• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'The Incredible Hulk'

New 'Hulk' boasts better effects, smashing foe

Updated 3h 27m ago

Rhythm & Hues/Universal Pictures/Marvel Studios
    Movie muscle: The green guy in The Incredible Hulk, out June 13,
    is computer-generated. Edward Norton plays Bruce Banner, Hulk's alter ego.

ILM/Universal Studios
    Pale green: Ang Lee brought Hulk to the big screen in 2003.
    The movie made $134 million domestically,
    but some fans were puzzled by its brooding tone.

Photos by Rhythm & Hues/Universal Studios/Marvel Studios
    Smash brothers: Tim Roth, below, turns into Abomination, above,
    who can wreak as much havoc as Hulk.

By Scott Bowles
    USA TODAY
    June 6, 2008

LOS ANGELES — Hulk want do-over.

Just five years after the brute with anger management issues and forgiving pants hit — and splattered against — the big screen, The Incredible Hulk returns to theaters June 13 in one of Hollywood's boldest mulligans.

The movie, this time starring Edward Norton as the scientist belted by gamma rays, breaks Hollywood's golden rule of remakes (studio executives prefer they be call "re-imaginings"): Give audiences time to forget the first one.

Instead, it's the filmmakers who are disregarding the original. And they're wagering $150 million that audiences will follow suit.

If they're wrong, it could sink franchise hopes for the big green guy, who made for a popular 1970s television series with Bill Bixby and is behind only Spider-Man and X-Men in Marvel comic-book popularity.

But translating Hulk onto a 30-foot movie screen has been tricky, even though his 9-foot, 1,500-pound body would seem a perfect fit.

"It's different than, say, Batman or Iron Man," says Rob Worley of Comics2Films.com. "Those movies have human beings in costumes, which gives you a personal connection with the hero. With the Hulk, you have to turn him into a computer-generated character. That can be a fine line to walk."
    Many felt Ang Lee tripped over it in 2003 with his brooding and violent take on the comic-book icon. The film took in $134 million domestically — not bad, but hardly the moneymaker Universal had expected.

Worse, tough reviews and savage fan reaction appeared to mark the big-screen end of the emerald beast.

But in the comic-book world, heroes die and return all the time. And Marvel, which has become one of the most bankable studios in the industry, decided to try what they do with their comic books that are stuck in a rut: slap an adjective like "ultimate" or "incredible" in the title, put a No. 1 on the issue, and give it another shot.

"It's unprecedented for a comic-book movie," Worley says. "And if you don't follow the industry or comic books, you run the risk of confusing people who think they just saw that film."
    full article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...ble-hulk_N.htm

'The Incredible Hulk' heading for Canada! Save Yourselves! - 2/26/07
    'The Incredible Hulk' heading for Canada! Save yourselves!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'The Incredible Hulk'

I thought this wasn't really a remake, nor true sequel, as much as it is just another story, right?

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Yeti View Post
    I thought this wasn't really a remake, nor true sequel, as much as it is just another story, right?
    Yes, it's another Hulk story. From a few interviews that I read the story is more based on the old TV show than it is on the comics.

the old TV show though campy, is one of the last decent anthology series to come around in a long time (in no small part to the warm and troubled persona created by Bill Bixby).

even if the movie stinks, at least now we have the complete Bixby series on DVD this time around.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm looking forward to seeing this especially Ed Norton as the Hulk.

Hopefully it will do well at the box office. To me the trailer looks tantalizing.

• Shablagoo!

I am very excited for this film and the cameos it contains.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm also looking forward to this one. Can't be any worse then the Ang Lee one.

I like that they used the tv theme in the trailer. I also like Ed Norton, but as with the Ang Lee film. I don't like the CGI Hulk... Give me Lou Farigno any day, and the CGI Tim Roth evil Hulk looks dopey (no offensive to Snow White's Dopey should be inferred or implied)

Still as previously noted, it can be any worse than Lee's hulk dogs

I just saw a new commercial on TV featuring Tony Stark's appearance.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

THE INCREDIBLE HULK - TV SPOT #8 [ Spoiler ]
    (6.7.08):
    Flash Player
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Yeti View Post
    I just saw a new commercial on TV featuring Tony Stark's appearance.
    I saw that too!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

heck, it can't be any worse that the first one made.

• MC State Comptroller

I have been skeptical about this movie for a long time, but last night i saw a trailer i had not seen and two words made me want to see this opening day

HULK SMASH

What i understand is that they are using Lou Ferigno's vocal track for the hulk. If that's they case, they've got me hooked.

My friend also got a sneak peak of it and called me. All he said was "See It!!! and pay close attention to Tim Blake Nelson's character in the film" and he is a pretty good judge of comic book films in the past.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I didn't care to see this movie until I saw the trailer in front of "Iron Man" and the most recent TV spot. I'm sold.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

First industry reviews:

New U.S. Release

The Incredible Hulk

'The Incredible Hulk'

BY Todd McCarthy
    Variety
    June 11, 2008

What seemed, in theory, the least-necessary revival of a bigscreen superhero emerges as perfectly solid summer action fare in “The Incredible Hulk.” Revisiting the character Ang Lee and James Schamus put under a psychological microscope in 2003 to mixed results, Marvel, Universal and several of the same producers have repackaged one of their better-known stable stars in a straightforward actioner that delivers the goods with no unnecessary frills or digressions. Happy to give the intended audience what it wants, this loud and quick-moving production will shake loose ample coin in all markets.

To anyone wondering why the Marvel team would so soon embark on a makeover of the growly green giant after all the angst endured on the previous one, the answer is provided by the final scene, in which the star of the most recent Marvel B.O. smash unexpectedly turns up to ask, “What if I told you we were getting a team together?”

New film thus marks the first step in the label’s plan to begin shuffling its major characters into films together, a la some of the comicbooks -- a scheme that seemingly required the rehabilitation of the Hulk from something that came to be regarded as perhaps too rarefied, not of a piece with the studio’s other cinematic stalwarts.

Viewed in this utilitarian light, the new film gets its job done. It’s not especially exciting or surprising, lacking the cheek and sheen of “Iron Man” and the opulence and star power of the “Spider-Man” and “X-Men” series. But it’s better than the “Fantastic Four” pictures and “Daredevil” and manages to shift the title character from a hopelessly conflicted Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to a wannabe good guy.

It’s all par-for-the-course cinematic demolition and destruction, staged efficiently and with a hint of enthusiasm by helmer Louis Leterrier (the “Transporter” films, “Unleashed”) and penned with sporadic wit by Zak Penn. Visuals lean toward the dark and murky, but editing by three -- actually six -- hands is fleet, and Craig Armstrong's ever-present score is simultaneously bombastic and helpfully supportive of the action. Effects are in line with pic’s generally pro but not inspired achievements.
    Norton gives indications of perhaps wanting to go places with the role that remain off-limits this time around (he no doubt would have been happy teaming with Lee), but he’s kept largely on the straight-and-narrow, to decent effect. Tyler is no more or less memorable in the femme lead than Jennifer Connelly was in “Hulk,” while both Roth and Hurt happily underplay by a bit what might have been expected of them in their villainous roles.
    Full review at:
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...ryid=1263&cs=1

Film Review: The Incredible Hulk

Bottom Line: More impersonal and less philosophical than Ang Lee's "Hulk," this new one still delivers the action goods.

By Kirk Honeycutt
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Jun 11, 2008

Edward Norton in "The Incredible Hulk"

Opens: Friday, June 13 (Universal)

It turns out Marvel Studios knows how to make solid movies out of Marvel Comics. The production arm of Marvel Entertainment is 2-for-2 in 2008, hitting home runs with "Iron Man" and now "The Incredible Hulk." "Iron Man" has more wit and style, but "Hulk" is a neat thrill ride with an intelligent script by Zak Penn and smart, well-paced direction by the French director of "The Transporter" series, Louis Leterrier.

The film does represent a sea change from Ang Lee's "Hulk" in 2003, which had the temerity to delve into Oedipal conflicts, repressed memory and scientific hubris. This movie emphasizes action over introspection, but star Edward Norton, who reportedly tinkered more than a little with the script, makes certain the hero still broods over the curse of his cells poisoned by gamma radiation.

The film is poised to carry the weekend buoyed by an unbeatable combination of buzz and hype. The franchise is safe -- a worry because of the sharp drop-off after the opening weekend of Lee's film -- and at the end, the Marvel folks hint that they might be thinking of a way to team Iron Man with the green fighting machine.
    Full review at:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...id=11242&imw=Y

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast