• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Give My Favorite Radio Station A Listen...It's Going Away In A Few Days

Okay, I'm biased because I used to work for this station, and after what I'll just call a mid-decade meltdown I'm back, if only in a part-time off-air position.

In my opinion, when Lee Marshall launched 1450 the Boomer in 2001, he put together the best oldies (or as he prefers "Heart and Soul of Rock And Roll") station I'd ever heard.

The "Boomer" refers to our "Baby Boomer" generation, and there are lots of fun references to things us Boomers remember that are no longer around.

There are live shows in the early morning and late afternoon Pacific Time but the station's fun to listen to with great music 24/7. An oldies station need not keep playing the same 200 songs over and over!

But the station's fun for young people too.

Our corporate parent is pulling the plug, in the next few days, for a format that's similar, but empasizing more 70's and without some of the fun nuances that's made the Boomer special.

So while you can, give it a listen and let me know what you think.

Listen live at 1450theboomer.com

Thanks,

Barry

PS...I put this here because there is no "radio" sub-forum. Can we make one, and if so, how?
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 06-16-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Re: Give My Favorite Radio Station A Listen...It's Going Away In A Few Days

Is it too late to petition to keep the station open?????

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    Is it too late to petition to keep the station open?????
    Sadly, yes. And the guy who put it together, put all the music together, and is the morning host is leaving.

Just posted this so you could enjoy it a few days.

-- Barry

PS...These days the decisions are ultimately made by a radio conglomerate with headquarters 3,000 miles away. Thats the way for most radio stations now.

By the way, you didn't necessarily hear this from me, since it hasn't been announced on the air yet. And I still need my job!
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 06-16-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Darn!!!!!!!!

• insufferable know-it-all

Another one bites the dust...

I feel for you Barry. Ever since Fabulous 690 went off the air, radio has been a little sadder and less interesting for me.

I've noticed the "oldies" stations playing more and more music from my lifetime, and I keep thinking jeez, I'm not old enough for "my" music to be oldies! When I listen to oldies, I expect 50's, 60's and the occasional 40's tunes.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

It is terrible to see fantastic radio stations like this bite the dust. I feel your pain Barry. We haven't had a station like the Boomer in the Atlanta area for several years now. I was spoiled rotten with a local station that had the "largest oldies library in the Southeast" or so it claimed. Not only that but the station provided coverage of local high school athletics and it was essential listening on Friday nights because without it I would not be able to follow my own school's team (since I lived too far to be able to attend the games).

I feel a great loss for you Barry.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Dreams do come true

Give Satalite Radio a try, I've had my Sirius for 2 1/2 years and I can't stand to listen to regular radio anymore because of way too many commercials. After the cost of the radio it's about 12.99 a month. Plus the radios are getting cheaper everyday.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I'll admit, I do not listen to AM radio just because the sound quality is so sucktastic. This did look like it was a good station - maybe they should move over to pm.

Sorry you are losing a good "friend", Barry.

• Banned User

I would recommend anyone who hasn't gotten satellite radio or can't afford the monthly fees (or just plain doesn't want to pay them), and isn't interested in internet radio to consider purchasing an HD Radio, which, like television is doing, is radio broadcast digitally. This allows a station to have more than one channel for programming. It's the most significant advancement in radio broadcasting since the introduction of FM stereo more than 50 years ago. HD Radio technology enables AM and FM radio stations to broadcast their programs digitally Ė a tremendous technological leap from the analog broadcasts of the past.

The Same Unmatched Fidelity as Your Digital Music

• FM stations now with CD-quality sound
    • AM stations now with FM-quality sound
    • Crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion
    • Hear the Difference

Ever wished you could get the same quality of sound from your radio as you do from your CD? Or that your radio signal didnít fade out just when you wanted to listen to the game? Now you can. Get the kind of sound that was previously reserved for your HDTV, CD system or MP3 player. Get it on your radio. And get it for free!

• CD-quality sound
    • Crystal-clear reception
    • No station drop-off
    • No static, hiss or audio distortion

Find stations in your market: http://www.hdradio.com/find_an_hd_di...io_station.php