Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Question PIXAR's Successful Non-Girly Animated Movies!

PIXAR itself has become one of Hollywood's most successful stories.

Amazing Short CGI Cartoons ~ each trying to stretch the bounds of CGI animation, (very similar to the training ground Walt used when developing the Silly Syphonies.) Each of these shorts, along with the newest "Presto" are works of art, and dare I say THE most successful consecutive string of animated shorts in film history!

Amazing Feature Length CGI Movies, including Histories very first animated feature, "Toy Story". Each and every single animated feature has come to critical acclaim. Each story is unique to itself and have created increasingly more and more visual stunning artistry.

No Hollywood Studio has ever had such a consecutive history of successful groundbreaking films as PIXAR has! And unlike it's "Partner in Disney" PIXAR has managed to create such huge appeal to each of it's movies. And even more amazing is that PIXAR has done all this without focusing in on the "Girly appeal" of princesses!

Only ONE of PIXAR's movies, the one that appears on most everyone's LEAST favorite PIXAR movie list, has any kind of "Royalty". That movie is "Bug's Life" with Princess Atta, Princess Dot, and uh Queen, Phyllis Diller. Of course, even in that movie, the focus is not on them, but on Flik. So even this movie isn't really a girly movie.

Is PIXAR's success partly due to the avoidance of girly movies? Is PIXAR more of a Boy's club? Sure, there have been some romances, but Mr. and Mrs. Potatohead don't fall into that Princess Fantasy Fair Realm. It's probably a good thing PIXAR has steared away from any sloppy princess romance stories.

• Banned User

Re: PIXAR's Successful Non-Girly Animated Movies!

"Non-Girly"?

• Minion

It is an odd coincidence that PIXAR's movies are very different from the Princess faire that many people associate with Disney. I don't think the fact that a movie has a princess as the main character makes it a girly movie, but many people do and that is why I wasn't fond of movies like Snow White and Cinderella as a child, though I like them now.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    It's probably a good thing PIXAR has steared away from any sloppy princess romance stories.
    Hate to burst your bubble, but...

Brenda Chapman's current project for Pixar, The Bear and the Bow, features Princess Merida as the main character (voiced by Reese Witherspoon). Not a supporting character like Princess Atta, but the leading main protagonist.

FINALLY!!!

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

*waits for the obvious "it's a girl leading the project, so that's the only reason" argument that is inevitable...*
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Sock Puppet

Courtesy of characterdesign.blogspot.com...
    http://bp0.blogger.com/_IVz6eiQYukI/...1600-h/bow.jpg

The reason that films are generally unpopular has to do with the story and the manner in which it is told. Just because Bugs Life was slightly less popular than Toy Story does not really mean anything, especially because Pixar has never released a poor-grossing film. It just means that the film probably has a weaker story line, and not that is has weaker character subjects (but I do think you could say the film's characters were weaker mainly because there were so many).
    Although Toy Story was Pixar's first film, they received a lot of coaching from Disney when going through the story process. A Bug's Life was really their first "solo" film... and look at what they created!

That being said, Pixar does not have the strongest cast of female characters. Largely because there just aren't that many girls in the field. But that will be changing very soon.

• Sock Puppet

Opps sorry.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    Courtesy of characterdesign.blogspot.com...
    http://bp0.blogger.com/_IVz6eiQYukI/...1600-h/bow.jpg

The reason that films are generally unpopular has to do with the story and the manner in which it is told. Just because Bugs Life was slightly less popular than Toy Story does not really mean anything, especially because Pixar has never released a poor-grossing film. It just means that the film probably has a weaker story line, and not that is has weaker character subjects (but I do think you could say the film's characters were weaker mainly because there were so many).
    Although Toy Story was Pixar's first film, they received a lot of coaching from Disney when going through the story process. A Bug's Life was really their first "solo" film... and look at what they created!

That being said, Pixar does not have the strongest cast of female characters. Largely because there just aren't that many girls in the field. But that will be changing very soon.
    So Disney didn't coach PIXAR on any films after Toy Story 1? Also, remember that Snow White had a female protagonist and that was made in an environment and society that was a lot more male dominated, than the current one of PIXAR.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It may not have a princess in it, but Wall-E is quite the romance story.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    So Disney didn't coach PIXAR on any films after Toy Story 1? Also, remember that Snow White had a female protagonist and that was made in an environment and society that was a lot more male dominated, than the current one of PIXAR.
    No, thats why I put "solo" in quotes. Obviously the Disney name was still on it so Disney was still involved. But in no way was Disney so involved in any other of the Pixar films. During Toy Story, they were trying to literally shape Toy Story into the film they wanted it to be.. making Woody look like a not very nice guy. After Pixar proved itself, that influence was lessened obviously-via much LESS story "help."

Yes, but do you really think that Snow White is a good example of a strong female character?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    PIXAR itself has become one of Hollywood's most successful stories.

Amazing Short CGI Cartoons ~ each trying to stretch the bounds of CGI animation, (very similar to the training ground Walt used when developing the Silly Syphonies.) Each of these shorts, along with the newest "Presto" are works of art, and dare I say THE most successful consecutive string of animated shorts in film history!

You can dare say it but I would not agree at all (see Mickey Mouse, Silli Symphonies, Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, Tom and Jerry, Tex Avery at MGM etc)

As for the key to Pixar's success - it has nothing to do with 'non-girliness' and more to do with envelope-pushing animation coupled with very strong scripts and characterization. End of story.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    No, thats why I put "solo" in quotes. Obviously the Disney name was still on it so Disney was still involved. But in no way was Disney so involved in any other of the Pixar films. During Toy Story, they were trying to literally shape Toy Story into the film they wanted it to be.. making Woody look like a not very nice guy. After Pixar proved itself, that influence was lessened obviously-via much LESS story "help."

Yes, but do you really think that Snow White is a good example of a strong female character?
    I thought PIXAR was going to have a meaning looking Woody and then it developed into the friendly looking Woody in the film, not the other way around. I don't see hoe Woody looks like a not very nice guy in the film, but I may be misinterpretting what you are saying.

Snow White isn't that strong of a female protagonist compared to Belle for example. However, one must remember that gender issues were tremendously different in 1937 than in 1991. For 1937, Snow White was a fairly strong female character, even though if the film was released in 2008, the film would likely be highly criticized for it's depiction of a female herorine.

Anyway, if someone wants a really strong female herorine, may I suggest The Machine Girl.

• Senior Minion

I thought PIXAR was going to have a meaning looking Woody and then it developed into the friendly looking Woody in the film, not the other way around. I don't see hoe Woody looks like a not very nice guy in the film, but I may be misinterpretting what you are saying.
    I think that the poster was referring to Woody's motives in the original movie as opposed to his looks. He is afterall driven by arrogance and jealousy once Buzz arrives - although he is hardly the first animated flawed hero.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Sock Puppet

Snow White isn't that strong of a female protagonist compared to Belle for example. However, one must remember that gender issues were tremendously different in 1937 than in 1991. For 1937, Snow White was a fairly strong female character, even though if the film was released in 2008, the film would likely be highly criticized for it's depiction of a female herorine.

Anyway, if someone wants a really strong female herorine, may I suggest The Machine Girl.
    Yes, like nathan detroit pointed out it was the STORY that made Woody look like a not very nice character... not his design. Executives at Disney lead the story in a way that made him really look like a jerk... rather than the well-developed and flawed character that he is. For more info try to catch a viewing of the Pixar Story or read To Infinity and Beyond and you will understand what I am talking about.

As for Snow White, I am not even attempting to compare her to the heroines of todays films. Overall, I really don't see much of anything she did that was "strong".. and she is a flat character. I understand that you are trying to point out that female characters of the time were generally all subject to the feeling about women at the time... but its hard to argue that she does anything strong in relation to women in other films in the same time-period. She's just average and a female heroine subject to the prejudices of her time. But for the time period that was FINE. It was the first full-length animated film released to the masses. Hey, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs has some nice animation but there is no denying that Disney used a fair (or dare I say a lot) of rotoscoping on that film. The film was not popular just because of a "strong female character."

Today good animated films are about the story. I think that Disney, in recent years, has had trouble understanding that.. i.e. Treasure Planet and Atlantis.

• Circle of Ancients

A Bugs Life is my favorite Pixar movie. And I KNOW I'm not the only one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast