Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valiant Effort?

• Minion

Valiant Effort?

Estimated Box Office of Valiant is 6.1 million coming in at a disappointing 7th for the weekend...

Wow... I am completely underwhelmed.... I hope Disney learns their lesson now...

CG Animation alone combined with the name Disney Brand is no longer able to carry the box office...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 08-21-2005 at 11:28 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

• ROFLCOPTER

Re: Valiant Effort?

Is this a Fact?
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Goofy
    Is this a Fact?
    Projected Box Office from Variety posted this morning....
    Check out my other blog:

• ROFLCOPTER

Too bad...I bet 'Chicken Little' will get less...
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• Minion

Finals came in, it did even worse than the estimate... the BO was 5.9 million...
    Check out my other blog:

• Having a Grand Day!

Ouch.

I really do hope this is a slap in Burbank's face.

• Suspended

When you don't market a film, it doesn't do business. I don't know what Disney's percentage take is on this movie. If it's some flat amount or some small percentage, then there's no or too little incentive. If Disney had put up half the expenses for half the revenues (see current Pixar contract), then maybe it will have some incentive to market the Hell out of it.
    Disney's giving Pixar an idea of its marketing muscle, if properly flexed.

• Minion

Considering it hat placement at over 2100 theatres, and had the Disney brand on the film... I think that there is more damage done really than just financial loss...

Plus everyone was screaming at how bad the film was... (most reviews where mixed to negative...)
    Check out my other blog:

• there's always my way...

So far IMO Disney should only produce stright to dvd flicks. They no longer can carry that weight of movie making as it once did. And dont say POTC was a Disney movie cause it wasnt in its entierly, it was a Bruckheimer film.

I am willing to wager that Stich 2 will go the way of Lion King 1 1/2 .
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• On Autopilot

There's a simular topic in the entertainment thread. I still can't believe how bad this movie did. The only true advertising I remember was a big poster at DisneyLand and that was it

And you know what else?

WHY ISN'T ANYBODY DOING SPECIALS ABOUT THE 50TH?! It's Disneylands 50th Birthday for crying out loud! I think a documentary about the park would have made more money!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Larxene1959
    There's a simular topic in the entertainment thread. I still can't believe how bad this movie did. The only true advertising I remember was a big poster at DisneyLand and that was it

And you know what else?

WHY ISN'T ANYBODY DOING SPECIALS ABOUT THE 50TH?! It's Disneylands 50th Birthday for crying out loud! I think a documentary about the park would have made more money!

Yeah, I knew that it would, it popped up... but it really does focus on some business questions as pointed today in the Motley Fool analysis...Pixar, Come Back!

Pixar, Come Back!
    By Rick Aristotle Munarriz (TMF Edible)
    August 23, 2005

When is a pigeon a turkey? When it's Valiant, Disney's (NYSE: DIS) latest box-office bomb in theatrical animation. The movie generated a measly $6.7 million in ticket sales over the weekend. Opening in seventh place, the computer-rendered flick wasn't even the most popular draw in the genre of bird-related films. March of the Penguins had a more generous box-office showing even though the nature documentary has already been screening at the local multiplex for two months.

Last week, I took Disney to task for trying to trick moviegoers into seeing the Valiant. Disney partnered with upstart Vanguard Animation to distribute the film, but buried its own name in the trailer. Instead, it chose to emphasize that Vanguard chieftain John Williams was also the producer of Shrek and Shrek 2. I figured that Disney was trying to cash in on the connection to lure in unsuspecting patrons, but perhaps it was simply trying to avoid the blame.

If you've seen John Cusack's Say Anything, this is the part where Disney stands in front of Pixar's (Nasdaq: PIXR) house, holding up a boombox blaring vintage Peter Gabriel. That's because Disney is going to miss Motley Fool Stock Advisor recommendation Pixar after the two hook up one last time for Cars come May.
    Check out my other blog:

• In a Rocket Rods daze @_@

Valiant doesn't interest me at all. It looks so much like a DreamWorks SKG CGI film which are pathetic. Except Shrek I guess.
    Rocket Rods--Ride The Road To Tomorrow

• Suspended

"...In your eyes..."

• Earth Intruder

I thought Valiant wasn't a Disney film, only a Disney-distributed film. In the same way that Pixar movies aren't "really" Disney films.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

On Motley Foo's website (http://www.fool.com) you'll find a couple of very intersting opinion columns by Rick Aristotle Munarriz. (You will have to "register" by giving them your email address)

The first deals with the fact that Disney "buried" their name and logo in the trailers for Valiant... almost as if they were ashamed of the film or are realizing that the Disney brand has lost some lustre.
    http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05081603.htm

The current column discusses Valiant's box-office failure, Disney's cinematic decline and Disney's relationship with Pixar.
    http://www.fool.com/news/mft/2005/mft05082301.htm

In my opinion: Disney is in real trouble regarding both live-action and animated film making. Based on what they've produced lately, it would be better for the "brand name" if they'd just stop and do nothing for awhile. Disney stock continues to tumble as a result. I don't feel good about "Chicken Little." (uh... this is the 21st Century... doesn't the trailer featuring a break dancing chicken seem a little passe??) Like a lot of the stuff they've been churning out of their CGI factory lately, it just doesn't seem very "Disney".

When the studio returns to making films instead of "deals"... and when they return to creating animated art instead of "franchises"... things might change. Until then, maybe a few years of losses could be a good thing in disguise. It might force the bloated corporation to sell off some of it's under-performing assets and focus more on its core business.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast