12:00 AM, 30-JUNE-08
SCI-FI WIRE
Oldman Confirms Carol Roles

Gary Oldman confirmed to reporters that he will be playing at least three characters in Robert Zemeckis' upcoming motion-capture-animated A Christmas Carol, including Tiny Tim.

"I play Marley," Oldman said in a group interview in Beverly Hills, Calif., on June 29, where he was promoting The Dark Knight. "I play Tiny Tim, and I play Bob Cratchit, so I play three [characters]."

In the animated film--which Zemeckis is directing with the same technology he used in last year's Beowulf--Oldman will play opposite Jim Carrey as Scrooge in the retelling of Charles Dickens' classic Christmas ghost story.

Oldman disputed reports that acting in a motion-capture studio was like doing theater. "People that have never done theater say it's like [that]," he said, adding, "It's nothing like theater." Rather, he said, he performs his part in an empty room surrounded by "200 cameras, ... and you don't wear a costume, and you have dots on your face, and Zemeckis will make the movie in the computer later."

Oldman will next be seen as police detective James Gordon in The Dark Knight, which opens July 18. --
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=56930

Robert Zemeckis on Performance Capture - 9/10/07
Zemeckis on Performance Capture for 'Beowulf' & Disney's 'A Christmas Carol'