• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Sleeping Beauty' newly restored premiere at AMPAS 7/18/08

Academy Awakens Newly Restored
    “Sleeping Beauty”

Beverly Hills, CA – As part of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Gold Standard screening series, the classic animated film “Sleeping Beauty” will be presented on Friday, July 18, at 7:30 p.m. at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills. Hosted by film historian Leonard Maltin, the evening will feature the premiere screening of a newly restored digital version of the 1959 film by Walt Disney Studios. Following the screening, a team from Walt Disney Animation Studios including Dave Bossert, creative director of special projects; animator Andreas Deja; Theo Gluck, director of library restoration and preservation; and Terry Porter, sound department chief and head rerecording mixer will participate in a panel discussion about the film, which earned an Academy Award® nomination for Music – Scoring of a musical picture (George Bruns).

Walt Disney envisioned “Sleeping Beauty” as his masterwork, and his nearly decade-long effort to bring the 17th century fairy tale to the screen at the then-shocking cost of $6 million resulted in an exquisitely detailed animated fantasy. With the enchanting fairies Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, the beautiful Princess Aurora, her valiant Prince Phillip, and the evil witch Maleficent all modeled on extensive footage of live actors, the human characters are remarkably lifelike, and Eyvind Earle’s visual and color stylings realize Disney’s conception of the film as a “moving illustration.”

This new digital restoration of “Sleeping Beauty” comes from 4K scans of the camera original successive exposure Technirama negative. The 7.1 audio remix was created from the Disney Studio’s 35mm mag elements, including the original 3-track stereo music masters, which were recorded in Berlin in 1958.

Original artwork from “Sleeping Beauty” is showcased in “Ink & Paint: The Art of Hand-Drawn Animation,” a new exhibition that explores the creative process of pre-computer animation, now on display in the Academy’s Grand Lobby Gallery. Encompassing all stages of the filmmaking process – from storyboards and color keys to layouts and cels – the exhibition showcases artwork from the 1950s through the 1990s, including the work of Eyvind Earle. The exhibition will be open for viewing following the screening.

Tickets to “Sleeping Beauty” are $5 for the general public and may be purchased online at www.oscars.org, in person at the Academy box office or by mail. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The Samuel Goldwyn Theater is located at 8949 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. All seating is unreserved. For more information, call (310) 247-3600.
    http://www.oscars.org/press/pressrel.../08.06.18.html

• Banned User

Re: 'Sleeping Beauty' newly restored premiere at AMPAS 7/18/08

The AMPAS always has the best priced shows in Southern California.

I'm a bit curious, though - how many digital restorations has the film had now? I have the 2003 Special Edition DVD, and now this year we have the Two-Disc Platinum Edition coming in October. Is this print that AMPAS is showing the digital restoration for the latter DVD release? And if so, how does it differ from the previous release's restoration?

The previous VHS/ Laser Disc (before DVD) was also digitally restored, so I too have to echo your thoughts Retrocool.

• Minion

ORWEN: I just wish I could be in Beverly Hills for the showing of my favorite Disney film with my favorite Disney Princess (I guess I should apologize to the rest of the cast of The Black Cauldron for saying all this.) Anyway, if they've been restoring SLEEPING BEAUTY so many times, it should last forever!! And it deserves to. I'm glad it's finanlly getting the praise it should have gotten back in 1959 when so much of the world was in a coma at the time and couldn't see the real beauty that was in front of them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Just an FYI: Tickets go on sale 6-25-08 at 9:01am PDT

I am really surprised that the El Capitan isn't hosting this event.
    They must not be wanting to lose out on WALL-E box office $$$'s.

To my knowledge, this is the second restoration. The first was for the widescreen VHS release. The later DVD was trumped as being "fully restored", which was true, it just was the prior restoration done for the old VHS release.

Since they're releasing it in High Def, it stands to reason that a second restoration would be of benefit.

The 7.1 sounds interesting (no pun intended), especially if they take care not to over-do it, like their "Home Theater Mixes". I really hope the home release also includes the original stereo though. Even a three channel mix mirroring the masters would do. I'm really not wild about watching in surround a movie that pre-dates surround. I a huge supporter of original sound mixes, no matter how dated they may be. Not everything need to be in surround.

I'd love to be there, but I doubt I'd make it to LA.

• Fortuosity!

Don't worry, the new release will include the original theatrical audio mix. Sleeping Beauty was however recorded in 6 track stereophonic sound so to mix it into 7.1 wouldn't be that hard and would probably sound better than the 5.1 mixes on mono films like Cinderella, Bambi and Peter Pan.

Your also right about this being the second time around, although I'm sure some minor tweaking was done to the print of the film for the original black diamond VHS release.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I am really surprised that the El Capitan isn't hosting this event.
    They will have one as well with the traditional panel discussion too on August 28th at 7PM.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 06-28-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Oo-de-lally

I love seeing the classics on the big screen. I hope to take my little niece and nephew to see the showing.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Circle of Ancients

Too bad it's not a nationwide re-release. I would love to see that.

• Making my own Mousekteers

This is my absolute favorite Disney movie and I'm so sad that I won't be able to go see it in theatres. It's an artistic triumph. Why oh why can't Disney re-release it before christmas so that I could see it on the big screen at least once?

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Too bad it's not a nationwide re-release. I would love to see that.
    Regular nationwide re-releases of classic films (Disney and otherwise) are long overdue for a comeback, especially in digital cinemas (where there's no worry about a pristine print wearing out or getting damaged).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    This is my absolute favorite Disney movie and I'm so sad that I won't be able to go see it in theatres. It's an artistic triumph. Why oh why can't Disney re-release it before christmas so that I could see it on the big screen at least once?
    Because Bob Iger and the shareholders (lol, that sounds like a band - "Ladies and Gentlemen, from Burbank, California, Bob Iger and the Shareholders!") don't love us the way Unca Walt did.

• Making my own Mousekteers

Wow, Bob Iger and the Shareholders.... I'm picturing something really cheesy with straw boaters and bad covers of 50's tunes... hehehe

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.