•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Lets Hope this isn't true....

Hold Judgement until it has been investigated.----
    ----------------

HONG KONG - The Walt Disney Co. said Friday it has hired an auditor to investigate claims that its Chinese contractors pay workers below minimum wage, demand excessive overtime and cheat labor monitors by faking pay slips.

Disney said it has asked the nonprofit firm Verite to probe allegations by the Hong Kong-based Students and Scholars Against Corporate Misbehavior, a new group aimed at protecting Chinese workers' rights, in its report titled "Recovering Mickey's Conscience."

The operator of one of the factories named in the report, Hong Kong-based Nord Race Paper International Ltd., denied some of the accusations, saying it fully complies with Chinese labor laws.

The allegations come less than a month before the Sept. 12 opening of Hong Kong Disneyland, which Disney hopes will draw throngs of tourists from neighboring mainland China.

"Disney and its licensees will work closely with Verite to ensure a thorough investigation of these claims and take the appropriate actions to remediate violations found," a Disney statement said.

It said that it had previously found and addressed international labor standard violations at some factories identified in the Hong Kong group's report, and that those offenses were not as serious as the latest claims.

The report, released Thursday, said the Nord Race factory in the southern city of Dongguan, which makes Disney stationery, paid workers 2.69 Chinese yuan (33 cents) an hour until June, when it promised to raise the rate to Dongguan's minimum of 3.43 yuan (42 cents).

But the factory put off paying workers their June salaries until the end of August, said the report, which claims to be based on worker interviews.

It said Nord Race workers allegedly put in 383 hours in March, exceeding the 204-hour legal limit.

The factory also failed to triple hourly pay on holidays as required, the report said.

At the Hung Hing printing factory in Shenzhen, run by a Hong Kong company of the same name, workers put in 12-hour days but were only paid for 10, the report said.

It also said that industrial accidents are common at the Hung Hing factory. A machine reportedly compressed a worker to death in 2002, and a falling piece of equipment crushed the waist of another worker in a nonfatal mishap in 2005.

The report also claimed that factories coached workers on how to answer auditors' questions.

The Nord Race factory allegedly issued fake time slips while concealing the real ones showing illegal hours, the report said.

Nord Race said in a statement it abides by Chinese labor laws, paying workers the required minimum hourly wage of 3.43 yuan (42 cents) and capping work hours at 204 a month.

In a response to the allegation that it coaches workers before audits, Nord Race said its workers are poorly educated and the company explains their rights, such as maternity leave, to them. It didn't address the other concerns.

A woman who answered the phone at Hung Hing Printing Group Ltd. in Hong Kong said the company's head was out of town and no one else could comment. She declined to give her name.

The Associated Press also faxed the report to the labor department in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong, where the factories are located. It didn't immediately respond.

The Hong Kong activist group wants Disney to use nonprofit auditors, make public a list of its contractors and their addresses, and announce its findings on labor abuses and industrial accidents.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Lets Hope this isn't true....

I started my other thread about cheap labor because of this incident. Now this incident has not been proven yet, but just whenever I read anything about cheap labor, I really get ticked off. That is also why I started my other thread.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I now label all of the CEO's as pathetic people who are selfish & arrogant. I would even tell that to Eisner if I ever saw him.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

It's called "Accountability." You hear King George Dubya talk about it all the time, usually when he is on the Golf Course with Ken Lay (ENRON) and His Brother Neil (Siverado Savings and Loan)

Of Course OL' Goergie did a bang up job with HARKIN OIL (look it up!) An Oil Company GW ran into bankrupsy in Midland Texas, but was Bailed out by the SAUDI ARABIAN Royal family! (Why, do you ask would the Saudi Royal Family bail little Georgie out? BECAUSE IT WAS 1990 AND BIG GEORGIE WAS PRESIDENT! Comes in handy to do a 'favor' for the presidents son, huh?)

ACCOUNTABILITY. made in China.

----------------------------------------------------

I think it is a product of the Baby Boomer Generation in power right now too. From GW to the CEO's, the boomers are a VERY "ME!" oriented generation.
    designing Golden Parachutes and fall guys, stepping on pions, and other ruthless behavior is all the norm right now, not working for the common good.

Society is only as strong as the weakest link in the fence. I think they skipped that chapter in bussiness school.
    Last edited by PanTheMan; 08-19-2005 at 06:23 PM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

This won't necessarly hurt Disney, as long as they force the contractors to make good on what the owe the workers. It all depends on how it is handled.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    This won't necessarly hurt Disney, as long as they force the contractors to make good on what the owe the workers. It all depends on how it is handled.

I agree. I do hope if any wrongdoing is found, it will be righted, and those responsible will suffer the consequenses.