Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,210

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Nice. I criticize the message rather than the messenger, as per the rules, and I get personally attacked in return.

    Yeeeaah. The thing with that is the message is actually FROM the messenger so like.... yeeaaahh awk-ward. Maybe you need to agree or disagree with posts rather than calling them names? And if you took my response as a personal attack instead of chuckling at how absurd it was, then that's another issue entirely.

    And as Hollywood1939 has said, you pretty much agreed with me. Perhaps you disagreed with my word choice? If so then you chose extremely poor words to say so. And then there's the part about you agreeing with what I said. Hmmmm...


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  2. #17

    • Happy Memories
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,282

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    I really don't care about your little bickering amongst yourselves, but I am getting really sick of a certain attitude regarding this particular awards category. I realize this is a Disneycentric board, but just because one of the songs from the big Disney movie didn't get the win this year doesn't make it any less deserving a winner. While I do see the logic in the theory of multiple nominations cancelling each other out, I truly do not believe that is what happened this year. Falling Slowly is a beautiful song from a fantastic movie, yet it keeps being put down as if it stole the win away from Enchanted just because most of you had never seen or heard of the film Once. Well based on the audience reaction I saw the night of the Oscars, the Hollywood community HAD seen the film and was very supportive of it. It won because the Academy voters deemed it worthy as the best song for this year. SO just because it wasn't YOUR favorite song, and just because it wasn't from a Disney film, that DOES NOT mean that the only way it could possibly have won was because Enchanted had 3 songs cancel each other out. That's the attitude I see over and over again when this topic comes up and it's really quite annoying.

  3. #18

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,210

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    I really don't care about your little bickering amongst yourselves, but I am getting really sick of a certain attitude regarding this particular awards category. I realize this is a Disneycentric board, but just because one of the songs from the big Disney movie didn't get the win this year doesn't make it any less deserving a winner. While I do see the logic in the theory of multiple nominations cancelling each other out, I truly do not believe that is what happened this year. Falling Slowly is a beautiful song from a fantastic movie, yet it keeps being put down as if it stole the win away from Enchanted just because most of you had never seen or heard of the film Once. Well based on the audience reaction I saw the night of the Oscars, the Hollywood community HAD seen the film and was very supportive of it. It won because the Academy voters deemed it worthy as the best song for this year. SO just because it wasn't YOUR favorite song, and just because it wasn't from a Disney film, that DOES NOT mean that the only way it could possibly have won was because Enchanted had 3 songs cancel each other out. That's the attitude I see over and over again when this topic comes up and it's really quite annoying.

    I've seen Once. I honestly don't care for the song. But that's my own preference and opinion. Most certainly the majority of academy members did vote for "Falling Slowly" for the win. Maybe Enchanted got cancelled out, maybe it didn't. I'd actually be interested in seeing the numbers and how close the race is.

    In any case, I don't think it's too big of a deal but I don't think they should limit it either. Best songs nominated should be the best songs nominated. Period. If they cancel each other out, and it drives you nuts, so be it. It's what happens.


    The oscars is an awards program based on votes. If more than two songs from one film gets the most votes, then more than two songs should be nominated.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  4. #19

    • Happy Memories
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,282

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I've seen Once. I honestly don't care for the song. But that's my own preference and opinion. Most certainly the majority of academy members did vote for "Falling Slowly" for the win. Maybe Enchanted got cancelled out, maybe it didn't. I'd actually be interested in seeing the numbers and how close the race is.
    I appreciate and respect the fact that you actually saw Once and formed your own opinion. It just seems that many of the opinions expressed on this board are of the "Disney got robbed" variety without giving the other side a fair shot. I too would love to see the actual numbers. I mean, I truly did enjoy Enchanted. I'm not a hater on that film. I just really appreciated seeing the little guy win when up against the juggernaut of the Disney machine. It gave me faith in there still being some hope that the best artistic expressions really do have a fair shot no matter how great or small the funding behind them.

  5. #20

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,195

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    ORWEN: Well, I don't mind saying that I believe 'Disney got robbed'! I heard that gawd awful song called Falling Slowly and it just stank and stunk all over the place. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it--no need to apologize for it either!! How anybody could like Falling Slowly over ANY song from ENCHANTED boggles my mind.

    ORGOCH: Didn't know ya even HAD a mind, sister!

    ORDDU: It all boils down to a matter of taste, really. While many may have preferred Falling Slowly, I have to admit I couldn't see the appeal of it, either; certainly not when comparing it to 'So Close', for example. Maybe, next year, I should try sleeping with several of the Academy judges just before the Oscars...

  6. #21

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,210

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    I preferred "how do you know" or whatever it's called.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  7. #22

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Twin City
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I preferred "how do you know" or whatever it's called.
    Werd.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

  8. #23

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Funny how you called it an amazingly dumb comment when your whole paragraph just proves what Cohoteboy said. So other movies get a chance to get nominated right?
    His comment about "affirmative action" was the amazingly dumb comment. The rest of my post was my own thoughts on the new ruling. If those thoughts happen to match up to what Coheteboy was saying, that's all well and good. Still makes the "affirmative action" remark a dumb one, as I see it.

  9. #24

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Yeeeaah. The thing with that is the message is actually FROM the messenger so like.... yeeaaahh awk-ward. Maybe you need to agree or disagree with posts rather than calling them names?
    OK, look, apparently, you took what I said personally. For that, I'll apologize, and ask you nicely to pretty please, with sugar on top, stop taking comments that are not directed at YOU PERSONALLY (as opposed to words that you say) in a personal manner.

    What I said was "what an amazingly dumb COMMENT." Not "what an amazingly dumb person who made this comment." Not "what an amazingly dumb poster." I was criticizing THE COMMENT. And the rules give me that right; in fact, they require me to criticize the comment (or the post, if it's the post I disagree with), not the poster.

    Obviously the comment came from you. I think we all can see that quite clearly, since, you know, you were the one who said it. Now, perhaps you think that you're incapable of making dumb comments. If so, then I'm afraid I'm going to have to disabuse you of that notion by reminding you that, despite what you may have been told, you're not a perfect human being. None of us are. I'm certainly not, and I've never claimed to be. But at the same time, when I see a dumb comment, whether it's made by me or someone else, I'm not going to say that it's a brilliant comment when it's not, just because you might happen to be an oversensitive person who cannot handle ANY amount of criticism of the things you say here and take such criticisms AS A PERSONAL INSULT.

    And no, calling the comment dumb was not out of line. I thought it was a dumb (i.e., ignorant) comment, and totally unnecessary to the nature of the discussion. I'm sorry if stating so bruised your apparently fragile self-esteem, but I wasn't aware that you would be so deeply wounded from so mild a criticism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And if you took my response as a personal attack instead of chuckling at how absurd it was, then that's another issue entirely.
    I agree, it is another matter entirely, because I was criticizing your COMMENT, not YOU. You were criticizing ME, however, because you didn't like the fact that I said your comment was dumb, and you thought (perhaps using pre-school age logic) that lashing out at me was the best course of action to assuage your bruised ego. That's very definitely another matter entirely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And as Hollywood1939 has said, you pretty much agreed with me. Perhaps you disagreed with my word choice? If so then you chose extremely poor words to say so. And then there's the part about you agreeing with what I said. Hmmmm...
    No, again, it was the "affirmative action" comment that I thought was dumb. Not the rest of what you said. That's why I very pointedly worded it as "that was an amazingly dumb COMMENT." I was criticizing the COMMENT. The singular remark within the post. Not the entire post itself.

    Now, I don't know if you're an amazingly dumb person with the IQ of a block of cement, or a MENSA genius. I really don't. You might be either. But I do find it rather amazing that you seemingly cannot distinguish between a personal criticism, a criticism of your entire post, and a criticism of a singular comment within that post. As far as I'm concerned, I made myself abundantly clear the very first time. I don't honestly know how much clearer it could have been.

    So, again, sorry that you misunderstood. Sorry that you didn't fathom what I was referring to. Sorry that your ego was bruised because of what I said. Sorry that every word that dropped from your lips was not met with a barrage of hugs and kisses. Can we bury this already?

  10. #25

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    I really don't care about your little bickering amongst yourselves, but I am getting really sick of a certain attitude regarding this particular awards category. I realize this is a Disneycentric board, but just because one of the songs from the big Disney movie didn't get the win this year doesn't make it any less deserving a winner. While I do see the logic in the theory of multiple nominations cancelling each other out, I truly do not believe that is what happened this year. Falling Slowly is a beautiful song from a fantastic movie, yet it keeps being put down as if it stole the win away from Enchanted just because most of you had never seen or heard of the film Once. Well based on the audience reaction I saw the night of the Oscars, the Hollywood community HAD seen the film and was very supportive of it. It won because the Academy voters deemed it worthy as the best song for this year. SO just because it wasn't YOUR favorite song, and just because it wasn't from a Disney film, that DOES NOT mean that the only way it could possibly have won was because Enchanted had 3 songs cancel each other out. That's the attitude I see over and over again when this topic comes up and it's really quite annoying.
    Very good point.

  11. #26

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,210

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    OK, look, apparently, you took what I said personally. For that, I'll apologize, and ask you nicely to pretty please, with sugar on top, stop taking comments that are not directed at YOU PERSONALLY (as opposed to words that you say) in a personal manner.

    What I said was "what an amazingly dumb COMMENT." Not "what an amazingly dumb person who made this comment." Not "what an amazingly dumb poster." I was criticizing THE COMMENT. And the rules give me that right; in fact, they require me to criticize the comment (or the post, if it's the post I disagree with), not the poster.

    Obviously the comment came from you. I think we all can see that quite clearly, since, you know, you were the one who said it. Now, perhaps you think that you're incapable of making dumb comments. If so, then I'm afraid I'm going to have to disabuse you of that notion by reminding you that, despite what you may have been told, you're not a perfect human being. None of us are. I'm certainly not, and I've never claimed to be. But at the same time, when I see a dumb comment, whether it's made by me or someone else, I'm not going to say that it's a brilliant comment when it's not, just because you might happen to be an oversensitive person who cannot handle ANY amount of criticism of the things you say here and take such criticisms AS A PERSONAL INSULT.

    And no, calling the comment dumb was not out of line. I thought it was a dumb (i.e., ignorant) comment, and totally unnecessary to the nature of the discussion. I'm sorry if stating so bruised your apparently fragile self-esteem, but I wasn't aware that you would be so deeply wounded from so mild a criticism.

    I agree, it is another matter entirely, because I was criticizing your COMMENT, not YOU. You were criticizing ME, however, because you didn't like the fact that I said your comment was dumb, and you thought (perhaps using pre-school age logic) that lashing out at me was the best course of action to assuage your bruised ego. That's very definitely another matter entirely.

    No, again, it was the "affirmative action" comment that I thought was dumb. Not the rest of what you said. That's why I very pointedly worded it as "that was an amazingly dumb COMMENT." I was criticizing the COMMENT. The singular remark within the post. Not the entire post itself.

    Now, I don't know if you're an amazingly dumb person with the IQ of a block of cement, or a MENSA genius. I really don't. You might be either. But I do find it rather amazing that you seemingly cannot distinguish between a personal criticism, a criticism of your entire post, and a criticism of a singular comment within that post. As far as I'm concerned, I made myself abundantly clear the very first time. I don't honestly know how much clearer it could have been.

    So, again, sorry that you misunderstood. Sorry that you didn't fathom what I was referring to. Sorry that your ego was bruised because of what I said. Sorry that every word that dropped from your lips was not met with a barrage of hugs and kisses. Can we bury this already?

    Wow. Look at you. Look at what you wrote. Nobody here wants to read that. I don't want to read that. So yes, bury it.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  12. #27

    • Making my own Mousekteers
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arizona... too far from Disneyland
    Posts
    1,036

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Just to jump right in here, I have to agree with Xharryb about people who disregard Falling Slowly. It was a very well written song and the soundtrack from that movie was amazing. Would I personally have it on my ipod.. no. Do I have the songs from Enchanted... yes. But Falling Slowly still was just as deserving as the music from Enchanted. Comments to the contrary irritate me if they are made by someone who hasn't seen the movie and doesn't know what the impact of the music is.

    To the topic: I think these new rules are a desperate attempt in the Academy to stop popular voting from ousting the truly good songs. The Academy is having the same problem in Foreign Film too. People aren't really caring about excellence (which is what the Oscars are allegedly about) they are voting based on popularity. This isn't the People's Choice or the MTV awards it's supposed to recognize exceptional work in film. I don't think it's the right decision but it does hearten me that they are trying.

    I'm much, much, much more concerned about the ruling that says only 3 song writers can be credited with the win. Say, for instance, U2 wins for song. Which one of them gets left off? They write everything together. I've seen songs where as many as 5 people contributed something to it. By limiting the number of people able to receive the award they are violating the rights of the artists. It's a stupid rule.

    I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

  13. #28

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,505

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    So much drama in here!

    Anyway, I agree with the Academy's decision. Sweeney Todd amazingly did not get a single song nominated while Enchanted got three. The worst Sweeney Todd song in my opinion is far better than the best Enchanted song.

    Perhaps if Enchanted didn't hog this category perhaps there would have been room made for Joanna, Not While I'm Around, or My Friends. Sondheim is a genius and its a reall shame that his songs were completely ignored.

  14. #29

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Posts
    13,137

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Perhaps if Enchanted didn't hog this category perhaps there would have been room made for Joanna, Not While I'm Around, or My Friends. Sondheim is a genius and its a reall shame that his songs were completely ignored.
    Had any of those wonderful songs actually been written exclusively for the film this would be an excellent point:

    Three items of note were altered in the Original Song rules. First, while there continues to be no limit on the number of songs from a given film that can be submitted for consideration, no more than two songs from any one film may be nominated for an Academy Award.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

  15. #30

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,505

    Re: Oscars' new 2 songs per film nomination rule

    Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Had any of those wonderful songs actually been written exclusively for the film this would be an excellent point:
    Ok. My apologies for overlooking that. Has this category always been for original song? Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but I tought that West Side Story and Sound Of Music had won nominations or Oscars for best song.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Enchanted songs at the Oscars
    By royaldisneyfan in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 09:29 AM
  2. And the Oscar Nomination Goes to...
    By mamabot in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 07:05 PM
  3. Curse of DarKastle Earns VES Nomination
    By Hakuna Makarla in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2006, 07:01 AM
  4. That's So Raven gets an Emmy Nomination
    By laman6 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 12:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •