• "Always On The Move..."

Just a Reflection on Disney 2-D Animation

Just got through watching Mulan and Lilo & Stitch back to back with family and friends. We all wound up teary-eyed at certain parts of both films, marveled at the emotions (both hysterical laughter and above-mentioned tears) that both films brought forth and the unbelievable quality of the animation itself. (Watch for the reflections in the ancestors monuments in Mulan and the reflections of the hula dancers in the waxed wooden floor in Lilo & Stitch)... which brings me to what we all agreed to.

That no matter how incredible CGI can be (and trust me, I'm a rabid SW and Monster's Inc fan, so I can truly appreciate the magic that CGI can do) there is something that happens with GOOD Disney 2-D that just can't be touched. A feel, a look, I really can't describe it. All I know is that with George Luca's love of original Disney Animation and his forming his own animation company ...perhaps a bit of the old magic will come back to the big screen. Yes, I do enjoy Clone Wars, but they are very stylized..but I'm referring to Disney-Style animation.

I guess for myself and those that are sitting next to me, watching me write this and giving their imput, ...we are all feeling down and depressed that such films as Mulan, Lion King, Lilo & Stitch, in addition to all the classics will be no more.

Any feelings on this out there? Any hope for the future? We all just wanted to express our thoughts. Anyone?

•   
    • Minion

Re: Just a Reflection on Disney 2-D Animation

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    Any feelings on this out there? Any hope for the future? We all just wanted to express our thoughts. Anyone?
    If Valiant only garners 6.1 Million, I think it means bad animation is just that... Bad animation... It has nothing to do if it is 2D or CGI... If Aladdin was released today, it would be a hit...
    Check out my other blog:

• Que que no-tu-rah.

Re: Just a Reflection on Disney 2-D Animation

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    If Valiant only garners 6.1 Million, I think it means bad animation is just that... Bad animation... It has nothing to do if it is 2D or CGI... If Aladdin was released today, it would be a hit...
    Let's hope that Disney begins to realize this - and fast. What a bone-headed decision to completely axe hand-drawn feature animation. I still can't believe they they really did it. Are there mad men running the show?
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?