• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'High School Musical' lures toddlers, too

'High School Musical' lures toddlers, too

By LEANNE ITALIE
    Associated Press
    June 20, 2008

NEW YORK Talya Appelbaum recently had a High School Musical birthday party. She got special balloons and a slice of cake decorated with the spoiled Sharpay, her favorite character because "she's with Ryan."

Jemma Fox has an HSM karaoke microphone and trading cards of the East High gang.

Talya and Jemma are 3 years old. They have tot-sized insights but large obsessions with the wildly popular Disney franchise that has jumped from TV show to hit song factory to merchandising mania since 2006, when the Wildcats first took kid culture by storm.

But it's high school, and now senior year at that. Do Talya and Jemma need to "bop to the top" or demand "all things fabulous?" And what about the kissing, the backbiting and the big-kid fashions?

It's everywhere

With the October release of the third HSM movie this one in theaters rather than on the Disney Channel parents of extra young aficionados are debating whether the phenom is innocent dance-'til-you-drop fun or not quite appropriate.
    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....=2008806200327

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: 'High School Musical' lures toddlers, too

Ugh, another kid lured in by the evil HSM movie....
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

I think the key word is "lures."

Someone save the children. Say NO to Pre-School Musical!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Bornieo Goes Bananas View Post
    Say NO to Pre-School Musical!
    If they could kick in another $100 million or so to the 'HSM' money train there'll be onesies and Wildcat binkys raining from the sky by the holidays.
    Be sure to get your royalty check BgB!!!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

I really can't imagine HSM actually being popular in Middle and High School (escpecially High School). When kids get into Middle School they like to think they are cool and tough, HSM seems to be the exact opposite of cool and tough. 3 year olds seem to be the main audience for HSM to me.

• Yes?

I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones. As the mother of a 3 and 7 year old, neither has shown any interest in any of this HSM stuff. My 7 year old's best friend is a HSM/Hannah Montana fanatic and as hard as she tries she can't get my daughter to pay any attention to it. And as far as my 3 year old....she stil watches Blues Clues and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse thankyouverymuch! I think a lot of the over exposure to the younger ones has to do with the parents. I have been guilty of being sucked into a scene or two and a catchy song from this stuff but it's a passing thing as I go back to doing my laundry. I think some younger parents who think this is hip and cool might be exposing their littler ones to it because they like it. Now before anyone gets bent out of shape, I am not saying younger parents are being bad parents, just that age differences affect parenting style, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Pilot EdForceOne

The people that hate the HSM platform are the 'too cool' kids and adults that try to analyze it.

Kids eat it up. My 4yr old can't read, but she can sing 2-3 songs from the movie. My 9yr old loves it as well. Even my booksmart, brainy 8yr old loves it.

They didn't get hooked at all (oblivious to it all) before HSM2. They insisted on recording Camp Rock too.

As much as adults slam it - the kids love it.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The people that hate the HSM platform are the 'too cool' kids and adults that try to analyze it.
    It's very generous an act to categorize it as too cool. A ticket on the backlash bandwagon doesn't even make a stop near the vicinity of cool. It just makes it appear as they have no actual understanding as to just how successful and influential the franchise has been for the WD Company. It also makes it appear that they have no access to the internet or television in their biodome, or just couldn't make that final cut in their own high school's production of "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown."

People of all ages, especially those who have watched the films with kids, obviously have gotten the message - simple entertainment. Not that different than when Judy & that other Mickey had those "Hey Kids, let's put on a show!" moments many years ago.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    It's very generous an act to categorize it as too cool. A ticket on the backlash bandwagon doesn't even make a stop near the vicinity of cool. It just makes it appear as they have no actual understanding as to just how successful and influential the franchise has been for the WD Company. It also makes it appear that they have no access to the internet or television in their biodome, or just couldn't make that final cut in their own high school's production of "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown."

People of all ages, especially those who have watched the films with kids, obviously have gotten the message - simple entertainment. Not that different than when Judy & that other Mickey had those "Hey Kids, let's put on a show!" moments many years ago.
    I find that offensive. I understand that the movies make Disney millions of dollars and that they will continue to for years to come. My beef, and probably most of the people who don't like High School Musical's beef, is it's quality and stars. Did you know that Zac Efron only sang a few verses in the first movie? Do you know how much money Disney spent to make the original? It's about quality and about how a majority, if not all of the main stars, will fade into obscurity soon. And another fresh face will take their place, and the entire chain will start over. This quote from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back fits this best:

The Internet's given everyone in America a voice, and everyone in American
    has chosen to use that voice to b*tch about movies. As long as there's a
    (HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL)movie, the Net-nerds are
    gonna have something negative to say about it.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I find that offensive. I understand that the movies make Disney millions of dollars and that they will continue to for years to come. My beef, and probably most of the people who don't like High School Musical's beef, is it's quality and stars. Did you know that Zac Efron only sang a few verses in the first movie? Do you know how much money Disney spent to make the original? It's about quality and about how a majority, if not all of the main stars, will fade into obscurity soon. And another fresh face will take their place, and the entire chain will start over. This quote from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back fits this best:

The Internet's given everyone in America a voice, and everyone in American
    has chosen to use that voice to b*tch about movies. As long as there's a
    (HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL)movie, the Net-nerds are
    gonna have something negative to say about it.

I agree.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    That is an untrue statement, I am in no way 'too cool' or even the beginning of 'cool' and I dislike the movie. I don't believe the movie is a quality production and they are putting the wrong idea into kids' minds, when the truth is that not everything has a happy ending. I'm only analyzing the movie on facts vs. fiction. It also irritates me how Zac Effron only sings one or two verses in the entire movie and very little credit is going to the person who deserves it, Drew Seeley.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    I'm only analyzing the movie on facts vs. fiction. It also irritates me how Zac Effron only sings one or two verses in the entire movie and very little credit is going to the person who deserves it, Drew Seeley.
    PSST, that wasn't Natalie Wood singing in 'West Side Story' either, should that film also be regarded as less than it is?

Efron would seem to have had more of a role in the second film (and 'Hairspray' for that matter) and would pretty much continue to share the central focus for the upcoming feature. What difference could it really be to you if the producers decided to mix vocals that better suited the original films songs?

BTW Disney pretty much made it up to the very talented Drew Seeley by putting him on the sold out U.S. and South American 'High School Musical The Concert' tours. He was my favorite performer on the show, extremely polished and a natural onstage.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    That is an untrue statement, I am in no way 'too cool' or even the beginning of 'cool' and I dislike the movie. I don't believe the movie is a quality production and they are putting the wrong idea into kids' minds, when the truth is that not everything has a happy ending. I'm only analyzing the movie on facts vs. fiction. It also irritates me how Zac Effron only sings one or two verses in the entire movie and very little credit is going to the person who deserves it, Drew Seeley.
    Then I think you should be having problems with nearly every hollywood movie..

'happy endings' and lipsynching and body doubles are pretty much fundamental ideas in producing movies.

You can't single HSM out for such disappointments unless you are ready to write off pretty much all major studio films
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Hey zac efron gives his best everytime he performs, I think people like him because he can act very well.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

I have three daugthers, ages 7, 5, and 3. They all love to watch things like Playhouse Disney and Winnie the Pooh, but they also love HSM too. They aren't mutually exclusive. My wife and I actually talked quite a bit about whether HSM was appropriate for their ages, but we decided it really was just harmless fun.

Every family is different though, and I respect others' opinion. For example, we let our girls listen to Hannah Montana music, but they don't watch the TV show. We thought that was just a little too "old" for them. We also didn't let them watch "Enchanted," which had too many complicated grown-up themes in our opinion. Every family has to make their own decisions, but HSM is just good clean fun for us. Biggest decision now -- my youngest, who actually turns 3 in August, has to decide if she wants her birthday party to be Cinderella, Ariel, My Little Petshop, or, you guessed it, High School Musical!
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast