Thread: Christine

• So!

Christine

Ok, I have this movie on DVD. It's based on Stephen King's novel, and opened in 1983. I enjoy watching it for it's music and of course the car! The 1958 Plymouth Fury looks so good in this film. I skip over to the good shots of the car and great music whenever I pull it out. I just wanted to hear your thoughts on the movie..and the book. I haven't read the book and I'm wondering if I should. Thoughts?

• Queen of Randomness

Re: Christine

So you're saying that you actually have seen a movie

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

The book is SO MUCH BETTER than the movie! With a few exceptions, Stephen King novels are often brutally mangled on film. He is one of my favorite authors, so I'm biased, but I say, read the book first! The movie leaves out a few key elements that may have you scratching your head. And that Plymouth Fury is the car of my wettest wildest dreams, I want one so bad.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• So!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGal
    So you're saying that you actually have seen a movie
    Why does everyone always say that when I make a thread in here?

• Queen of Randomness

It's the first movie thread I've seen of yours. I'm going to have to sit you down and force you to watch several hours and the best movies ever. You're missing out here.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• Reaver of Souls

I'm going to have to go out on a limb and disagree with Sunnygirl here about seeing the movies... If you want to enjoy the movies, I say see them first, then go read the books. While you're reading, you'l be saying to yourself, "OH! Now I get it!" about things that weren't quite clear but weren't glaringly frustrating in the movies. The biggest reason I say see the movie first, is that it is absolutely true about the books being better. They are. 100% of the time. Often by a huge margin. If you read the book, then see the movie, you're setting yourself up to hate the move. Only some of the older movies are good enough to stand on their own. Christine is one. A few others are The Shining (of course), Cujo, The Dead Zone, Carrie, and Firestarter. I liked all these movies, even though they aren't as good as the books. The more recent movie adaptations just seem to be awful. And don't even get me started on that abysmal miniseries of It. Ugh!

There are a few movies in the works that may be really good, such as The Talisman, Bag of Bones, Desperation (can they make this one without The Regulators?) Nightmares and Dreamscapes and a long-rumored adaptation of the short story The Sun Dog. I've got my fingers crossed, but my hopes set realistically low, based on recent track records....

Just as a side note, if you heaven't read Cujo, you should. It's an underrated book, and King's writing from the point of view of this poor dog it heartbreaking. This isn't an evil dog, or even a mean dog. It's a good, loving, loyalanimal, slowly driven insane by Rabies, fighting a losing battle for his own mind. I felt more for the dog in this book than for any of the people. The movie is good for totally different reasons, but you never connect with Cujo on that level in the film. It's a shame...
    Last edited by Reaver; 08-19-2005 at 04:02 PM.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• That's Hawt

I loved Christine! You definitely should read this book ... it's one of my favorites behind The Eyes of the Dragon. At least Murph has good taste in the movie he HAS seen!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• So!

I think that I'm going to buy the book this coming September, I'll probably read it for some required reading in my english class.

• So!

Change of plans....lol
    My mom ended up buying it for me today....yay