Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Teenager Struck, Killed by Six Flags Batman Coaster

Even if his family or friends read this, I'd still say that it was extremely stupid. Jumping into a ride area with a ride like that is like running around on the freeway with all the cars being unable to stop. If it's true that he tried to touch the ride as it passed, it would be akin to trying to grab the front bumper of a semi with no brakes at freeway speeds.

I feel sorry for the riders who witnessed it, and I feel really bad for Six Flags in this. They couldn't have been asked to do any more, and the fact that the media is now bringing up the accident they had from last year again and comparing the two in almost every article, this just can't be good for a chain that is really, really struggling as it is.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    don't get me wrong, I have much sympathy for family and friends, not to mention the riders who had to experience this. but unless, he had a mental problem that affects his judgement, that was a stupid thing to do. i'm sorry this is my opinion about the situation.
    No reason to say your sorry, you're right he did do something extremely stupid and foolish but occasionally these type of threads have gotten disrespectful. For you to say he did a stupid thing is 100% accurate.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    Can't wait to see what lawsuits are going to spring up from this. Heads are gonna roll.
    This is the second time a person has been killed underneath this coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia.

Personally, I think they were tying to grab other people's stuff while the ride was closed. We had scattered showers and a little lighting today. Batman: The Ride is one of the first coasters to reopen after a rain, but the one right next to it, Mindbender, is the very last. Reopening after a rain would explain nobody else being hurt, as the coasters test empty beforehand. That said, Batman: The Ride makes a very load roar.

• Making my own Mousekteers

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    Even if his family or friends read this, I'd still say that it was extremely stupid. Jumping into a ride area with a ride like that is like running around on the freeway with all the cars being unable to stop. If it's true that he tried to touch the ride as it passed, it would be akin to trying to grab the front bumper of a semi with no brakes at freeway speeds.

I feel sorry for the riders who witnessed it, and I feel really bad for Six Flags in this. They couldn't have been asked to do any more, and the fact that the media is now bringing up the accident they had from last year again and comparing the two in almost every article, this just can't be good for a chain that is really, really struggling as it is.
    Seriously, someone in the PR department at Six Flags has got to be hating life right now. You know that sooner or later someone is going to bring up a comparison to Disney's security and how this wouldn't have happened at the Disney parks. Which it probably wouldn't but still this is such bad juju for the Six Flags chain.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    No reason to say your sorry, you're right he did do something extremely stupid and foolish but occasionally these type of threads have gotten disrespectful. For you to say he did a stupid thing is 100% accurate.
    I understand but i wouldn't go any further than my previous comments and I in no way would deliberately disrespect the family. and just to make it clear, i'm not angry, i just didn't want to get into an arguement.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    Seriously, someone in the PR department at Six Flags has got to be hating life right now. You know that sooner or later someone is going to bring up a comparison to Disney's security and how this wouldn't have happened at the Disney parks. Which it probably wouldn't but still this is such bad juju for the Six Flags chain.
    Banksy successfully jumped the fence to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland and installed an inflatable dummy dressed as a Guantanamo Bay detainee without ever being caught. Disney has nothing to brag about. This sucks for Six Flags Over Georgia because it happened six years ago to a custodial employee. These two jumped over Six Flags' response to the previous incident.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Nevermind.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Goofy

how sad. just for some stupid hat. but still this is sad.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    This sucks for Six Flags Over Georgia because it happened six years ago to a custodial employee. These two jumped over Six Flags' response to the previous incident.
    Did this happen at SFOG? There was a similar accident at SFMM on Scream where the employee got hit. I think that one at SFMM was determined to be "Suicide by Coaster".

I haven't been to SFMM in awhile, but the stain from the bleach to clean up that one was still under the coaster last time I rode it.

As for the "Roar", your 100% correct. It's got that B&M roar without question.

• DLR

Where did the head go?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Did this happen at SFOG? There was a similar accident at SFMM on Scream where the employee got hit. I think that one at SFMM was determined to be "Suicide by Coaster".
    Yes, it happened at Six Flags Over Georgia. The employee went to clean up lost articles under the coaster while the park was still open. He was struck in the head by the leg of a 14-year-old girl riding in the front car. He was killed and her leg was snapped. It was deemed an accident, but the employee was working against protocol. In response Six Flags added additional fencing and signs to the area surrounding the coaster.

What happens now will be interesting, since the coaster is right there next to the parking lot. Barbed wire fencing, while unattractive anywhere else, would actually work at Batman: The Ride. It would just need to be an interior fence so that guests in the queue would not be faced with the temptation of seeing if it is real. This will probably also affect Superman: Ultimate Flight, which also gets quite close to the ground.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

According to the police and a statement from the amusement park, the boy and a friend climbed over two 6-foot fences -- the park perimeter fence and a second one surrounding the ride -- to get to the roller coaster. Park officials said there were numerous signs warning would-be intruders of the danger.
    "The areas where the individuals entered were clearly marked with signs marked 'restricted area. Authorized personnel only,' and a sign on a locked gate that read 'Danger zone. Do not enter. Authorized personnel only," park spokeswoman Hela Sheth said to reporters, reading from a prepared statement.

"It is still unclear why the two men were trying to gain access to this unauthorized area," Sheth said. She declined to answer questions at an evening news conference and did not return several telephone messages seeking additional information.
    "The area's clearly defined with signs," (Cobb County police spokesman Sgt. Dana) Pierce said. "It's very tragic that these individuals would decide to jump over the fence. It would be hard to imagine somebody not seeing the signs and jumping two fences."
    http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...ags_death.html

• Making my own Mousekteers

Seeing the signs and listening to them is two different things. Poor dumb kids. Why is it teenagers think they're immortal?

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• Hall Of Promise

A very similar event happened at then Paramount's Great America in Santa Clara, CA many years ago. A man jumped security fences to fetch his wife's hat under the then Top Gun attraction, which is a B&M inverted style roller coaster. The man was struck on the head by a rider's foot and killed. The rider's foot was also injured upon impact. I never thought I would hear this story again, almost identical.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    What happens now will be interesting, since the coaster is right there next to the parking lot. Barbed wire fencing, while unattractive anywhere else, would actually work at Batman: The Ride. It would just need to be an interior fence so that guests in the queue would not be faced with the temptation of seeing if it is real. This will probably also affect Superman: Ultimate Flight, which also gets quite close to the ground.
    While I've never been on that Batman, the Batman coasters actually have barbed wire fencing as theming on their inner queues. I've never thought about climbing up to test that it was real or not.

Then again, I'm not the type who would jump into a ride area, period.

And as for Disney not having things like this happen, it just isn't true. Disney simply has less things that could cause accidents like this, but the things they do have (People Mover comes to mind) have had sort of similar accidents where someone went where they weren't supposed to. They are sort of protected though with things like Space Mountain since it is indoors.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast