Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Teenager Struck, Killed by Six Flags Batman Coaster

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    I was actually thinking of before they got past both fences and into the actual ride area. I do not blame park employees, though. I'm simply allowing for the possibility that they could have been seen/stopped before getting that close to the track.
    They may very well have been seen, but it could have been too late to stop them. You can't very well expect Six Flags or anyone to post a security guard every couple feet to stop people from jumping the fence. If someone was 300 feet away and saw them do it, they could have been radioing for backup, calling the ride to stop the next train, or doing whatever they could have done to stop it from happening. According to the Roller Coaster Database site, the ride is a total of 2 minutes, long, probably over half is the lift portion. Even if he was noticed as the train was halfway up, the time that it would take for the employee to locate a phone, call the ride and have them hit the stop button would have taken longer than that. After that train drops off the lift, it's up to whomever is in the ride area to not be a moron.

Looking at the ride layout (I'm assuming this is the correct one?) there's only so many places the ride comes close enough to the ground to hit someone. You think you'd figure it out, standing between a couple of giant pylons with the track vibrating over your head... except, you really might not see the train coming. At SFGAm, B:TR has shrubs planted in the ride area. You should still hear the darn thing, though. Or else just, you know, not stand between the pylons.
    That's the correct layout, and you're right. In fact, if you look at pictures of the exact ride ( http://www.rcdb.com/ig421.htm?picture=4 is one), I only see a couple places where the ride gets close enough to the ground to actually strike someone. It's almost as if this person was asking for it.

On top of that, as others have said this ride roars as it goes around. Common sense (to me) would say either to stand where a pylon is or to lie flat on my belly if I think a train is going to come close to me. The fact this person didn't is just complete stupidity.

• Circle of Ancients

Yes, that's the right layout. Same as Batman at Magic Mountain and a few other Six Flags parks. Just different colors.

There are a few places where one could get struck, but only a few, and moving from those area's probably wouldn't be too hard.

I wonder if they should consider adding ivy or bushes like most of Disney's theme park fencing. It makes climbing regular fences much more dificult

• Disney Pinapple Princess

First, I feel horrible for the family. I hope they don't jump to blaming the park since it was an obvious error in judgement.

As far as disney's track record, All the books I have read that include deaths at disney parks note that most (not all) of the deaths are guest either being under the influence of something, or just doing something stupid, see Mousetales by David Koenig, also most have been during events like Grad nite, or church outings.

On a group outing with some friends, a friend of mine reached out to touch the side of the matterhorn and hit his arm. I chewed him out after because he could have lost his arm! But it would have been all his Dumb*** fault.
    *** Disney Pinapple Princess *** Cove Bar Crew - DCA** HELL YEAH!!!***
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4e8xunrnijrm.png[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disney Dorks of the world unite!

• Banned User

Ah, well. One less idiot in the world.

Before you go getting all righteous on me, I never did a dumb thing like this when I was a kid. Why not? Because I didn't want to get killed in an accident. Yeah, even way back then, doing things like this could get you killed, and we kids knew it.

• Making my own Mousekteers

Do those numbers take into consideration the number of guest that visit the park. Because, statistically, if you have fewer people coming to the parks then fewer people will be injured or die. Does SFOG get as many millions of people as DLR? I'm not trying to be snarky I'm just curious. I'd also be interested to know if the majority of the accidents at Six Flags were their fault or the guests fault. Disney has only been at fault twice in Disneyland (which was my point, twice in 53 years) how many of these other accidents were the fault of Six Flags?

If there is in Fact only a few places where the track gets close enough to touch the ground shouldn't it be easier to secure that area? Create Brick or Barbwire trenches where it passes through so that there is no way short of ripping yourself apart or blasting in to get to the area where an accident it possible?

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

What's up with stupidity and many young people these days? Today, ouside of the store I work for, some kids thought it would be pretty funny to act as if they fell off their bikes infront of oncoming traffic.

You know, as I said in the other thread, I feel sorry for the family, but I wish some people would realize how important it is to take care of themselves and realize that we don't have superpowers. We can be killed in a heartbeat, especially if we are not paying attention or using common sense.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

I think the stupidity of young people has been noted for eons.

Now that I am not young any more, I can say that young people are stupid too.

Still, it doesn't make it any less terrible that this happened. I feel sorry for the family and his friends. In my mind, he was killed by the primary symptom of youth: Stupidity.

It doesn't make the park responsible at all. They tried to keep people out. But a determined dumb*** is impossible to keep out.
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

That's sad. What he did was incredibly stupid, but you've gotta feel sympathy towards his family and friends.

Did any of guests see this actually happen? That would be a traumatic experience if you witnessed.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post
    That's sad. What he did was incredibly stupid, but you've gotta feel sympathy towards his family and friends.

Did any of guests see this actually happen? That would be a traumatic experience if you witnessed.
    Depending on how long the queue was, and where it was routed, people saw. Today there was a security guard posted in the queue, watching the second portion of the ride. If this happened where the security guard was standing, a very low portion, plenty of people potentially saw what happened.

• Circle of Ancients

The parents are looking into ways they can sue the park ... thoughts?

http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=8583003

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The lawyer representing the family of a teen who was decapitated by a roller coaster in Georgia is looking to find out if they can file a lawsuit against Six Flags Theme Park.
    More at the link ...

• Minion

My first reaction to this news item was that I felt badly for Six Flags. These articles always start out with the current details, but inevitably move on to past accidents at Six Flags parks, often creating an image of "this isn't the first time folks." That impression seems unfair given the track record shared earlier in this thread.

My second reaction was sadness for the kid, and a hope that other kids will remember this and perhaps be more careful and less stupid in their choices.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The parents are looking into ways they can sue the park ... thoughts?

http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=8583003

More at the link ...
    I believe stupidity never pays and with that being said, I hope whatever lawsuit they present falls through in court.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Yes, the kid did something extremely dumb and stupid. Try to remember though he has lost his life and I am sure his family and friends are devastated and would you want them reading your comments?
    completely agreed

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    My first reaction to this news item was that I felt badly for Six Flags. These articles always start out with the current details, but inevitably move on to past accidents at Six Flags parks, often creating an image of "this isn't the first time folks." That impression seems unfair given the track record shared earlier in this thread.

My second reaction was sadness for the kid, and a hope that other kids will remember this and perhaps be more careful and less stupid in their choices.
    The first incident is not exactly comparable. The incident six years ago involved an employee who was able to let himself into the area through the gate. That man was not trespassing. This kid first trespassed by skipping the park entrance, and then again when he entered a restricted area of the park.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast