• Banned User

Andrew Stanton Interview at CT.com

http://www.christianitytoday.com/mov...ewstanton.html
    The Little Robot That Could
    Pixar's Andrew Stanton first thought of WALL•E in 1994, and now it's hitting theaters. We caught up with Stanton to discuss his faith, creativity, and that lonely little 'bot.

by Mark Moring | posted 06/24/08

It is a wonderful love story. But at the same time, it seemed to have heavier social commentary than most Pixar films. It seemed like a story about fat, lazy, American consumers who don't care about the environment and …

Stanton: That's your interpretation, but that's not where I was coming from. I certainly see the parallels, but honestly, all those factors came from very different places. All my choices in the film came from what I needed to amplify the main point, which was the love story between these robots. The theme that I was trying to tap into was that irrational love defeats life's programming—that it takes a random act of loving kindness to kick us out of our routines and habit.

You could blame consumerism as one thing that's happening in this film, but there's a million other things we do that distract us from connecting to the person next to us and from furthering relationships, which is truly the point of living. So I came up with the idea that as WALL•E was picking up trash, it would have all these signs of humanity for him to rifle through, to get him interested in what humans were all about. I loved the idea of WALL•E finding something real. He was fascinated with the idea of living. And what's the point of living? Something real. He was a manmade object with something real inside him. And he found something real while surrounded by manmade objects. That just was poetic for me.

OK, but why were the humans on the space station all fat and riding around in their hovering lounge chairs?

Stanton: I wasn't trying to make the humans into fat, lazy consumers, but to make humanity appear to be completely consumed by everything that can distract you—to the point where they lost connection with each other, even though they're right next to each other. The reason I made them look like big babies was because a NASA guy told me that they haven't yet simulated gravity perfectly for long-term residency in space. And if they don't get it just right, atrophy kicks in and you begin to lose your muscle tone—you just turn into a blob of goo. For a while, that's what I did with the humans in the movie; they were just big blobs of Jell-O. But it was so bizarre, we had to pull it back. So I said, well, let's just make them look like big babies. That's where all that came from.

I wasn't trying to make some sort of mean-spirited comment on consumerism or today's society. I was going with just the logic of what would happen if you were in a perpetual vacation with no real purpose in life. So I went with the idea that we'd become sort of big babies with no reason to grow up. I definitely saw humanity as victims of this system that they were in. They were just big babies that needed to stand on their own two feet.

The last thing I'm going to do is try to make a message movie!

• Sock Puppet

Re: Andrew Stanton Interview at CT.com

Damage control.

Hayao Miyazaki, the director that many of Pixar's higher ups look to for inspiration, pulls the same BS. He claims to not place messages in his films and yet there is a clearly environmental message in them. Not that that's a bad thing.

I love this quote posted by GothicManor in some other thread:
    and the humans depicted seem a little like the stereotypical Disney fans... hmmm
    I'm going to love the commotion this is bound to cause once the weekend is over.

• Sock Puppet

What upsets me about this is that there shouldn't have to be damage control!

• Launch sequence engaged

People are looking into this way too much. Andrew Stanton's explanation is adequate and it makes sense when the woman realizes the world around her. She doesn't recognize the people to the left and right of her.

People jump on Stanton's case because "how dare he inject social commentary into a film!"
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

Last edited by Mike2D; 06-30-2008 at 11:33 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

I don't get what the big deal is anyway. Just enjoy the movie for what it is.

• Circle of Ancients

I don't get what the big deal is anyway. Just enjoy the movie for what it is.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Seems to be a common thread...

Something "Wall-E" discovers becomes the key to humans returning home to restore the devastated planet; however, writer-director Stanton insists he was not making an animated "Inconvenient Truth."

"I did not have an ecological message. I knew I was dealing with elements that basically match it, but that was never what I was pushing. The last thing I want is to be preached to when I watch a movie," he says. "I didn't mind that I was touching similar elements because it is not necessarily a bad thing to be associated with; but it was all basically to say 'everything else is going to benefit if you pay attention to relationships.' "

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    "...The last thing I want is to be preached to when I watch a movie," he says.
    You and me both, Andrew. Unfortunately my head still hurts from being hammered with message, message and more message in the last 4 reels of your film.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler