Spider (0:30)
    5. Phone Call (1:01)
    6. Drive to the Mansion (0:44)
    7. Can't Get In (1:09)
    8. Gates Open (1:02)
    9. Dead People in the Backyard (1:09)
    10. Entering the House (3:36)
    11. Meeting Edward Gracey (0:52)
    12. The House Haunts Me (2:37)
    13. No Leaving Tonight (1:59)
    14. Ramsley Scare (0:10)
    15. To the Study (0:41)
    16. Confiding in Mr. Evers (1:00)
    17. Secret Passageway (2:32)
    18. Ghost Ball - Chasing Emma (2:32)
    19. Jim in the Passageway (0:45)
    20. So Many Memories (1:49)
    21. Following Ghostball (0:31)
    22. Against My Better Judgement (3:41)
    23. Emma Tells Kids the Story (2:09)
    24. Ramsley's Coming! (1:25)
    25. Meeting Leota (2:23)
    26. Spinning Table - Chased By a Marching Band (0:42)
    27. Dad We Have a Problem (1:09)
    28. Jim Finds Out What Ed Wants (2:55)
    29. My Way (2:32)
    30. Wedding Dress (0:47)
    31. Passage to the Dead (1:20)
    32. Entering the Passage (1:36)
    33. Sarcaphogus Reveal (0:17)
    34. The Crypt Part 1 (1:20)
    35. The Crypt Part 2 (3:24)
    36. You Got the Key? (0:40)
    37. Taking Leota (0:1
    38. Don't You Remember? (2:23)
    39. The Trunk Letter - Jim & Ramsley Fight (3:43)
    40. Jim's Locked Out Pt. 1A (0:14)
    41. Jim's Locked Out Pt. 1B (0:35)
    42. Jim Locked Out - Ramsley Threatens Kids Pt. 2 (1:41)
    43. Never Fail (1:15)
    44. Try Again - Rescue - Sara Runs to Jim (3:49)
    45. Get Away From Her (2:22)
    46. Sara Passes Out - Going to Heaven - Vacation At Last (5:24)

The problem is that nobody can seem to locate it. It was never officially released to the public by Disney, but apparently (at least one copy) does exist somewhere... I wish I had it.

As for the 20 minute-one track deal, it has very little to no Grim Grinning Ghosts on it. Sometimes these do pop up on eBay though, but they go rather high (sometimes over $100). The problem is that these were made for Award consideration, and were not intended to escape into the general public, and when they do, Disney is right on their tails making their existence almost as rare as the full score.

Good luck with your search!

• Be-Bop Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding
    The problem is that nobody can seem to locate it. It was never officially released to the public by Disney, but apparently (at least one copy) does exist somewhere... I wish I had it.

As for the 20 minute-one track deal, it has very little to no Grim Grinning Ghosts on it. Sometimes these do pop up on eBay though, but they go rather high (sometimes over $100). The problem is that these were made for Award consideration, and were not intended to escape into the general public, and when they do, Disney is right on their tails making their existence almost as rare as the full score.
    Interesting. One of those things that makes you wonder why TPTB do what they do.
    Avenue Q

Notation-wise, the standard is an "x" in place of a notehead to denote that kind of spoken-word effect, and any other articulation and dynamics will apply, not to mention "!" will get the point further across if that is the effect you're after. Rhythm can and more often than not is fully notated, as is the sound on Macina's score (I'm hearing quarter-rest, eighth-eighth, quarter, quarter-rest patterns).

Re: that actual choral writing, it sounds like it could be synthesize; the writing is percussive and generally used for effect, not hard to do as it would be for, say a sung vocal line with lyrics. Not to take away from the great writing or anything, but I think it's entirely possible it was synthesized. I do hear some definite synth-choir samples in the overture towards the end now; possibly all-synth, or synth to sweeten, etc.

Mark Mancina and/or his agency DID press some CDs for consideration and for gifts to family friends. Not sure what to tell you, ask around, search around, you know the deal, but it does exist. I have seen and heard it. Good luck.

• =)

Thanks for the replies, guys. Aura of Foreboding--I HAVE TO GET THAT CD! I don't like the music in the movie as much as it might seem, but I'm eager to get my hands on as much of it as possible. Where did you find this information, and do you have any idea where I could find more info on it? (EDIT: Found it. Just the cover, right?)

That choir notation information is very interesting, Surfinmuse. Thanks for helping me out. I still don't think that particular part is synthesized because of the clarity and acoustic feel to the syllables, but I agree that a few other parts use synthesized chorus. The most obvious example of this is a wordless soprano solo to the tune of Grim Grinning Ghosts. This part plays right as we read the words "Based on Walt Disney's Haunted Mansion", 4 bars before the shots of the hanging Master Gracey. Curiously, it's NOT synthesized in the movie, only on the CD.

Perhaps there are other synthesized parts, but I'm still pretty sure that those are real human voices shouting in the 8 bars I asked about.
    Last edited by Datameister; 08-21-2005 at 10:09 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Aura of Foreboding--I HAVE TO GET THAT CD! I don't like the music in the movie as much as it might seem, but I'm eager to get my hands on as much of it as possible. Where did you find this information, and do you have any idea where I could find more info on it? (EDIT: Found it. Just the cover, right?)
    I actually got the track information secondhand from someone who got it from Disney. I found a member of a message board who owns the CD during a Google search way back in 2003. I don't know any more information about the CD since the thread was pulled by the message board service, because he was allegedly emailing people the tracks. I don't know if he was lying when he said that he owned it, but I know that Disney did provide a track list before the CD was cut from distribution.