Thread: 'Dark Shadows'

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Dark Shadows'

IESB Exclusive: Director and Writer Named for Depp's DARK SHADOWS!

Written by Robert Sanchez
    Monday, 02 June 2008

DARK SHADOWS is in development over at Johnny Depp's Infinitum-Nihil and Graham King's GK Films along with Warner Bros. It is a feature based on the '60s daytime supernatural soap opera.

While no director, writer or cast has yet been announced, the film is based on over 1,225 episodes of the television series dating from 1966 to 1971. Dark Shadows was a highly atmospheric, spooky soap that featured gothic horror staples like vampires, monsters, witches, werewolves, ghosts and zombies.

This weekend, the IESB exclusively learned the names of the people set to bring this project to life.

While interviewing GET SMART director Peter Segal this past weekend in Beverly Hills, he spoke briefly about writer John August. Segal says August, who is writing BILLY BATSON AND THE LEGEND OF SHAZAM for Segal over at WB, is jumping back and forth between Tim Burton's DARK SHADOWS and his SHAZAM script trying to work on both films at the same time due to a back log of work after the writers' strike earlier this year.

So, while we can't confirm the rumors of Depp starring as Barnabus Collins in DARK SHADOWS, the IESB has confirmed that TIM BURTON is attached to direct and JOHN AUGUST has been brought in to write the adaptation for the film.
    http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...4997&Itemid=99

Johnny Depp lights up 'Dark Shadows' -7/26/07
    Depp lights up 'Dark Shadows'
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Re: 'Dark Shadows'

Sweet.

I actually even liked the 1991 revival series, although it was short lived.

• Circle of Ancients

This should prove interesting. I hope Burton decides to keep some of the original music, as it is vital to the show. Since Burton is involved, it might mean that Elfman is brought on to score. I hope he uses some of Bob Cobert's themes throughout as they have been used in every single production of the show since 1966.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I hope this movie doesn't end up being overly serious. Something more campy might be appropriate, considering the original series was rather low budget. A little overacting would be appropriate.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Oh, how I loved this show as a teenager. I lived for 4 PM weekday afternoons.

I missed that first thread you did about Johnny Depp playing Barnabas.

Considering everyone involved, this should be good. I am a happy camper.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I hope this movie doesn't end up being overly serious. Something more campy might be appropriate, considering the original series was rather low budget. A little overacting would be appropriate.
    Good point, but I'm sure Burton doesn't want another Mars Attacks on his hands.

Personally I loved that movie, and totally got where he was going with it. Sadly, most other people didn't.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    The original series was so great because everyone looked as if they took everything so seriously on screen. Some took it really seriously, which made it seem melodramatic at times. The plotlines were the things that were a little on the melodramatic side, especially after they repeated some of them. (The one that I had no problem with being repeated was the Barnabas-Josette story. That was the basis of the entire show. I still can't get enough of it, especially Josette's music box. Great composition Robert Cobert did for that.)

Elizabeth Collins Stoddard: "I am not interested in your ghost stories, Barnabas. There are no such things as ghosts, even though three months before we were just haunted by them."

Barnabas Collins: "Elizabeth, there are. You have to take the children out of the house. The spirits will want to possess them. They want to take over Collinwood! Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I'm a vampire after all. Oh wait, you haven't figured that out yet, have you?"

Maggie Evans: "Excuse me, Mrs. Stoddard, Barnabas..."

Barnabas: "Josette!"

Maggie: "What did you say, Barnabas?"

Barnabas: "Josette, you have come back to me!"

Maggie: "Now, Barnabas. We have been over this one hundred times. You even kindapped me and found out I am not really Josette. When will you stop with this insane hallucination?"

Barnabas: "Never. You will always be my Josette. Come here, I want to bite you again."

Dr. Julia Hoffman: "BARNABAS!!!!! NO BARNABAS!!!! NOOOOOO!"

Quentin Collins: "Good evening, cousins, even though you are not really my cousins. Rather, you are my decendants. I just got done hauting you a few weeks ago, but now I am alive. Go figure."

Elizabeth: "Silence! I have had enough of all of you! Barnabas, go to your coffin! Maggie, go to Josette's room! Julia, give Quentin a sedative!"

It was the funnest show ever, and the acting talent was top notch. I have no idea who will ever be able to take over the roles of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, Maggie Evans, and Julia Hoffman. Joan Bennett was a movie star in the truest sense. Kathryn Leigh Scott was just so great as Maggie, and Grayson Hall's performance were ingenious. If Johnny plays Barnabas, I am certain he will follow the Jonathan Frid format. At least I hope he does. Jonathan Frid will always be Barnabas, but Johnny should be able to pull it off.
    Last edited by Aura of Foreboding; 06-05-2008 at 06:15 PM.