Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Re: Teenager Struck, Killed by Six Flags Batman Coaster

Someone on another board that I'm a part of was a witness to this accident. Here's a little tidbit of what they said:

Basically, the kid died because his friend jumped the fences when it was safe, to pick up stuff other people had lost on the ride. There was alot of stuff there. But the victim lagged too far behind and didn't make it. He probably didn't even give a thought about the roller coaster, and was just trying to catch up to the boy he was with. If it was 2 seconds earlier or later, he would have made it.
    So sad. It's amazing how 2 seconds could've effected the outcome to this kid's life.

EDIT: There is more to this quote, but it's really text heavy and I'm not sure if I can post the link to it in here. Sorry.

Some of the remarks here are pretty callous to such a tragedy. True, he did make a judgment which cost him his life unfortunately. I pray that his family and friends will be able to get through this horrible ordeal. I also pray that we who are alive and well will think before we speak or act.
    "The only weapon against reality is your imagination."

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    Do those numbers take into consideration the number of guest that visit the park. Because, statistically, if you have fewer people coming to the parks then fewer people will be injured or die. Does SFOG get as many millions of people as DLR? I'm not trying to be snarky I'm just curious. I'd also be interested to know if the majority of the accidents at Six Flags were their fault or the guests fault. Disney has only been at fault twice in Disneyland (which was my point, twice in 53 years) how many of these other accidents were the fault of Six Flags?
    It depends on how you want to lay fault. As I mentioned before, people are much more likely to blame Six Flags for an accident than they are to blame Disney because of their reputation. If you look through the articles, other than people that were improperly secured in their ride vehicles or things that happened because of another guest, like the fire at Great Adventure that was accidentally lit in a room by a guest, you could say that Six Flags as a chain has only had one death that they were at fault for, which was the overturned raft and drowning at Six Flags Over Texas in 1999 when a raft got caught on one of the rapids things and flipped over. However, realistically if you look into this accident, the blame really did fall at the feet of the ride manufacturer who designed a product that could do such a thing.

If there is in Fact only a few places where the track gets close enough to touch the ground shouldn't it be easier to secure that area? Create Brick or Barbwire trenches where it passes through so that there is no way short of ripping yourself apart or blasting in to get to the area where an accident it possible?
    The train hangs down from the track, and the riders feet pass underneath this area, so it really isn't easier to secure that area. Besides, if you use something like this as a reason that Six Flags would be at fault for this, Disney should be at fault for the people on the monorail tracks (since they weren't secured), the People Mover deaths (since they weren't forced to stay in the car via harness) and the Matterhorn deans (since again, they weren't forced to stay in the car via harness). On top of that, I would argue that both Big Thunder and the Matterhorn are infinitely more dangerous than Batman because of how easy it would be to access most of the ground area terrain, but I bet that if people started suggesting that we should surround those rides with barbed wire that people here would throw a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The first incident is not exactly comparable. The incident six years ago involved an employee who was able to let himself into the area through the gate. That man was not trespassing. This kid first trespassed by skipping the park entrance, and then again when he entered a restricted area of the park.
    That man was not trespassing, although he was doing something that was completely against the rules of the park and the procedure for how to go about obtaining a lost item. While he wasn't trespassing, what he did was equally stupid and not the fault of Six Flags in any way.

• Rear Window=Best Movie

Read inside the mouse... they have an excellent chapter detaling crime and deaths at Disney World. Their are a lot more Disney Deaths than just the ones mentioned....

Quote Originally Posted by WDWImagineer View Post
    Read inside the mouse... they have an excellent chapter detaling crime and deaths at Disney World. Their are a lot more Disney Deaths than just the ones mentioned....
    I have read that book, however I don't blame Disney for deaths regarding:

- Guest on guest violence (stabbing in Tomorrowland)
    - Pre-existing conditions (Expedition Everest or Mission: Space deaths, for instance)

I also didn't include Six Flags with the same sorts of deaths. I only cited instances where people were killed by something related to a ride that could have been prevented, be it guest or employee. For instance, I counted the death at Disney World from the Skyway incident, as well as the People Mover deaths, as both of those theoretically could have been prevented by different ride designs or safety procedures, although they were ultimately due to stupidity, which is the same thing as what Six Flags has in this case.

The only true strictly mechanical issue that did not involve some error in judgment of either a rider or because of an employee failing to check a harness properly is the Big Thunder accident.

Depending on how you look at it, Six Flags either has had one incident like this (the Roaring Rapids at Six Flags Over Texas incident where the raft flipped), or three although two of which the details are sketchy on but the people seem to have worked their way free of the harnesses.

Bottom lining it -- if you do what you're told, amusement park rides are *extremely* safe no matter where you go or what the ride is like. If you go into a restricted area, jump from car to car, or act in a manner that was not planned for the operation of the ride or attraction, you put yourself into jeopardy.

• Rear Window=Best Movie

goatdan, your'e absolutely right. an amusement park is extremely safe. just follow the rules. majority of all these deaths were the patrons' fault not the opeartor and the ride designer could also be blamed for many design flaws.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345